Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eos_nyxia

Maganese Toxicity?

3 posts in this topic

I've spent some time over the years using websites like Nutrition Data to get an idea of how my micros/macro stack up on a daily basis. For the last year, I've occasionally been using this app called Cronometer from the same purpose.

So this is something that I've noticed: there are a lot of nutrient dense plant foods which are very rich in micros, especially ones like magnesium (which many tend to be low in), but also B vitamins (that you would have in plant foods) and also tend to have reasonable amounts of zinc/ selenium. However, they often have a lot of manganese in them. When I'm meeting and exceeding all of my other micros, my manganese tends be WAY over the RDV (often by about 7-10 times) and technically exceeding the daily recommended MG by a decent amount.

The worst offenders tend to be foods that are generally considered "very healthy" like: 1) organic sprouted, whole grain breads 2) hemp hearts 3) leafy green vegetables 4) legumes (e.g. lentils).

Should I be concerned about this over the long term?

I did a quick search on existing studies and info, and it's very conflicting. Quite a few sources say: it's only manganese from non-dietary sources (including manganese in water) and supplements that cause negative effects, and dietary sources are not known to cause any side effects. Other sources say: it doesn't matter what the source is, too much is too much.

For what it's worth, I tend to take RDV with a grain of salt... for example: I'm not that concerned about having too much vitamin D particularly, especially with dreary Pacific Northwest winters where you wake up and it's dark and cloudy all day. Yet overdosing on fat soluble vitamins is also something that you're warned against in... what should I call it? "generic nutritional science"?

@Michael569 If I remember right, you've read quite a few studies on nutrition. Is this something you know anything about?

Edited by eos_nyxia
If you're vegetarian/ vegan eating a bunch of "healthy foods" (as opposed to a bunch of refined carbs or fruit) like these your DRV for maganese is probably pretty high?

4 hours ago, eos_nyxia said:

my manganese tends be WAY over the RDV (often by about 7-10 times) and technically exceeding the daily recommended MG by a decent amount

Those daily recommended amounts are mostly pure BS.

Not sure about what the actual ceiling is on manganese. That's a pretty rare and uneventful vitamin. Seems to me that your body would just pee it out, but you'd want to double-check that.

If it's coming from eating whole foods it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@eos_nyxia this is not something I have looked extensively but to my knowledge dietary sources of manganese are safe. I have not heard of any case reports documenting manganese toxicity from the diet. 

Isolated manganese supplementation over long time could, maybe, become problematic. Conditionally, for some people. But I've not reviewed any research on this. Usually I don't advise people any form of hyper dosing unless it goes along the lines of medically tested deficiencies. 

This is a good report published by CDC on the topic. It seems the risk is more industrial and environmental exposure for people who live in proximity to mines, polluted waters etc. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp151-c2.pdf

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus