ivankiss

How to talk about Nonduality and not sound like a lunatic?

34 posts in this topic

Consciousness, Nonduality, Singularity, Oneness, God, Love... it all became a very real and direct thing to me. There's nothing woo woo or mystical about it anymore. Nothing spiritual about it, either. It's right in my face, so to speak. It's directly accessible - if you will. It's so simple and obvious.

But the language I used to use in order to describe it and do the work, is kinda funny. There's a lot of nonsense and distortion in this 'spiritual jargon', and I just adopted it as I was going. It was useful at some point, to make sense of some things and cope with them.

But now I kinda see the limitations of it. It's kinda annoying too - to be honest. It sounds like some hippy dippy garbage. It simply does not hit the nail on the head. It does not sound real and grounded enough.

How would you speak of all this stuff, that can be heard as quite 'out there', in a simple and down-to-earth way? 

Well haha, I'm trying to do that also, because many people tend to call the new age language woowoo, and I think the way to do that might be by analyzing each "woowoo" concepts, understanding what terms really refer to in the "normal" language, and translating those concepts into that language. 

Leos videos are all doing exactly this, translating things to our culture and explaining things as simply as possible. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Vibroverse It just has to be relatable, imo. Like, I'd say that everyone can relate to having thoughts, feelings, perceiving things and being conscious now...Not everyone can relate to "infinity, God, unconditional Love", etc. Most of these words are off putting to most people. Because negative connotation and stuff.

@integral Yeah, kind of... But no, not really. It's close, but still can be heard as woo woo nonsense easily.

3 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

@Vibroverse It just has to be relatable, imo. Like, I'd say that everyone can relate to having thoughts, feelings, perceiving things and being conscious now...Not everyone can relate to "infinity, God, unconditional Love", etc. Most of these words are off putting to most people. Because negative connotation and stuff.

@integral Yeah, kind of... But no, not really. It's close, but still can be heard as woo woo nonsense easily.

Yeah I understand, and I also have a huge new age lingo, so it is even harder with that lingo sometimes haha. But I think the point is mostly about being centered ourselves, unconditionally, and let the conceptuality that makes sense be, like, inspired in us. 

43 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

Most of these words are off putting to most people.

Getting over the offputtingness of it is part of work.

Basically the most grounded way to explaining all this to someone is that you realize ever deeper that reality is just a mental construction -- the entire universe. This mental quality to absolutely everything is called God. God is the realization of Infinite Mind. If a mind could dream up an entire reality you would call it God.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Vibroverse said:

I think the point is mostly about being centered ourselves, unconditionally, and let the conceptuality that makes sense be, like, inspired in us. 

Yeah, I like that. I agree. It can vary from situation to situation. You can arrive to the same "point" from many directions.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Getting over the offputtingness of it is part of work.

True. I know that. The one I'm talking to probably does not. It's just off putting to them.

Btw, I'm not planning on becoming a teacher, a guru, a mentor or anything like that. I'm curious about this simply because I'd like to be able to speak openly and casually about this stuff, to pretty much anybody, without sounding ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Basically the most grounded way to explaining all this to someone is that you realize ever deeper that reality is just a mental construction -- the entire universe. This mental quality to absolutely everything is called God. God is the realization of Infinite Mind. If a mind could dream up an entire reality you would call it God.

Yeah, if I was to say this to a random stranger on the street, they would probably think I lost it.

7 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

It's just off putting to them.

Well, tough shit. Their loss.

2 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

Yeah, if I was to say this to a random stranger on the street, they would probably think I lost it.

This work cannot be done without openmindedness and curiosity.

Don't pick fruit which is not ripe.

Don't cast pearls before swine.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 minute ago, ivankiss said:

Depending on who you're talking to, you can study and receive help from people, like, the idealist philosophers perhaps, like Berkeley or Hegel, if referring to them would make you feel less weird haha. 

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, tough shit. Their loss.

This work cannot be done without openmindedness and curiosity.

Don't pick fruit which is not ripe.

Don't cast pearls before swine.

Amen. Let God bring to you those who are ready for you. 

Edited by Vibroverse

@Vibroverse @Leo Gura Are you guys saying I should be selective about who I speak to about this stuff? Because that's what I was kind of going with so far, and I'm not sure if it's "the right thing" to do. Why couldn't I casually talk to the waiter about everything being One and infinite? Or my mechanic, or that girl I like, or my boss...?

It feels like I'm kind of supressing my authenticity by "not going there" or thinking that "they're just not ready yet". It smells like judgment, too.

Edited by ivankiss

You can’t do the spiritual work for the other. Also no need to reinvent the wheel. Proven method of ghurus is riddles to spark curiosity. Don’t preach. 

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck I'm not trying to do the work for them, or even inspire them to do the work. Just communicate stuff that's on my mind, without sounding crazy. "Proven methods" - yeah, that's kind of questionable too.

9 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

without sounding crazy.

Bro, embrace the crazy and enjoy yourself.

I make a game out of provoking people :D

You gotta be playful about it, like a white devil, trickster archetype.

You don't attract people with logic but with charisma.

Edited by Leo Gura

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I hear you. I might just give it a try :D

Still, I think things could be simplified and brought down to earth. It could be more casual and less overblown.

The more you get the direct experience, the less you resonate with how people language spiritual things. It's very easy to get lost in other people's way of languaging this stuff. I don't even like the word "consciousness" anymore. If I had to use any word at all, I'd choose "being".

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

47 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Now I'm wondering: do you ever talk to girls that you are approaching about this kind of stuff?

Let's say it turns out one girl you are flirting with is into spirituality, does it make sense to start a topic like nonduality? :D

does it even ever get spiritual? :D

4 minutes ago, Mormegil said:

Now I'm wondering: do you ever talk to girls that you are approaching about this kind of stuff?

Let's say it turns out one girl you are flirting with is into spirituality, does it make sense to start a topic like nonduality? :D

does it even ever get spiritual? :D

Spiritual trolling is certainly on the table.

I sometimes open with:

Let's do DMT!

Edited by Leo Gura