ivankiss

How do I promote/market my new music?

19 posts in this topic

Last night I released my new single, after a long ass break. I have a new style and sound now. Not sure how to find the niche for it and build a fanbase. It would be easier if I kept the sound that I had years ago... I was promoted by a non profit group back then and had a decent audience. Gotta start from scratch now.

Any ideas how I should go about promoting and marketing this? 

Hope you enjoy it!

Sounds like it could be really cool in a video game, maybe you can sell it to a developer

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Hmm... Not sure about this track, but I could do that on the side maybe. Cool idea, thanks!

Although i don’t have a super concrete advise how you can promote that, I just wanted to say: very nice solo on the guitar! It really touched my heart. I like to hear metal a lot, kind of reminded me of parts in it.

Maybe try out first by showing it friends and telling them to tell other people who may be interested. Also if you like to play live music you can go in local bars and ask if you can play there or go to open stages

Btw: i sing as well: https://youtu.be/7TMuvBIVFg4

Edited by Isa

@Isa Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. Played metal my entire life, so yeah, you can definitely hear that. Trying to enter a bit calmer waters now.

Liked your song too. Beautiful vocals. Maybe they could sit just a bit better in the mix. 

All the best on your journey.

I decided to pay for some exposure. Plenty of options to choose from when it comes to promotion. Doing that soon. 

Not aiming on profiting at all just yet. For now I just want to get my stuff out there and build a nice little fanbase. Will see from then on.

Maybe go to shops, coffee shops, hair solons, things like that and give them copies to play. Look for the guys with the long hair, girls with pink eye-liner. Hip solons and stuff they will easily play this stuff for their customers and maybe start talking about it.

Tell them about live shows you will do. Get people involved.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

I’d focus on improving the product rather than marketing right now. The song was better than I expected, but the question you have to ask is why would people listen to this over everything else that already exists and has success. If you can’t give an answer to that question, you can do the perfect marketing campaign in multiple areas, and it won’t make much of a difference. 

Like someone already said, I think this could do well as a soundtrack for something. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

3 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I’d focus on improving the product rather than marketing right now. The song was better than I expected, but the question you have to ask is why would people listen to this over everything else that already exists and has success.

While it's true that you can't sell absolute garbage, there is something to be said about audience capture. People listen to tons of different artists where there is no true "better or worse". If it's bringing something unique and creative to the table, or if it's just something that people generally like which is decently executed, and if you're persistent about it, you'll eventually build an audience.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Damn, that was pretty progressive. Any particular people that inspired you? I would listen to more of that.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Thanks guys. It's a new style/sound that I'm exploring, so it's going to take some time till I find the right audience for it. I'm ok with that.

The music itself will evolve too, over time, naturally. I'm just glad that I found a sound that reflects me at this chapter of my life. It was not easy to transition from what I've been doing in the past. Had a pretty serious artistic crisis lol.

1 hour ago, ivankiss said:

I'm just glad that I found a sound that reflects me at this chapter of my life. It was not easy to transition from what I've been doing in the past.

What did you use to do?

On 1/8/2023 at 4:42 AM, ivankiss said:

Any ideas how I should go about promoting and marketing this? 

Connect with a label that can promote it for you through Twitter or other platforms.

Promote it yourself through some online space, Reddit comes to mind. There are subreddits for everything.

Somehow have it used in some other creative medium, maybe a video game or visual animation, either yours or someone else's. 

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Have you thought about becoming a music streamer? I personally love watching them on Twitch; I’ve discovered many amazing musicians I would have otherwise never discovered. 

Check out some of the channels to get an idea:

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Music?no-reload=true

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

Create your brand on youtube. Make music videos of you playing.

https://www.youtube.com/@StaceyRyanMusic

Like her, she does covers and originals then collaborates with other musicians on YouTube.

High quality camera and audio, if you think your going to be a musician with out showing your face your out of your mind.

Copy this guy as well https://www.youtube.com/@whatisjoedoing/featured

Your not promoting your music your promoting YOU, you are the brand and product. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

4 hours ago, integral said:

You’re not promoting your music you’re promoting YOU, you are the brand and product. 

Nice way to put it! Feels more authentic when you put it that way. 

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

Hey

I have put a lot of thought into music marketing and a career as a Songwriter, it goes really deep. Here's a bit of perspective plus some resources.

1. What do you want? Do you want to have a career as a music artist? if so, do you want to be independent? do you want to be signed to a label? what is your vision?
  2. Clarify what your brand is, by brand I mean YOU, your VALUES, your MISSION, the auditory, visual and written expression of your life  purpose.
  3. Develop your Skill/music/brand into something remarkable. (check out "Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable" by Seth Godin) this song is decent, the guitar is great, it stands out from everything else which is.. decent. you have a big capacity to grow, and so does your Music! :)
  4. Research the market place: The music industry today is a fast moving, dynamic place, research it, research your ideal fan, get really specific, make it authentic and real for you.
  5. Build a following.
    1. Create unique, on brand and authentic content on social media.
    2. Play Live
    3. Release your high quality product on all streaming platforms
  6. This will allow you to amass followers and fans drawn to WHY you do what you do

There is more, this is barebones, but it will give you a idea. The truth of it is that a lot of this depends on how serious you are, how deeply you want it, and how much effort you are willing to expend into creating a future where X is your reality (whatever X is for you )

Resources.

• Burstimo: an amazing resource on the current world of music artistry, how to succeed as a music artist, (independent or dependent)
  • Adam Ivy: decent info on how to build an audience as well as market yourself
  • Chatgpt: use this AI by asking questions such as..
    • https://chat.openai.com/auth/login
      • Explain how to create a successful music career (independent or label)
      • What makes X music remarkable
      • Explain what kind of content a music artist with a vision of X would make
      • Etc...

The truth is that if your music is great and you do not market it/yourself properly, nothing will happen aside from a few friends and family members streaming your music every once in a while.. Unless you get extremely lucky. It sounds like you want more than to let luck decide whether you have a career doing this or not.. I could be wrong but it sounds like there  is more to it for you.

Good luck :)

Be True.

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

Thanks again guys. Lots of cool info. 

I hear you about the brand, and 'selling yourself' and I already have an idea or two about how I want to do things. There is no question in my mind that there is an audience out there who would appreciate what I do. Especially once I develop this style a bit more and things fall into their place firmly. I think for me it's more about just being active and consistent. Improving and evolving as I go.

Starting all that promotion stuff soon. About to start working on a new track too. 

I'm  just happy to be creative again. That's what matters the most. The rest will follow.