halfknots

The Youtuber Started A Death Cult

130 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Ulax said:

@spiritual memes I agree with you on 'I'm more awakened than you' rhetoric. I don't really like it either, and find it frustrating and irritating/ cringe.

Regarding the tone, I actually quite like the tone. I think when done well its raw, gritty, provocative and cuts through to listeners.

Also, this type of tone reminds me of a lot of RSD instructors, and I think its very effective at resonating with people who feel disenfranchised. I think lighter, more friendly communications style don't really get through as well to those sorts of folks imo.

I think Leo's tone is good for self help but not for advanced spiritual topics. Note that Leo's self help videos were generally very popular.

@Ulax Yeah, I generally watch whatever criticism videos come up. It was a good one. Very interesting. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Dude made a video 'exposing' pyrocynical of being a pedo with very little evidence and when pyrocynical made a response debunking him, he doubled down to try to smear him but he got ratioed.

@spiritual memes Makes sense to me.

I think Leo could take a more compassionate, less snarky approach.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

34 minutes ago, spiritual memes said:

There is a serious problem with Leo's teaching style and demeanour that puts off normal people and even drives away spiritual individuals who want to learn.

I do that deliberately to weed out normies.

I teach hardcore things so I adopt a somewhat hardcore tone. I am not trying to be pleasant to the ego.

I am a radical. That's part of my brand. I am not going to hide that under some sweet mainstream facade. I have no interest in being Eckhart Tolle. I am a polarizing person so people will love me or hate me.

With that said, I have softened up over the years.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, spiritual memes said:

I think Leo's tone is good for self help but not for advanced spiritual topics. Note that Leo's self help videos were generally very popular.

@spiritual memes lmao we have two convos occurring simultaneously.

I contemplated the same thought actually. I think you're right. maybe change the style for the advanced spiritual stuff.

But i dont know Leo's strategy.

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Also, ngl i got anxious af when this yt dude started showing all the forum posts ?

Thought some people, including myself, were about to get put on blast for some edgy jokes lmao

Be-Do-Have

@Leo Gura I think you should start collaborating with mental health professionals to deal with the alarmingly high rates of suicide on this forum.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise ? What rate? 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

2 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura I think you should start collaborating with mental health professionals to deal with the alarmingly high rates of suicide on this forum.

@How to be wise How would you like to see that done?

Be-Do-Have

35 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

There is no high rate of suicide on the forum.

The rate is as it is across society at large.

And no, I will not be bending over backwards to save mentally ill people. That's not my work. I teach advanced philosophy. I am not interested in suicide. If you need help with that, find a therapist. I am not your therapist. My only advice to you on this matter is: don't harm your physical body. If you don't want to follow my advice, then do it your way, but then I am not responsible for your results.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There is no high rate of suicide on the forum.

The rate is as it is across society at large.

And no, I will not be bending over backwards to save mentally ill people. That's not my work. I teach advanced philosophy. I am not interested in suicide. If you need help with that, find a therapist. I am not your therapist. My only advice to you on this matter is: don't harm your physical body. If you don't want to follow my advice, then do it your way, but then I am not responsible for your results.

The ignorant have always attacked the wise. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Not a large but a small. Don't exaggerate.

Yes, those kind of people get drawn to psychology and spirituality because they are suffering, so normal and expected.

Of course. And that's what I've always done by elaborating every trap of this work. I do that in almost every video. Most teachers don't talk about traps as much as I do.

Fair enough. it’s not known but by my estimate it isn’t just one or two.

This is where I disagree with you and I think you’ve made a number of mistakes. I believe your work’s dangers aren’t always apparent, even with a warning label and I think elaborating isn’t necessarily sufficient and much more of a token gesture and lip service even if that isn’t your intent. I presume you believe elaborating is sufficient to solve this problem, but it is not.

I haven’t watched the YouTube video in the OP. I just saw this thread turning into a critique of your work and used it to share my thoughts. 

Watched the whole thing.

It was a nice gossip.

He brought some good points.

This pursuit is not for dummies and the mentally ungrounded.

In my opinion, most spiritual teachings are way worse in not clearly pointing common traps and waking people out of their non-sense.

Leo does a good job where most teachers fail miserably.

BUT, Leo's teachings does rely heavily on strong psychedelics so it is a slipperly slope no matter how many "warnings" you do.

Leo seem to have a high tolerance for insane experiences so he doesn't need to do the grounding work that most seekers need.

Example: body work, working out, physical yoga like hatha, bioenergetics etc, all those are a MUST for most seekers and Leo bearly talk about it and sometimes even downplays it becouse you could use this time to do some "stronger practices" like Kryia Yoga.

These basic needs are a huge blindspot in Leo's work.

But, to be fair, as i said, his teachings are also more "complete" than most teachers.

@Leo Gura Do you have any feeling about such stuff when it turns up?

I am sure you don't really care, and are really used to such kinds of critiques but I mean it in a more existential way.
Like do you ever get sad that there are people who try to picture your life purpose as devilry? 
That people just are that way?

Or that part of the shadow is totally mastered for you and you never get your vibration lowered by such things?

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

what...

That dude wins Leo's top stalker's award.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

It's very amusing but sad at the same time to watch this video. It's super interesting to see how another perspective can warp such a different picture because of bias. 

His teachings did more harm than good. Wow.. just wow. It's amazing how humans can be so wrong

Categorize people's mental state by naming them after colours XDD I'm definitely guilty of that

Edited by max duewel

I just want to see a balanced critique… it’s gross to me when someone purposely creates a piece of content to shit in someone because they know that’s what gets them views. 

◭"89"