mmKay

Toxicity in YOUR lifestyle Giga-Thread

80 posts in this topic

On 18/01/2023 at 11:32 AM, Leo Gura said:

Marry a Christmas tree ;)

A golden one. 

I dont wanna plug to hard but my entire Youtube Channel/IG/Podcast has a heavy focus on Modern Health thus detoxification is a major part. Might be valueable for the one or the other to check it out (link in the signature)

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@Lyubov

On 19/01/2023 at 0:15 AM, Lyubov said:

I’m going to do some research on this stuff. Some of it seems kinda inconclusive.

I did a heavy metals urine test in 2021, did it all properly, and my results came back showing I didn’t have any in me. 

Found it odd since I do eat canned seafood a couple times a month. 

I’d like to improve my energy levels and clarity of mind. 

You need a blood test 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

How much sun is too much? How little sun is too little? Can a Vitamin D supplement completely replace the need for sun? What about tanning beds?

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

On 22/01/2023 at 11:20 AM, mmKay said:

Damm i own a small camper van and I had planned to install a small gas stove inside. Didn't think about this one. How do you think i could minimize the harm?

keep your windows open when you cook. That's what I do in our house. And keep the vent on too if you got one. Otherwise there is only so much you can do. I try to cook in my pressure cooker most of the time, saving both gas bills and hydrocarbon inhalation.

On 22/01/2023 at 11:20 AM, mmKay said:

Maybe different fuels are less harmful? Propane, LPG, alcohol. 

no idea 

I think this is one of those again where benefits (being able to cook your food and make healthier choices) outweigh the potential cost of inhaling that stuff. Considering human ancestors would cook on fire or around fire, I think, genetically we have become good at detoxifying carbon particles which is maybe why most smokers do not develop lung cancer or why it takes so long.....but that's just my speculation. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

English breakfast? More like boiled plastic. 

On 19/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, integral said:

parchment paper?

I think its fine as long as you don't re-use it. I may be absolutely wrong though. 

Do people really still use aluminum kettles? ??‍♂️

IMG_20230206_214036.jpg

I may be stoopid. I just drove 40 min with the car air heater on wondering why do I feel lightheaded. You're literally breathing in exhaust fumes.

Had you thought of this one? 

Can i even build in a carbon filter into the heater system? I don't see why not. 25€ should do it. 

IMG_20230207_114449.jpg

Edit. I'm stoopid again. Puting coal into the engine, what was I thinking? 

"Activated carbon itself is not flammable, and it does not readily support combustion. However, activated carbon can adsorb flammable gases or liquids, and in some cases, this can create a fire hazard. For example, if activated carbon is used as a filter in a system that handles flammable gases, a leak could result in a build-up of flammable gas in the filter bed, potentially creating an explosion hazard. To mitigate this risk, it's important to follow appropriate safety guidelines and to monitor systems that use activated carbon for flammability hazards."

There must be some way. 

Edit 2 :

Pretty insightful

Edited by mmKay

@mmKay oh ya, the air in the car can be pretty messed up especially if you drive an older car. Also, mould formation in the car is an issue especially with non-leather seats. 

I have 3 dehumidifying packs always in the car (and then dry them on my heater in a room where nobody hangs out) 

regarding the air, sometimes you need to service your AC unit and have the whole fan cleaned and replaced if needed. 

Most cars have the button to prevent crap from cars in front of you getting in and it triggers internal circulation (which in case of an old car can be even worse :D) 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

10 hours ago, mmKay said:

Do people really still use aluminum kettles? ??‍♂️

IMG_20230206_214036.jpg

Yep. Are they toxic?

What about canned legumes like beans? I mean the "fast food" ones with tomate sauce and all that.

They may contain some harmful compounds, I've read somewhere.

Edited by UnbornTao

@UnbornTao  I mean I imagine the kettle can leach aluminum into your water, and even worse if you boil it ... I'm no scientist but I wouldn't take the risk. 

I eat canned legumes every other day. If you want the full list of things to consider:

Choose organic if your budget allows for it. Ive had both for a decade and im still alive, who knows the real difference. 

Who knows the quality of the water they are cooked with and kept in. You would be better off rinsing them off with reverse osmosis water. I eat them with the liquid and im alive for now idk what the compound consequences may be. Even the label advises to rinse them off. 

Choose as little ingredients as possible. Water, salt and legumes ideally. The most common preservative is EDTA, which is a heavy metal chelator that is advised not to take, but aparently Andy Cutler said that small amounts found in food in this manner are okay. It's used so that they don't turn grey and funky looking on the top. 

Choose glass jars over tin for obvious reasons, specially if with tomato sauce ( the acidic liquid may react with the can and leach nasty stuff. 

You may get a pressure cooker and do your own baches higher quality and cheaper, at the cost of convenience. 

Also you you may have trouble digesting lectins, but that depends on your gut health and maybe genetics. Only you know how they make you feel. 

Edited by mmKay

On 2/8/2023 at 4:31 PM, mmKay said:

@UnbornTao  I mean I imagine the kettle can leach aluminum into your water, and even worse if you boil it ... I'm no scientist but I wouldn't take the risk. 

I eat canned legumes every other day. If you want the full list of things to consider:

Choose organic if your budget allows for it. Ive had both for a decade and im still alive, who knows the real difference. 

Who knows the quality of the water they are cooked with and kept in. You would be better off rinsing them off with reverse osmosis water. I eat them with the liquid and im alive for now idk what the compound consequences may be. Even the label advises to rinse them off. 

Choose as little ingredients as possible. Water, salt and legumes ideally. The most common conservative is EDTA, which is a heavy metal chelator that is advised not to take, but aparently Andy Cutler said that small amounts found in food in this manner are okay. It's used so that they don't turn grey and funky looking on the top. 

Choose glass jars over tin for obvious reasons, specially if with tomato sauce ( the acidic liquid may react with the can and leach nasty stuff. 

You may get a pressure cooker and do your own baches higher quality and cheaper, at the cost of convenience. 

Also you you may have trouble digesting lectins, but that depends on your gut health and maybe genetics. Only you know how they make you feel. 

Noted, appreciate it.

Hey @Leo Gura, are aluminum in deodorants safe? The science says yes, but i have become abit sceptic about all these studies. 

Edited by JTL

15 minutes ago, mmKay said:

High level leaching of heavy metals from colorful ceramic foodwares: a potential risk to human

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not super clear on how to exactly interpret results of experimental trials like these Their methodology description does not seem the same as you would use it in real life. Is having a 90 degrees liquid in there for 15 minutes the same as putting 4% acetic acid for 24 hours? 

"Leaching tests were done following ASTM C738-94 (2006) using 4% acetic acid as the test simulant. Accurately measured 250 mL of 4% acetic acid solution was poured into each of the ceramic foodwares and covered with aluminum foil. Samples were left undisturbed for 24 h at room temperature"

Obviously if you pour acids on stuff, things well start getting corroded . Good to know this is being looked into but curious is this is a like for like comparable situation with real life. That being said, if glass is safer then I see no issue in that transition. 

Edited by Michael569

On 13/3/2023 at 0:21 PM, Michael569 said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not super clear on how to exactly interpret results of experimental trials like these Their methodology description does not seem the same as you would use it in real life. Is having a 90 degrees liquid in there for 15 minutes the same as putting 4% acetic acid for 24 hours? 

"Leaching tests were done following ASTM C738-94 (2006) using 4% acetic acid as the test simulant. Accurately measured 250 mL of 4% acetic acid solution was poured into each of the ceramic foodwares and covered with aluminum foil. Samples were left undisturbed for 24 h at room temperature"

Obviously if you pour acids on stuff, things well start getting corroded . Good to know this is being looked into but curious is this is a like for like comparable situation with real life. That being said, if glass is safer then I see no issue in that transition. 

Idk either but if I do know ceramic can develop micro-cracks over time and you don't want to be eating that. 

I invested 100€ in an instant pot and it's the only thing i will use for the end of my life

I don't think I can live without rice tho

On 4/6/2023 at 11:07 AM, mmKay said:

I don't think I can live without rice tho

Quinoa? 

lol wild rice is as expensive as gold, they sell it in 200g packages because 500/1kg is unaffordable for pretty much everyone.

Edited by MarkKol