GabeN

A Year on Modafinil: Pros and Cons

9 posts in this topic

So ever since I heard about this drug and saw Leo's video on nootropics about it I thought to myself "This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for", and I think i was right, here's how it went:

After finally getting my hands on it I was super excited because my current job I work requires me to be focused and awake for long periods of time and I don't like drinking more than a cup or two of caffeine to avoid those afternoon crashes, Modafinil came as a lifesaver for me without a doubt because my productivity skyrocketed and I barely saw any side effects from it, so here are some of the Pros and what I think Cons for this awesome nootropic:

(these are based on mostly 100mg but on days that I didn't sleep that well (4 to 6 hours) I would take 200mg, even 300mg in emergency situations was a lifesaver)

Pros:

1-It gave me that feeling you get when you had a really good night's sleep without being under the influence of caffeine or any stimulant.

2- The feeling of being awake made it much easier for me to focus on my tasks for longer periods, it felt good to focus.

3-It generally made me feel happy and energetic but focused and relaxed too, I always wanted that zen mode of being able to focus without feeling overstimulated.

4- I had really smooth come-ups and come-downs.

5- My memory was doing much better than before meaning it didn't take much effort to remember things that mattered most.

6-I could take it on a daily basis without feeling any noticeable side effects.

7-It goes pretty well with caffeine for me (keep in mind I don't drink much caffeine and I also delay it after 1 or 2 hours of waking up).

8-Long duration, 100mg was enough for me to stay awake and focused for 8 to 10 hours and more.

9-I could work out on it in the morning after taking it though I try not to overtrain.

Cons:

1-I realized that I tend to rely on it sometimes to not sleep an extra hour or two that I rather need for my body to recover because I know that modafinil will make it easier to stay awake on less slept hours.

2-In some cases of stressful situations, I did find that it was a bit harder to calm down my anxiety but a bit of breathing well did the trick for me.

3- There aren't many studies that I'm aware of that track the long-term use of it (please share if you do know any).

4- Higher doses did feel like a slight comedown sometimes.

These are the Pros and Cons I can think of right now but I can sum it up by saying Modafinil was a true gamechanger for me however i don't know if i will be taking it long term for now, it will probably depend on some different factors like me having focus and wakefulness for good sleep, nutrition and exercise etc, if i can get what i need from these i think i will probably stop using modafinil 4 to 5 times a week and leave it for some special days when i need more focus and energy for now.

hope this helps guys and do share your experience if you have any,

cheers.

Edited by GabeN

How often did you take it and did you develop any tolerance?

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I've been on and off Moda for about 2 years now. Overal a net positive for me, same pros as OP. 

The only thing is I have a hard time falling asleep at night, even when I took the Moda 16 hours earlier. 

Also developed tolerance for sure. I used to be maxed out with 1/4 pill now I can comfortably take a full pill and get the same effect. 

@Leo Gura how have your experiences been lately, did you develop any tolerance? 

Edited by Butters

@Leo Gura

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How often did you take it and did you develop any tolerance?

Thanks for sharing.

I took it 5 days a week and took breaks usually on weekends (for me it's Fridays and Saturdays), I also didn't use it on days when i was off work/vacation as i didn't feel the need to.

I did notice there was tolerance going on when I had a period of about a month or two that i took 200mg almost daily, during that time taking 100mg felt like the modafinil wasn't working as well, but then I got used to 100mg again and it's more than i need, it's probably because i got my sleep going better.  i still keep the 200 mg for days i have less sleep the night before, but in short I personally didn't see a tolerance problem unless you take higher doses and then get back to lower ones.

29 minutes ago, Butters said:

how have your experiences been lately, did you develop any tolerance?

I don't use it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I could work 16 hours with small little breaks for eating. 

It is too good but I feel Impotent on the day I take it

And I feel the body waits for a time the next days to rest more

Edited by OBEler

@GabeN

Thanks for sharing!

Taking modafinil for some time now (3 times / week), I experience generally 2 Cons:

1. Being much more thirsty and drinking a lot more water.

2. Waking up tired the next day.

Besides that it works great.

How does he compares to wellbutrin or adderall ? 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@GabeN Do you use the original/prescribed version or some of the off-label versions from India? I can be very productive on Moda/Armoda but I notice downsides very fast, like headaches, feeling less social/more robotic/increased social anxiety and feeling down the next day I wonder if its because of possible difference in quality.