caspex

How do I note insights in Obsidian efficiently?

4 posts in this topic

This is addressed to every note maker, not just Obsidian users.
Do I just create a new note for each insight and group them in folders? Or do I write many small insights into a single note while dedicating entire notes to big ones? To those of you who frequently store insights in digital form, what's the best way to do so in your experience? What are some problems you have faced and how have you solved them?

Edited by Swarnim

The key to using obsidian effectively is to always make sure that you have at least one link to your note from another note. This way you can always find your note by browsing around similar notes that touches the same topics or themes.

In practice this means that you write your insight into a new note, and then you link to that note from another note. If you don't have another note to link from, you create a new note whose only purpose is to link to notes that share a topic or a theme. So, if you have an insight about some aspect of consciousness you write that in a new note and then you create another not that's called 
"Consciousness - Map of contents". And in this map of contents note you put a link to your insight note. At the top of the Map of contents note you put a link to your "Home" note, which is like the master note that contains links to all your "map of contents"-notes. This "Home" note is your starting point to just browse around. From this note all the other notes in your entire repository is reachable through clicking links.

I learned about these "Map of contents"-notes from a guy on youtube, search for "Linking your thinking"

Good luck! 

Obsidian is such a power tool 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

I currently store all of my insights and contemplations in a folder called Reflections.

It ultimately depends on what you like.

Simple is best. I'm happy with using a simple structure. Overcomplicating your structure can be a trap.

Edited by UnbornTao