Magnanimous

Inspiration and what I want to do with my life

6 posts in this topic

I've been inspired to become a writer after reading JK Rowling's books, but idk if this is the right decision.

How to know if I should follow this inspiration? Or what inspirations (like this one where I'm inspired to do something after witnessing someone doing something cool with it) in general?

@Magnanimous  give it try, become absolutley involved in what you are doing and see. how it unfolds Do not be too much afraid of making the "wrong " decision.  Perfectionism often kills ease and creativity, passion in general.

Writing? Take the advantage that English is you mother language. I know how to write English but is not my main language so my learning curve is bigger. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

How to know if I should follow this inspiration?

You go for it and see what happens.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

I wouldn't lean only on inspiration because it generally doesn't last for very long. As any other feeling, it comes and goes. It's useful as a compass.

It needs to be something you like, and that's for you to figure out and decide. Once you're clear, intent to master it. Pursuing mastery isn't a fantasy, will kick your ass, and it's the way to be happy with whatever you pursue.

It boils down to creating your life around what you want. Make sure that it is what you want. If you want to be a writer, then that'd be the way to go! 

Edited by UnbornTao

What's the worst aspects of being a writer and are those things you can deal with?

Looking it up, writing as a career has several large cons:

• Low job security
  • Hermit lifestyle
  • weight gain
  • Economic uncertainty
  • Creative block

If you can contend with cons like these, then writing might work out for you, especially if certain cons are pros to you. For example, if you actually enjoy being alone a lot and don't plan on having a family, then writing can be alright in that way. 

I like Mark Manson's concept of "shit sandwhich" when it comes to career choice. Basically what cons are your pros, things that most people don't like that you enjoy. That is a "talent" that makes you competitively viable in the market place and helps you figure out your temparement relative to career choice.