Rayko

Self-Actualized Music

37 posts in this topic

What music do you listen to inspire you?  How do you incorporate music into your self-actualization process? Any recommendations to share?

One song I find really inspirational is by Eminem its called not afraid.  It pushes me when I am hesitant about doing certain things due to fear of what others will say or fear of succeeding. Other inspirational songs I listen to are by people like ASA (A nigerian french singer) one of my favorite songs by her is 360 degrees. 

André Rieu. The music is inspiring the man is inspiring :D

I also listen Trance.  Sometime to relax and sometime to pump my state :D

Hi Raku

Interesting Question! Can I ask for more specifics, which aspects of self-actualization are you wanting musical inspiration?

I love music to get me inspired when I am working out…and I play the music on my TV (through Chromecast) because the words and the videos help inspire me..For me, this morning routine helps motivate me for the day, so it goes beyond getting me through the workout, it helps with many aspects of self-actualization on a level I am not completely cognizant of, like spontaneous positive visualization later in the day related to the video I watched in the morning… Ill take all the help I can get.

Generally I enjoy these, for various personal reasons;

“not afraid” (like jasmine) Eminem

“remember the name” Fort minor

“work bitch” Brittany Spears

“cant hold us” Macklemore and ryan lewis

“stronger” Kanye west

“closer to the edge” 30 seconds to mars

“I lived” one republic

“lose yourself” Eminem

And Many of the motivational videos by Mateusz M

Any other suggestions would be awesome!

Lauren :)

This is an interesting question because music can give situations more rich context. I like to fit different genres of music to different moods. Sometimes I like to visualize my life vision. In that case I listen to stuff like "Try it Out" by Skrillex. While contemplating death I like to listen to James Newton Howard's Central Park. Sometimes if I want to meditate just to calm down I'll listen to Trip Hop. Music plays such a huge role to re connect me to my source motivations. A lot of people drain me at school so quickly and it causes me to question the strength of my values and insights that are supposed to magically appear and remind me of important concepts. Music used to be the first thing I used to get in touch. However, I find that it can be a trap to rely on music to return to a state. Because if you were not able to listen to music anymore, would you start to change? Its a byproduct of neurosis to rely on something that way. If my gut or instinct is telling me to listen to music I will and if is telling me to pass and think or do something else instead I will do that. But some songs really get your juices flowing sometimes...

Anything by Tool. They are called "The Thinker's man band" for a reason. Lateralus is still considered to be one of the most-mindblowing albums ever released.

Isis. No, not the terrorists. They are no longer together but every release of theirs is pure gold. Panopticon is on a whole 'nother level.

Smallman. A great and largely unknown bulgarian band that perfectly combines the sound of aforementioned band while adding folklore elements to the mix, thus creating sheer beauty.

Oh, and you can never forget good old Pink Floyd.

Edited by Neuroticon

Heeeeey...this is Theo. (Had to do it)

Which music is self-actualized music? It's an interesting question, because I find there are different ways to look at it. 

First of all, you can consider self-actualizing music motivating. Like a kick in a butt. Whenever you hear this type of songs, you automatically start doing the process you had been putting off. I would say certain hip-hop or rock music fits this purpose quite well. The problem with the previous examples, though, is that they can get you going but as you become desensitized to their effect, they lose their ability to do so. You cannot get too far with a "dirty high", so to say. 

For me, to reach the truest self-actualizing levels, the music should be a guide to our innermost self. Whenever I do deep work, I put on some instrumental music depending on the mood. Sometimes a piano or violin playlist will do. Sometimes I listen to jazz or soul. When the work is from a bit lighter topic I find coffee shops with their little background buzz can be a valid music to my pursuit of self-actualization. Lately I have discovered more and more the power of "alpha waves". So what I found, is that you don't even have to define music as narrowly as "something that is performed by a traditional band and played on a popular radio". Let the music be your vehicle, not the one who creates your destiny. Music can be the thing that guides you to your own innermost truth.

To conclude this - sometimes pop music can get you started, but you will find it hard to reach your core with it. Your self-actualization. 

Thanks, Leo, for providing us the opportunity in the form of this forum! 

I love looking at the underlining meaning in music, one of my favorites is Alesso - heroes, she talks about running away from problems, hiding from problems, and when things are good, that's when we come out, and goes on to talk about how everyone does everyday things (unaware of what they are capable of) and not being that person, and for the people that can "hear" what she means that " We are a different kind, we can do anything. We could be heroes" Just my view on this song, I love it. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

Movie scores and instrumental music are great options for anybody since you can make them about whatever you want in your head. 

Hey! this is interesting! Even if music is really subjective I think that there are certain songs or rythms that make you feel like what is within you is as infintie as the universe outside.

I kind of get that feeling when listening to: The mighty Rio Grande - This will destroy you; Pain and gain OST - I'm big; God is an astronaut; Sigur Ros; also, Thomas Newman - plastic bag theme (Amercian Beauty), stuff like that. I think that lyrics can make or break you, so I prefer less lyrics and more imagination, but that's just me :) 

cheers!

AVANTASIA

I already posted in another thread about them. They are amazing! 

Pure elevation! The lyrics, the story...enlightened music!

Flemington by Tom Day.

Puts me in a Peaceful mood, perfect for reading up of self actualizing,

Try it out

Personally, my favorite music has no lyrics/words to it. I love listening to smooth jazz, classical, or anything techno trance as long as it's smooth and doesn't have much of a hardcore beat.
If I'm working out, I definitely like motivational songs with lyrics, but if I'm just driving my car or cleaning the house or walking the dog, I tend to feel more in a meditative state and more at peace when I'm not identifying to actual words and am just objectively listening to the music.

People, you need to hear this. I see self-actualizing like this 

Do you think Mos Def was on to something or did he just think the lyrics sounded cool? :))

I'd like to throw in a new aspect. I used to listen to music three hours a day and I'd definitely call that an addictive behavior. Don't get me wrong: it's all about the amount and I don't want to crucify music in general. But I think that music (as well as TV..) gets you into a consuming state of passivity. It's made mainly (or in most cases) to entertain. Personal development is not meant to entertain or stimulate. That does not mean it cannot be pleasurable!

Listening to music can change your state and is extremely helpful for motivation, jogging, felling good but I'd compare music to drugs: It makes you happy without doing anything for it. I found out for myself that the time listening to music can be spend smarter. But maybe I am the only one who used to escape from reality through music (and therefore from developing)...

What do you guys think? Is it possible to develop personally through music? If yes, to what extent? Do you agree that music can be an obstacle for personal development and/or a waste of time?

Peace Algebro B|