trenton

Chess fundamentally misunderstands the nature of intelligence

68 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

What makes a life purpose valid to you?

It's obviously subjective in the end. Whatever you find meaningful. I'm just saying most people have a weak notion of meaningfulness by my standards.

If you find it meaningful to spend your whole life streaming videos games, I don't care how much it pays you, I find that pathetic. But most people don't know any better, so...

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

what about sports like soccer and tennis? I have always thought they are a stupid life purpose. 

@LSD-Rumi I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of tennis stars were very miserable. If you read Andre Agassi's biography (tennis star) he gives a sort of psychoanalysis of his life and its pretty neurotic. A lot of parents trying to live vicariously through their kids.

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's obviously subjective in the end. Whatever you find meaningful. I'm just saying most people have a weak notion of meaningfulness by my standards.

If you find it meaningful to spend your whole life streaming videos games, I don't care how much it pays you, I find that pathetic. But most people don't know any better, so...

Where do you draw the line though?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

what about sports like soccer and tennis? I have always thought they are a stupid life purpose. 

How are these sports any more stupid than American football?

Edited by AJBrew

51 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Where do you draw the line though?

Wherever I want :D

37 minutes ago, AJBrew said:

American football

Like many things American, American football is uniquely stupid. It's one of the few sports where the more you play it the stupider it makes you :P

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura isn’t life a game? What defines important? Can’t just deny god like that! These guys are majestic and in some cases have millions of people looking up to them for joy, inspiration, education, entertainment, etc, and are gods examples of what’s possible for human potential, in their own way, if they choose to follow their own passions gifted by god. 

What’s all this ‘important’ work for anyway? So we can eventually, hopefully, reach a point where we don’t have to worry about it anymore and are all free to just play? ??‍♂️

Edited by B222

4 minutes ago, B222 said:

in some cases have millions of people looking up to them for joy, inspiration, education, entertainment, etc

That's what I find most depressing about it.

Mankind has really screwed up priorities.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, AJBrew said:

I think its just autism.

@AJBrew

I actually do have autism and it almost makes me cry when I realize how much of my behavior it explains. Even other people notice that explains a lot of what I do. Other chess instructors have noticed as well. Apparently, it is obvious in how I write these messages that I have autism.

This includes pacing, laughing out loud instead of In my head, listening to the same music while clapping and laughing, and more. The closest I have come to an obsession with chess is studying 70 pages of an encyclopedia in a day and forgetting to eat because I sometimes get so focused that I don't notice I'm hungry.

All of the connections between autism and my behaviors make me feel like I don't have free will. I often made people uncomfortable no matter how hard I tried to be a good person by preventing everything that comes naturally to me.

I've always felt lost in life and throughout my life my mind has been latching onto various narratives in an effort to create meaning. I believe this happens because I lack a sense of belonging and it has been a source of depression since I was a child. Sorry if this seems like a lot, but it seems relevant to this discussion.

@trenton One of my closest friends since childhood is definitely on the spectrum and he is the smartest and sweetest guy I know.

36 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's what I find most depressing about it.

Mankind has really screwed up priorities.

What would you say about people like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan,Lebron James, or Tom Brady? Is there anything to be said about these guys who not only are the top 0.01% of human genetics but also have the work ethic to fulfill that potential? Even though they may have crazy psychological issues, I think theres still lessons to be learned. Even Owen Cook talks about them when they go into "the flow state". I feel like Lebron James is the human that God would create to be the perfect basketball player. 

I agree that american football sucks tho. Basketball and "soccer" are the best. And Track and field

Lebron James' Life purpose was basketball, he literally has "Chosen One" tattooed on his back. Could you imagine him working a normal ass job

lebronspurpose.jpg

Edited by Phil King

6 minutes ago, Phil King said:

What would you say about people like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan,Lebron James, or Tom Brady?

Sorry, I'm just not impressed by that at all.

Having amazing genetics and strong work ethic doesn't mean much if you don't channel them into something meaningful. Throwing a ball around is not meaningful unless you brainwash yourself into believing so.

I don't deny the skill. But skill by itself is nothing to fetishize.

Edited by Leo Gura

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Having amazing genetics and strong work ethic doesn't mean much if you don't channel them into something meaningful. Throwing a ball around is not meaningful unless you brainwash yourself into believing so.

Do aliens have sports? What skills and values do aliens fetishize or find meaningful? 

5 minutes ago, Phil King said:

Do aliens have sports?

Yo-yo's and pogo sticks ;)

Edited by Leo Gura

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't deny the skill. But skill by itself is nothing to fetishize.

"Only my life purpose is valid" ?

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

"Only my life purpose is valid" ?

Many great LPs besides mine.

The only true life purpose is to wake up.

Everything else is something you do in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Many great LPs besides mine.

@Leo Gura Can you give us some examples? Which people inspire you the most with their work?

6 minutes ago, ivayloivanov0926 said:

@Leo Gura Can you give us some examples? Which people inspire you the most with their work?

It would be an endless list.

Elon Musk is a political asshat, but his purpose about space exploration is powerful.

James Cameron

Edited by Leo Gura

Personally I think Rupert & Francis have the best answers / talks regarding purpose in relation to the teaching. 

Essentially, they say you can be & do anything that comes from a place of Joy, Love, Happiness. 

So, you aren't limited to just being a teacher say, but can bring the teaching itself into whatever your body / mind loves & is passionate about, as it will naturally flow through that. 

To me, this makes the most sense, as naturally as a result of the true teaching, harmful things will be off the table, and you are left with things that automatically help create a better society / world naturally. 

This could mean being a Gardener, Athlete, Musician, Artist, Engineer literally anything you're predisposed to and naturally as a result the teaching comes through you & into your work. 

These videos from Rupert helped me a lot on this topic-

Of course, first and foremost the 'inner purpose' is awakening to your true nature & happiness.

From there, its living from love. So, I wouldn't limit oneself to being 'useful' but doing whatever you love- that's the fun of life. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi