bloomer

Does suffering actually build character?

36 posts in this topic

I think suffering, if handled with consciousness over time is very valuable. That’s how you learn the value of things.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I think you can learn a lot from situations that have caused you to suffer if you handled it consciously. But I think it's important to not romanticize suffering as the thing that build someone's character. A person isn't strong because of what they went through, they are strong despite it and they were strong before it. Plus, you can learn the same valuable lessons without going through suffereing and a lot of pain. Being challenged it good, suffering is not. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

2 hours ago, bloomer said:

Funny. Yeah I mean what exactly are you being conscious of.

The next time you suffer, pause in the middle of it and make the distinction in your direct experience between suffering consciousness vs unconsciously. Unconscious suffering is usually some kind of sneaky avoidance mechanism, like if you yell at someone or blame someone. Conscious suffering is to suffering and reflect on the root causes of the suffering. What lead you suffer? How is your ego-mind responsible? What have you been avoiding that lead up to it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, jimwell said:

xD Why complicate things? You should simplify things instead.

Of course; if there was a way to produce cooked ramen without using heat, I would go that way.

Unfortunately, in this world we live in, it is only heat which produces cooked ramen; hence heat is valuable. 

Ramen is bad for you anyway 

Fire is needed (and valuable for certain things) but that doesn’t mean you should put your ass on fire and value your ass on fire.

It is semantics. 

In the gym: weight is good but that doesn’t mean you should drop a dumbbell on your feet or do exercises the wrong way injuring yourself. Dumbbell weight is only valuable for your body if you do it consciously and with good execution. 

Suffering is the effect, not the cause of things. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

On 1/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, bloomer said:

I feel this is just a lie so that you shut up and don't complain about your problems. Am I wrong in my feeling?

Suffering is everything and it is what leads to enlightenment.  Mankind suffers because it is finite.  That's the beautiful thing about God.  That God could create something imperfect and then this imperfect being will go to endless lengths to ensure its own existence.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Suffering in living beings is a mechanism to avoid certain situations and pursue others. in animals it is basic: pain, hunger, mating. in humans it is complex, the ego desires many things and rejects many things. they all produce suffering. It is the same mechanism as pain or hunger, an uncontrollable energy that forces you. Ego suffering is a great teacher because it points you to the power of illusion.

10 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Suffering in living beings is a mechanism to avoid certain situations and pursue others. in animals it is basic: pain, hunger, mating. in humans it is complex, the ego desires many things and rejects many things. they all produce suffering. It is the same mechanism as pain or hunger, an uncontrollable energy that forces you. Ego suffering is a great teacher because it points you to the power of illusion.

Nay. It is built into being finite.  It is fundamental.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

21 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Nay. It is built into being finite.  It is fundamental.

A cat in a sofa is finite and it's not suffering 

Not necessarily, but suffering usually leads to searching ways of being wiser and more intelligent to suffer less, or not suffer at all.

It is not an option to not suffer.  Everyone suffers; some people wind up more resilient, compassionate, and wise for it, others become bitter, feel cheated and become envious of those whom they perceive as not suffering or suffering less.

The difference is ENTITLEMENT.  If you feel entitled not to suffer, you're more likely to wind up in the second group.

1 hour ago, Breakingthewall said:

It is because it's aging    

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

30 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

It is because it's aging    

?? human suffering is nothing more than the guide that tells you where you have to go and where you have to arrive. If there is enough vital force in you, you will seek to transcend suffering. it is like a game, an enigma. It is extremely complicated, much, much more than it seems. you have to understand, deeply, far beyond the conceptual. understand what the structure of reality is, align yourself with it, without leaving even a micron.

2 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

Try kicking it :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Try kicking it :P

And he will make you suffer. karma in action

2 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

?? human suffering is nothing more than the guide that tells you where you have to go and where you have to arrive. If there is enough vital force in you, you will seek to transcend suffering. it is like a game, an enigma. It is extremely complicated, much, much more than it seems. you have to understand, deeply, far beyond the conceptual. understand what the structure of reality is, align yourself with it, without leaving even a micron.

You can't escape suffering.  You can just learn to live with it.  I'm talking about being mortal or finite.  This comes with a price.  The price is you whither away.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Today I reflected that all my suffering I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world. Suffering is a two way street it can build your character and infuse you with enorms wisdom and compassion, or it can lead to total destruction. The only difference is are you conscious of where that suffering leads you? Or do you just wanna engage in illussion, projections and being a hopeless ego? There is something behind all the suffering, all the pain.