Jannes

Productivity tool business idea

5 posts in this topic

There are already a handful of productivity apps and web extensions that can be used to block or limit ones time on unproductive things. They are good but for them to be really practical they need an extra feature which I call time account. Let’s say I set a timer of one hour a day for YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ combined. That’s good but sometimes I want to watch an 2 hour movie which is fine as long as it is occasionally. Or sometimes I don’t feel like using up the whole hour but maybe I feel dragged to use it anyway because I would feel like I would have wasted my precious Youtube time. So the solution the "time account“ should solve this situation. It works like that. On days when you don’t use up the whole time, let’s say you use only 30min instead of 60min this time will be added to your account the next day. So you can save up enough time for whatever you want to watch. I would also add a lot of side features that would polish this idea even more like the ability to add a time saving plan, the ability to limit ones saved time (for example 5 hours) and the ability to make the saved time less valueable (for example 30min saved is only 20min on the time account). The last two features are there for people who can’t find a good balance. Analogous to people who only eat chicken, rice and brokkoli 5 times a week and then eat a bunch of junk at the weekend which is way worse then allowing yourself a bit of junk every day. 
What do you think of the idea? Has someone already made it? How much effort/money do you think would it take to build a blocker with these extra features?

I like the idea call it: Time Wallet

Blockers are the easiest extensions to make, prising could be free if you follow a tutorial and do it yourself. On fiver you could maybe get it done at 150-300$ but don't expect it to be perfect. 

Once you build the basic blocker, add time tracking saved in local storage and add wallet to save unused time for later spending (all simple codding), then display everything in a page with some stats. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 22/01/2023 at 3:27 PM, Jannes said:

There are already a handful of productivity apps and web extensions that can be used to block or limit ones time on unproductive things. They are good but for them to be really practical they need an extra feature which I call time account. Let’s say I set a timer of one hour a day for YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ combined. That’s good but sometimes I want to watch an 2 hour movie which is fine as long as it is occasionally. Or sometimes I don’t feel like using up the whole hour but maybe I feel dragged to use it anyway because I would feel like I would have wasted my precious Youtube time. So the solution the "time account“ should solve this situation. It works like that. On days when you don’t use up the whole time, let’s say you use only 30min instead of 60min this time will be added to your account the next day. So you can save up enough time for whatever you want to watch. I would also add a lot of side features that would polish this idea even more like the ability to add a time saving plan, the ability to limit ones saved time (for example 5 hours) and the ability to make the saved time less valueable (for example 30min saved is only 20min on the time account). The last two features are there for people who can’t find a good balance. Analogous to people who only eat chicken, rice and brokkoli 5 times a week and then eat a bunch of junk at the weekend which is way worse then allowing yourself a bit of junk every day. 
What do you think of the idea? Has someone already made it? How much effort/money do you think would it take to build a blocker with these extra features?

I would use it.

Can you code? Shouldn't take longer than a few weeks for a first version.

Hey maybe it becomes popular and you can monetize it somehow!

First, let's see if you have the follow through.

First time I started building an app, I fell into scope creep and gave up.

But that was a larger project.

So good luck :D

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

6 hours ago, flowboy said:

I would use it.

B|

Can you code?

No. Integral said it wouldn’t be that hard but I easily give up so maybe I should just ask someone on Fiverr to do it for me.

Shouldn't take longer than a few weeks for a first version.

There are so many things I would need to implement to make it great like being able to add other softwares like steam that aren’t in the browser, making the software undeletable, time plans, special passwords, blocking other browser, … the list goes on. But I think just a basic version for chrome is already good enough to get started.

Hey maybe it becomes popular and you can monetize it somehow!

That would be a dream. I would love to be an inventor!

First, let's see if you have the follow through.

Yeah, I have to get into a good mindset for that. 

First time I started building an app, I fell into scope creep and gave up.

But that was a larger project.

So good luck :D

Oh shoot. I think I will define a small goal which I won’t try to under- or overshoot so that this doesn’t happen to me. I can always add more. 

Thanks for your motivation! :x