heisenburger

How To Cultivate Desire For Enlightenment.

14 posts in this topic

I recognise a little bit how enlightenment can end suffering. No matter what I achieve in life there's still always a desire for more. But when I think of meditating for thousands of hours it's like 'fuck me why would I do this?' What should I do if my motivation for enlightenment isn't strong enough to make me do all the practice. Should I just keep meditating and hope something hits me?

There are other reasons to meditate. Along with a balanced diet meditation is one of the healthiest things you can do. The desire for enlightenment won't really bite you  in the ass until you have your first awakening experience, either from meditation or psychedelics. 

1 hour ago, heisenburger said:

I recognise a little bit how enlightenment can end suffering. No matter what I achieve in life there's still always a desire for more. But when I think of meditating for thousands of hours it's like 'fuck me why would I do this?' What should I do if my motivation for enlightenment isn't strong enough to make me do all the practice. Should I just keep meditating and hope something hits me?

Hi,

Have you read many books..like Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Mooji? They're good for beginners I think. You could watch youtube videos- Tolle, Mooji, Adya, Rupert Spira. Getting insights/awakenings this way can keep you motivated. I didn't meditate (legs crossed, silent). I did/do Self inquiry and neti-neti.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 hours ago, heisenburger said:

What should I do if my motivation for enlightenment isn't strong enough to make me do all the practice.

Don't worry, the process of life will instill desire into you sooner or later.
As long as you know that enlightenment is achievable and you know the implications of enlightenment, you're good to go.

2 hours ago, heisenburger said:

Should I just keep meditating and hope something hits me?

If you're already meditating then you're golden.
Keep it up as best you can and you won't have to hope, something will hit you.
It's just a question of time.

42 minutes ago, Marc Schinkel said:

something will hit you.

@heisenburger, I will hit you if you don't meditate. Is it a good enough motivation?

2 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Have you read many books..like Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Mooji?

Have you, dear @heisenburger, have you read many books? Eckhart Tolle is a good book. Read it! 

You could also do a more tantric approach, do whatever you desire and enjoy and be present with it as much as possible.

5 hours ago, heisenburger said:

What should I do if my motivation for enlightenment isn't strong enough to make me do all the practice.

What you are asking is - where is the carrot which I can chase.

This is Ego, it wants something in return of work. Practice is non-doing, when you meditate you are still, you are not doing, you are not doer. The Ego cannot comprehend it, it demands stuff. The returns of meditation are exactly nil, instead you will lose stuff, the Egoic stuff - wants, desires, attachments, lower tendencies. Of course it is against the agenda of Ego, whose job is to amplify them.

So you do not need motivation, Ego needs it, and it will never get it, its goals are opposite. The desire to practice is not external, it is Grace. When you had enough of worldly/Egoic stuff and you are sick of it, you start to become still, you seek company of those who are free and wise, you start practicing, a path and teachers show up.

So you cannot force a motivation and cannot force yourself to practice by hook or crook. Anyhow, keep reading, watching, and doing whatever you think is best for you. Surround yourself with people who are on the same path. Hangout on this forum. And when you think all of this is too boring, take a break, do ordinary stuff for a while, and then back to practice. Your path will pull you back, ensure that it is the path of your heart.

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

13 hours ago, heisenburger said:

Brute force a samadhi state, and then you won't be able to come back.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I haven't gone deep enough with psychedelics to say they would be perfect for this, but from what I've heard, a breakthrough into unconditional love will be perfect.

I can say that simply doing the meditation will motivate eventually, as you get the amazing results.

Also, watching masters, see how free they are.

Also contemplating that state of no fear, only  love, especially on weed, when I think about this when I high I get so fucking excited. NO FEAR!! NEVER!  NOT ABOUT A THING. BEING YOURSELF COMPLETELY, HAVING SOOO MUCH FUN, SO MUCH LOVE, AND PEACE, FINALLY!!! WOOOO

16 hours ago, heisenburger said:

What should I do if my motivation for enlightenment isn't strong enough to make me do all the practice

@heisenburger  Same as learning to play the piano, discipline yourself or give it up.