Lyubov

Is it time to start thinking about regulating AI?

9 posts in this topic

I am seeing these new AI apps that can alter photos, sound, text, etc. 

It’s starting to get to the point where I wonder just how advanced it will be in 5-10 years from now. 

I’m wondering what some of the broader implications are and if you all agree we may need some regulation soon. 

For example, AI could be used to tamper with and forge evidence that could interfere with trials. It could also be so good that soon there may be digital apps that replace actually people for texting. I could also see it killing 80% of all white collar jobs.

Maybe at one point that one academic’s complaints about AI being dangerous seemed silly but now I actually agree, this stuff could quickly get out of hand and cause some serious problems. 

Thoughts?

Recently we had an interesting court case in Turkey(at least for me). There is a woman who wants to divorce,  she claims that her husband is cheated on her. She goes on and records her husbands phone calls and gives this data as evidence to the court. Court states  these datas are obtained aganist his will therefore turns down the evidence.

Dont Worry, this Guys are ready taking care of it. 

Sorry but JP for me is just a old Grumpy man blabing about the very stuff that will turn him obsolete. 

I cant even hear he speaking for 1 minute. 

AI absolutely deserves regulation. It's a disruptive technology that will likely change the life of everybody. Regulation is necessary to mitigate abuse and negative consequences. Currently AI has no real ethical mandates.

My main concerns with AI is large scale job disruption. What happens when a sizable portion of the population is suddenly out of a job due to automization? At one point in the future, the job market might become increasingly temperomental. We as a culture will have to contend with that. For example, it might become increasingly normal to have multiple complete career shifts thoughout a lifetime, simply because human demand dies out due to automization. The demand for human labor in general might decrease in the future, which might be a good thing in a post-scarcity kinda way, where we in general don't "have to" work as much and there's more security around our material needs. But if such a development happens to fast without  any forms of social nets, it could lead to chaos. Like, what happens if we fire 80% of all garbage collectors overnight because we have drones that can do most of the menial labor? Just take that example and scale it up to a scale where it concerns society as a whole to a more pressing degree.

I am not sure how grounded that concern is in reality, to what degree, but I think it's important to be considerate of how AI will affect society as a principle.

My other concern is within the creative industries, where through AI learning we can theoretically automize art and entertainment. We need greater scrutiny around the legality of using copyrighted work for AI learning.

There's also the ethical question of if it's right to "supplant" the arts via AI, where humans are not only outcompeted by AI commercially, but also what it does to our appreciation of art. Lets say, in a future version of Unity you can make any game via AI by just typing inputs (no coding required). Anyone can make their dream game, but no one will play it because the market is completely flooded by projects made on a whim. 

I hope that we as a culture can resist the urge to resurrect dead people via AI, atleast when it comes to commercial products and politics. I can see it having sentimental value to "speak" to your dead relatives in a private setting, but outside of that... It just seems disrespectful to me to puppeteer dead people for a movie for example. Also, just artistically. There should be a generation shift when celebrities pass away. Future movies and projcets shouldn't rely on long dead actors, hogging the roles for then living actors.

A good book that talks about future challenges for society, AI among others is Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harris. Highly recommend it if you care about these topics.

We still haven't started regulating social media, nevermind AI.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 18/01/2023 at 2:41 PM, Lyubov said:

I could also see it killing 80% of all white collar jobs.

@Lyubov

No matter what it is, if it’s the cotton mill, printing press, to artificial intelligence, you will always have luddites lol. 

Yes AI should be regulated that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. Unless you’re taking it all the way back, full Luddite Unabomber style, then stop.

It is already regulated and not open, 

microsoft is owning it basically and it‘s biased towards left:

great video about it:

If Hoffman is really talking with AI, even if the answers are human data driven is still amazing to have a talk with Internet instead of searchin for info in a search box.