Optimized Life

Eating vegetables feels "pointless", does anyone actually bother

26 posts in this topic

How's your digestion going? Fibers in veggies make poop come out easier, better and cleaner.

Sailing on the ceiling 

On 27/01/2023 at 7:27 AM, Michael569 said:

Because you don't understand the role nutrition plays in human biology beyond energy and protein muscle synthesis. That's okay, most people don't unless they've spent years studying this stuff. It is not the most intuitive thing, and I agree with you, authorities have done poor role in communicating this. 

it all depends on your goals:

• If your focus is muscle & energy right now and you don't care about health preservation,, you don't need them.
  • If your focus is longevity, peak health and delaying chronic disease and being around long enough, you ABSOLUTELY need them. 

Each time you eat any vegetable, it's like you take in a cocktail of thousands of phytochemicals wrapped in oligosaccharides with all sorts of possible effects on a variety of systems, receptors and secondary messenger molecules. . We could go into mechanisms but that wouldn't interest anybody so let's just say if you care about avoiding 3 most common cancers men below 50 get in UK, you NEED TO eat vegetables on daily basis.

The trick is to find an easy way to include them, so you actually crave more rather than less. Raw veggies as a side salad is IMO boring and tastes like paper. My personal preference is batch cooking - mostly Indian, Chinese and Mexican style of cooking, this is where veggies & spices actually make up the majority of the taste & texture.

Get a nice cookbook and with some creativity, you can turn veggies into your favourite foods. Once you've had your first curry pumpkin coconut soup with garlic, onions and carrots you'll realise how much have you been missing out on with meat & carb diet. 

Great clarification , thank you.

Appearances can be deceiving. The most disgusting food in terms of taste can be the healthiest one, for example a cooked, unsalted, plain broccoli.

As an analogy, if the criterion is taste and titillation, you might prefer sugary drinks over water because the latter is tasteless and might be considered "bland", depending on your taste buds/palate. But in this example water is, as you know, the healthy option.

Vegetables aren't very filling, they're low in calories and provide various antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, etc. Whatever the latter means. ;) 

Edited by UnbornTao

Yess i love veggies. 
Now travelling in latin america and miss many of the veggies and salads we usually eat in europe.

I don't consume vegetables anymore besides the occasional potatoes, only green-sprouts sometimes and sea greens. I found I naturally gravitate toward the fruits and not the vegetables, I have become aware that we (Homo sapiens) are frugivores by design, not herbivores. Fruits are absorbed differently, think "cellular nourishment" it will cleanse and energize you like no other food source. They contain all the things we need.

Ultimately, you must follow what feels best and true to you, it will unravel itself.

Not everyone is the same. I have been eating mostly vegan, now vegetarian, for 28 years. I never had any digestion problems in general.

I do have problems with cucumbers and curcuma. That's not a huge loss for me.

But there are people who get serious problems from eating vegetables.

Edited by mostly harmless