Something Funny

Leg Day Ideas?

45 posts in this topic

Can someone help me come up with a nice leg day workout, please?

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Barbell Squats: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

2. Deadlifts: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

What else can I add? I was thinking about something with a higher rep range?

- Weighted pistol squats?

- Box Jumps?

I don't really like working out on machines.

What about lunges?

I personally like to do only one type of squats, so I would chose between the standards and pistols.

@Mormegil yeah, I knowbthey are kind of repetitive,  Injust didn't have any better ideas :D

Do you mean some explosive/jumping lunges or weighted lunges with a barbell/kettlebells?

What do you think about the below:

1. Threadmill running for 15 mins as a warmup

2. Barbell Squats: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

3. Deadlifts: 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps + 3-5 minutes rest

4. Lunges ???

5. More running? Maybe mix faster and slower speeds and do that for 30 mins?

I wouldn’t train squats and deadlifts in the same workout because I would fear that my core and lower back won’t be able to handle it and I injure myself. Otherwise what exactly do you want to focus on? Quads, hamstrings, glutes? You already train all of these muscles with squats and deadlifts roughly equally I would say but of course muscle activation varies from person to person.

Edited by Jannes

Speak to the girls in the gym, not the guys. The girls have figured out all the hacks of getting the best lower body development. Ever noticed those 60kg girls deadlifting 90 kilos and squating 80? That's the people you need to ask these questions, not guys who barely squat their own bodyweight. 

From my experience if you ask girls for advice rather than guys they will absolutely love to share their secrets with you as you asking them is a sort of a major compliment. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Jannes well there is nowhere else where I can place them. I don't want to tire my muscles with deadlifts on a pull day as it's a priority for me.

Also, I've trained like that before and didn't have much issues. 

I don't have any specific goals. Just want to have strong, well developed legs.

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

You already train all of these muscles with squats and deadlifts roughly equally I would say but of course muscle activation varies from person to person.

Yeah, I know that. But doing just them feels kind of too little I guess? 

But I think adding lunges + running should do the trick.

@Michael569 haha, thank you for the life hack :D

5 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

@Jannes well there is nowhere else where I can place them. I don't want to tire my muscles with deadlifts on a pull day as it's a priority for me.

Also, I've trained like that before and didn't have much issues. 

Oh okay. Well if it works for you it’s fine I guess. You could also do Romanian or Stiffed Legged Deadlifts as an alternative to vanilla deadlifts which will Hammer the hamstrings even more but require less load in case you ever run into trouble. 

Leg Press

Hack Squats
Lunges

Whatever works best for you. 

Loads of options, if you're not into machines I'd add some bodyweight exercises like sissy squats, even glute bridges (you can add weight too ofc). Other than that... All variations of lunges, cossack squat, a lot of explosive movements you could add. Something extra for calves.

It depends on what your goals are too and on your actual physique level.

My leg days are Squats, Leg Press, and Deadlifts. In that order. It does everything I feel I need it to.

To be completely honest, it started out as just a third leg exercise to do but now I like it because I do a variation that allows me to go really deep on them and it works my glutes and hamstrings in a way that squats and deadlifts don't.

A compound one.

The only important is that whenever you hit a plateau with an exercise you change it up to a very similar variant that is only slightly different. You should have at least a few in the bag. Over time you'll learn how to find your weak spots..

That way you never plateu, because exercises carryover.

You should hit a small PR every  exercise / every time you lift. Doesn't matter if it's reps or weight.

2 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

@Michal__ what's PR?

Personal record.

Any small increase counts, since you're supposed to have them every workout.

a) until first serious plateus it's basically free gains (2plate bench, 3 plate squat, 4 plate deadlift - if you're going with classical lifts)

b) after that changing it up slightly is enough to almost never get stuck.

12 minutes ago, Michal__ said:

You should hit a small PR every  exercise / every time you lift. Doesn't matter if it's reps or weight.

Only if you are an absolute beginner. 

10 minutes ago, Michal__ said:

a) until first serious plateus it's basically free gains (2plate bench, 3 plate squat, 4 plate deadlift - if you're going with classical lifts)

It highly depends on genetics. I haven’t hit any of those strength marks and I have trained seriously for a long time. 

54 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Only if you are an absolute beginner. 

You should learn about concurrent periodization. 

Try to get a copy of naturally enhanced.

You will be surprised with how fast it's possible to progress even when you're very advanced, without any genetic talent or chemical help.

11 hours ago, Michal__ said:

You should learn about concurrent periodization. 

Try to get a copy of naturally enhanced.

You will be surprised with how fast it's possible to progress even when you're very advanced, without any genetic talent or chemical help.

Alex from AlphaDestiny is a salesmen when it comes to exercises. He sells exercises everybody already knows and does as if they were the new magic pill. The exercises he shows aren’t bad it’s just that even with great exercises you won’t be able to magically progress. His genius is rather to identify certain muscle groups like traps, forearms, neck, glutes and shoulders as very important for a muscular looking physique while others ignore those muscles and miss out.