coburn

Is it worth consuming news?

7 posts in this topic

I often get a bit annoyed, angry or sad reading news and i have to admit i do it too often when im bored. While its up to me to change that, im wondering if there are really any good reasons to consume "regular" news?

Most of the stuff doesnt affect me anyway and im also unable to change or better 99% of it. If its important enough i will get informed through people around me anyway. Its seems news is just entertainment mostly.

Its not useful or important to read the news, if something of actual importance happens you will be made aware of it by social circles or major sites you visit.

The news doesn't represent the world around us, its designed for clicks and attention, so it shows ONLY what stimulates you. Its as bad for your brain as watching tv all day. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@coburn

25 minutes ago, coburn said:

I often get a bit annoyed, angry or sad reading news and i have to admit i do it too often when im bored. While its up to me to change that, im wondering if there are really any good reasons to consume "regular" news?

Most of the stuff doesnt affect me anyway and im also unable to change or better 99% of it. If its important enough i will get informed through people around me anyway. Its seems news is just entertainment mostly.

Yes, every now and then per week.

@Danioover9000

What do you personally gain/satisfy by doing it?

@Rafael Thundercat

Sure it is but i wouldnt say its a cruical life choice or why did link that article? Just looking for ideas and other peoples motivations.

After the past years I realized I had spent way too much time reading news.. sure there was alot going on in the world, similar to it is now, but it doesn't actually provide much benefit for your everyday life.. as you say, it just makes you angry and frustrated.

During this whole corona time it drove me basically into depression for a long time and i only got out by completely quitting news.

I feel like its much better for ones mental health to have a specific time to check it, like once a week, just to stay up to date and that's it.

But ultimately it's up to you.

@coburn

11 hours ago, coburn said:

@Danioover9000

What do you personally gain/satisfy by doing it?

@Rafael Thundercat

Sure it is but i wouldnt say its a cruical life choice or why did link that article? Just looking for ideas and other peoples motivations.

More knowledge for me.