Someone here

Anyone else feels depressed during winter ?

18 posts in this topic

The sun sets here at 4 PM. The night is dark and the day is also dark .rarely do I see the sun shining because of the clouds . Maybe its because of lack of Vitamin D that gets produced by the skin when it gets exposed to the sunlight. 

Anyone else feels depressed or at least melancholic during winter?  I mean I also like the cloudy sky and the rains ..its dope ...but also the cold temperature makes showers a pain In the ass (I only take cold baths whether it's summer or winter because I read somewhere that it's good for testosterone).  But I also miss the sun .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 minutes ago, ParkerGroove said:

Well, I feel slightly depressed during the whole year

May I ask why ? 

3 minutes ago, ParkerGroove said:

but winter is the worst season. The sky is often gray, it's cold, the sun sets really fast

Yeah ..I used to like winter when I was a child because of the rain and the snow ...but as I grew older I started hating it . And the Sewage here sucks .so the streets are always filled with dirt and water which makes talking a walk very difficult. 

5 minutes ago, ParkerGroove said:

And the only thing which helps me to wake up is the fact that summer is in 4.5 months!

Lol 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Gotta make the most of the daylight you have to hang out outside and supplement some vitamin D until you can get natural exposure. Vitamin D can indeed be part of that, I wrote a blog about this topic last year. It seems to be part of the answer but probably not the whole answer. 

I've now switched form out door to indoor gym to keep my sanity in check :D

I found getting out early in the day regardless of whether it is sunny or not positively affects my mood & sleep. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 1/17/2023 at 2:37 PM, Michael569 said:

I found getting out early in the day regardless of whether it is sunny or not positively affects my mood & sleep.

I've experienced the same. I love winter and cold though. However, where I live cold means 14ºC or so. :D 

Edited by UnbornTao

Cool B|

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Nope, I love winter.

I wake up a sunset and go to sleep at sunrise and don't even see the sun. It's great. The less people I see the better. More peace and contemplation for me.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Nope, I love winter.

Says the Las Vegas/California native :D. You wouldn't last two weeks where I grew up!

hrhrhtewgfegege

Winter is good for work and sleep if you sleep in cold. Otherwise, spring and summer are better, much better because you can bike! I love bikes. So early spring is 10/10 IMO, and winter is -1000/10, because you can't bike.

I feel you man. Maybe we dislike winter for different reasons, but yours are for sure also valid.

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Says the Las Vegas/California native :D. You wouldn't last two weeks where I grew up!

That's why you move ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I used to feel depressed in the winter, now I don't anymore. I only feel cold and get frostbitten.

Looking back now, I don't think it's the winter, but school that was depressing.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I do. It gets really dark where I live too, so I try to go for a walk when it's not too dark. Taking Vitamin D supplements might also help.

Yes, November is the worst for me.

From September to December I tend to wake up every day with anxiety and doom feelings.

The entire day my body is so restless and anxious that I just don't feel okay.

Sometimes I'm so disregulated that I can't think properly.

I take vitamin D and tried light therapy and stuff. Works a bit, but not a lot.

The only things that help, for me, are:

1. Pushing through on stuff (accomplishment)
  2. Gym
  3. Shadow work
  4. St John's Wort supplements if I really need.

And even then it's no picnic.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

winter lasts pretty much 6 months here, nov dec jan feb march april

its pretty rough, dark cold glum

i use it as spiritual practice, if you want good you have to want bad

i can appreciate that the cold is very enlivening to the body and the dark has deep beauty in it, the peace and the solemnity

thus i am not wishing winter away but getting on its wavelength and to this end i dont use any central heat or hot water

Try living in Norway :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Wake up at sunrise, prepare hot coffee, and enjoy the cold with some dark academia in the background.

Counter-intuitively, winters are actually the worst in countries that are far up north for it too be cold but not enough for there to be snow, like Denmark.

Lots of snow transforms the scenery. Everything outside takes on a new face which is refreshing. Snow also absorbs sound, making things more serene feeling. The biggest downside of snow is ice.

Atleast in more southern countries, while you don't get snow, it's not terribly cold either. Which is why the countries that are just cold but without snow have the worst winters.

9 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Try living in Norway :)

Only a Viking can. ¬¬

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

It's common. Some vitamin D, hugs, warm tea and cool movies go a long way. Also adapt to the season yourself. Do more contemplation during winter, get energy accumulated and use it coupled with the plans gathered during warmer seasons.