Rasheed

Do I have to read 10 Freud books and 10 Jung books?

29 posts in this topic

Psycho theory is backbone to self help and professional help. If you don’t have psycho theory you will be like a body without a spine. 

Obviously you can help people without having a spine yourself but you won’t make a big impact on your students. 

Obviously you need more than a psycho theory but it the backbone to put everything together. It is basically the BIOS of your mind where the real shit happens. 

The thing is that most people have surface thing issues so surface solutions are enough so they don’t need to fuck around with their BIOS. 

In Tate we trust

@Rasheed If your goal is write a psych book them obviously reading and research will be important. But that alone will not be enough.

You should start by reading most of the books from my book list. That will give you a solid foundation.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Rasheed If you are serious about helping people then you need training in coaching or clinical therapy. That is totally different from reading psych theory.

Ken Wilber doesn't help anyone, he is an academic.

Reading books contributes very little to your own development. You gotta do inner and outer work to get development. Ken Wilber isn't developed because he read a bunch of books but because he spent thousands of hours in meditation, contemplation, and just life experience.

Noted. 

I need to get that IPEC life coaching training sooner than later...

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

IPEC is good. Or it was good 10 years ago. Not sure how it is now.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think a big challenge for the coaching training to pass would be to teach you up-to-date marketing tactics.

The principles of marketing are the same as always, but the execution of them has changed a lot in the past decade. A lot of new marketing channels, tools and also the old channels work in a new way.

16 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Rasheed If your goal is write a psych book them obviously reading and research will be important. But that alone will not be enough.

You should start by reading most of the books from my book list. That will give you a solid foundation.

Thank you. That’s what I am going to do and what I am doing, your book list is very, very powerful.
What else do you mean “alone will not be enough”? 
I did not really explain myself at the top of the thread, my goal is to write a psych theory book, not really therapy even though I am studying that as well…

Like, my mindset is If I read good high quality 100-200 books about psychology, would I not be able to write high quality book myself? Maybe I am wrong, I don’t know…Is that wrong mindset and approach to have?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed You’d have to:

1. Practice writing

2. Get real world experience 

IMO before you can write a great book. Because if you read all these books… what do you really know? Nothing…

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Rasheed You’d have to:

1. Practice writing

2. Get real world experience 

IMO before you can write a great book. Because if you read all these books… what do you really know? Nothing…

? Both points are 100% 

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

The debate about whether reading psych theory or not is a valid debate. 

But, say you thought that it was worthwhile to read more psych, I wouldn't say reading Freud of Jung would be like the best way to do so.  I dunno if you'd get the most value out of those two guys.  

Sure, reading those two may give you a nice historical perspective of psychological thought.  But I wouldn't say it necessarily aligns much with modern psychological thought.  Reading and studying neuroscience, cognitive science, and more modern psychologists would probably be more worthwhile.  Even people like John Vervaeke, Bonnitta Roy, and some of the people they cite could be more useful.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be any benefit to reading Freud and Jung.  I'm saying that you'll probably gain more by reading more modern stuff since we've learned a lot since those two gentlemen.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins