mac99

Can enlightenment prevent you from taking things personal?

14 posts in this topic

Does reaching enlightenment prevent you from taking things personal? Like if someone were to insult you or try to verbally put you down/attack you and your enlightened, does it have any effect on you? This is something I've been struggling with in different jobs where I work with toxic people often, and I'm hoping spiritual development/enlightenment can help.

The more enlightened you are, the less you judge the experiences of life. You realize that judgment creates dualities of good and evil, and is the source of suffering.

Life itself is an incredible gift in a cosmos that is almost entirely devoid of it. The energy of even an insult is as spectacular as a supernova. What else in the universe can claim to have experienced it?

You don’t have to be a slave to the judgmental mind. Why not let the energy of the experience pass through you and cherish the phenomenal rush? Soon enough, you will be dead and beyond the lessons life has offered you. Honor each experience without labeling it, and you will be free to love and live unconditionally. 

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

2 hours ago, Moksha said:

You realize that judgment creates dualities of good and evil, and is the source of suffering.

Wow, that also cleared up other confusion I had. Thanks this will be really helpful.

@mac99 ?

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

15 hours ago, mac99 said:

Does reaching enlightenment prevent you from taking things personal? Like if someone were to insult you or try to verbally put you down/attack you and your enlightened, does it have any effect on you? This is something I've been struggling with in different jobs where I work with toxic people often, and I'm hoping spiritual development/enlightenment can help.

I'm pretty sure an enlightened person doesn't take things personal as there is no more person left to be effected :)

Which means he or she won't worry too much about some random opinion of someone or it won't bother them for weeks like it does most people.

However don't make the mistake to think that an enlightened person won't defend himself! It all depends on the situation. Of the verbal attack is unjustified or inapropriately rude, even an enlightenend one will get angry and stand up for himself. People like to think they are completely detached and you can treat them however you want, they won't fight back, but that's a fantasy.

They probably harder to get angry and like I said won't hold grudges or hold negative thoughts for long, as it is basically useless, but they will probably tell you straight in your face what they think, if you treat them badly.

A character can seem to keep taking things personally or not, whether or not enlightenment has "happened". There is no rule.

The weather appears just as the behaviour of a character appears.

Apparently.

5 hours ago, Mormegil said:

However don't make the mistake to think that an enlightened person won't defend himself!

It's called righteous indignation xD

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves.

jesus temple.jpg

It helps but it doesn't automatically make you emotionally invulnerable.

You gotta do inner work on your emotional reactivity and dropping caring what people think about you. Awakening gives you something to ground yourself into, which makes that much easier. You stop caring so much about human monkey games.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Moksha said:

It's called righteous indignation xD

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves.

Thanks, thats a good example for what I meant.

I like to stress this point out cause I feel like alot of people got all those fantasies of how an enlightened person should behave (all peaceful and passive and calm and so forth), but this is such an childish image.

@Mormegil

Enlightenment is when the “person” (really just a process of seeking and attaching) is no more. It is liberation from apparent personhood.

Taking things “personally” (really just the appearance of anxiety) seems to happen less or maybe not at all, but there is no hard and fast rule, and there is no choice in it. 

Whatever seems to appear is just appearing, including all behaviours and apparent activities of people. There is nothing an “enlightened person” could do differently one way or the other. No one left to take things “personally” or not.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

Love is never personal.

Love is never resentful

Love is never impatiant.

Love is never arrogant ( nor even humble actually, it's just glorious and fantastic )

Love is never proud

Love is never ashamed

Love is never insecure

Love is never regretful.

Love is never stingy.

Love is never jealous

Love is never sorrow.

Love is never depressed

Love has no sense of lack.

Love has no attachments.

Love is never afraid.

Love is never under any kind of threat.

Love allows all things, heals all things, transmutes all things, blesses all things, extends itself infinetly into all directions. Love is your only reality.

If that's your definition of enlightenment then yea, you should go for it ?

Edited by Salvijus

16 hours ago, Mormegil said:

I like to stress this point out cause I feel like alot of people got all those fantasies of how an enlightened person should behave (all peaceful and passive and calm and so forth), but this is such an childish image.

The surest sign a person isn't enlightened is any "should" behavior. When I started losing my identity, my biggest fear was that in the process I would lose morality. If everything in the cosmos is an illusion, wouldn't that include rules about how a person should behave?

Then I realized that the light within which is your ultimate nature is inherently divine. It is unconditional love. By living in alignment with yourself, you are beyond the need for shoulds.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, mac99 said:

Being enlightened doesn't mean being emotionally dead or detached, neither does it mean being a doormat.

People have all the confusing examples from history, like Jesus or Gandhi.

It's none of that shit.  In fact, you may become more self-assertive in a healthy way after being enlightened.

If someone's attacking you, you stand up for yourself.  You can do this before or after enlightenment.

the more awake, the less barriers you will put to your pain. the normal thing is that you realize that it was much bigger than you thought. being human is painful