Something Funny

Leg Day Ideas?

45 posts in this topic

Are you training for hypertrophy or strength primarily? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Something Funny Not my forte then, I'm focused on Hypertrophy & muscle gain. 

Best off following powerlifters for that kind of stuff

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 25.1.2023 at 4:33 PM, Something Funny said:

What do you think about the below:

1. Threadmill running for 15 mins as a warmup

2. Barbell Squats: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

3. Deadlifts: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

4. Lunges ???

5. More running? Maybe mix faster and slower speeds and do that for 30 mins?

To be honest I dont know what number of sets and reps is ideal, people online throw alot of numbers around. But what i the most is 3 sets with 8-12 reps should be ideal for muscle growth.

Also i think too many reps are not good for your joints, so in general i try not to go over 15. I will add on some weight instead.

It also depends what your goals are.

For example, I workout give my body some challenges he is designed for and overall to stay fit and healthy. I'm not trying optimize every rep in my training, and get the maximum size of all my muscles :D

You can do the program you designed and keep on it for a few weeks and see how it works for you and then adjust accordingly.

On 25.1.2023 at 4:33 PM, Something Funny said:

5. More running? Maybe mix faster and slower speeds and do that for 30 mins?

Running is cardio and i wouldn't add it on a leg day. Cardio i think is good to do on days where you don't workout your muscles, i think it helps them recover. 

Also just in general, be careful not to put too many excersizes in one day. Im sure 3 leg excersizes are fine for the beginning. Again, depends on your goals and also where you are at now.

Assuming you want to hit legs 2x each week, alternate between those two workouts:

Screenshot 2023-01-26 174457.png

Screenshot 2023-01-26 174525.png

Edited by Godhead

@Mormegil

1 hour ago, Mormegil said:

Running is cardio and i wouldn't add it on a leg day. Cardio i think is good to do on days where you don't workout your muscles, i think it helps them recover. 

Also just in general, be careful not to put too many excersizes in one day. Im sure 3 leg excersizes are fine for the beginning. Again, depends on your goals and also where you are at now.

Is there something in particular that's wrong with adding it to a leg day?

The thing is idk where else I am supposed to add it.

I plan to train 6 days a week using push/pull/legs split adding 7th cardio day sounds like an overkill xD

@Forza-Spirito he looks interesting, I will check him out.

@Judy2 why do you prefer steps over running?

@Godhead as I said, I am not really a fun of using machines or over complicated / hard to set-up exercises like hip thrusts for example.

You need enough place to lay down and to not get in other people's way, you need some kind of matts behind your back, you need to crawl under the barbell after each set. 

The same thing with "swiss ball single leg curl", sounds too tedious, haha

I want my workouts to be something that I enjoy.

@Judy2 want me to be honest? xD

I feel kind of awkward trying it because it is a "girls' exercise", haha.

Edit: also, I do like running

Edited by Something Funny

@Judy2 one good thing about it is that you don't have to do it on an empty stomach. Perfect "getting out of depression" exercise actually. 

@Judy2 what do you mean?

What I meant is that I often struggle with depression and ego backlashes. And in such moments I tend to overeat a lot (like order 2 pizzas from uber eats a lot). Going to the gym woild be a great way to change your state, but you can't exercise much on a full stomach, right? Well, this is snot that much of an issue with this exercise.

Or at least I assume so because I never had much issue going up a normal staircase on a full stomach. 

@Judy2 no worries )

2 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

btw you don't need to go to the gym right after overeating. perhaps it's better to go in the morning or afternoon?

Yeah, I know but sometimes I just need something to get me out of the negative state of mind. And working out while also being around people helps with that.

4 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

having a more balanced meal plan/schedule and eating enough throughout the day might also prevent you from overeating. and of course there's an emotional side to this as well, which you are hopefully aware of.

Haha, well the issue with me is that I will eat crap and be depressed for one day and then get mad at myself and do a 24 hour fast on the next day. And that's while going to a dietician and trying to be vegan...

But I am working on it XD.

6 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

when i'm at the gym i'm either doing well or i enter freeze mode and feel like i want to lie down on the floor and cry. so i get where you're coming from. 

Yeah, I know. 

Also, don't be sorry, it was really nice talking with you :)

4 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

next time, try skipping this part. it might help you break the cycle:)

Okay, haha

Thank you, you too )

14 hours ago, Something Funny said:

Is there something in particular that's wrong with adding it to a leg day?

The thing is idk where else I am supposed to add it.

I plan to train 6 days a week using push/pull/legs split adding 7th cardio day sounds like an overkill xD

I don't think there's anything wrong with it^^ like I said, I usually hear that people do cardio workout in between their strength workout as it helps the muscles to recover faster.

But if your schedule is so full already it makes definetly no sense to add another day! That would be way too much!

So you can try out and add it to your leg day, see how works for you.

Just in general I would suggest you not to overdo it. 6 workouts per week is already alot and I personally would then keep each daily workout short with only a few different excersizes. Just be careful not to pack too much into one day.

13 hours ago, Something Funny said:

@AJBrew why? Why not a pistol squat then?

Thats not great for your knees.