Matt23

J Peterson: Sharing Political Views = Revoking Clinical Licence

49 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Ulax said:

@Devin I agree with Leo on this one. I don't think its that crass of a joke, even in light of his position.

The complaint is not that it's offensive, it's about his view on the issue, because he's a licensed psychologist, he's licensed to treat suicidal people , he uses his professional status(license) for business purposes giving psychology advice on YouTube and Twitter, and then he's making suicide jokes on that huge platform.

Edited by Devin

1 hour ago, Devin said:

The complaint is not that it's offensive, it's about his view on the issue, because he's a licensed psychologist, he's licensed to treat suicidal people , he uses his professional status(license) for business purposes giving psychology advice on YouTube and Twitter, and then he's making suicide jokes on that huge platform.

Dude, you are really stretching.

This was NOT psychology advice of any sort.

If JP deserves to be banned for something, ban him for saying that "there is no such thing as climate because climate means EVERYTHING." For that one statement he should be banned from ever doing science.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Dude, you are really stretching.

This was NOT psychology advice of any sort.

If JP deserves to be banned for something, ban him for saying that "there is no such thing as climate because climate means EVERYTHING." For that one statement he should be banned from ever doing science.

Oh I'm not talking about banning him from twitter, no I don't think he should be banned from twitter for his tiny suicide joke. I'm just talking about his psychologist licensing board, they sent him a complaint on it and his reply was "I'm not going to defend myself, do whatever you want". It's about his demeanor toward suicide, being someone that's licensed by them as qualified to treat suicidal people, and teaches psychology using their accreditation, he would have less credibility on youtube without their stamp of approval, they have to be careful on who they give their stamp of approval to, like the organic stamp on produce. It's not just with what he does in his clinical setting either, he's viewed as an expert in his public discourse(his actual profession) because of their stamp of approval.

I don't think his comments related to anything but psychology should be considered by his licensing board.

I'm struggling to understand you guy's views on this, it seems clear cut to me. It's not like they just immediately threatened licensure,I still don't think they have, he's just running around playing victim saying his license is on the line. All they asked he do is attend a social media class for his next required continued education credits, to which he replied with a lawsuit. Never once writing an explanation for his comment(s). (I'm still reading the details as though)

Edited by Devin

On 1/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, Devin said:

social media class

I don't think this is true.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

10 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

I don't think this is true.

This is what I'm referring to, I don't know what you mean.

"then goes on to detail their wish for Peterson to undergo training through either of their two preferred experts in social media behaviour and professionalism."

Edited by Devin

I can make a connetion at what JP is complaining here with the situation Harry and Megan claim they were having by being followed constantly by the media. Dude, you made yourself famous with your work and now that the spotligth is upon you you will complain that the ligth is to strong. 

Sometimes I had put myself in huge ceremonies, 75 people together drinking ayahuasca, and when the noises and distractions started I was like " Shit, what Fuck I am doing here" and I give  my self the most honest answer ," Well Bro, you put yourself there, You knew that would be intense, so now enjoy the trip and try to make the best of it" 

When you put your hands in the wasp nest don't  expect butterflies coming out from there. 

@Florian

On 1/8/2023 at 0:50 PM, Florian said:

The fact that the lives of children that are not actually transgender but just confused get destroyed by letting them have surgery very easily is the one thing that I know he talked about and think deserves attention.

But this is an extremely rare and practically non-existent issue. Little kids are not getting sex-change surgeries. In very rare cases I believe exceptions are made for 16 year olds for certain types for surgeries, but not bottom surgery to my knowledge.

More importantly though, people like Jordan Peterson point to extremely niche issues like this and give people the impression that there is some sort of epidemic of children being forced to undergo these kinds of surgeries when this is something that practically never happens. Even hormones are usually not (or never?) given to kids under 16.

To me this just seems like a red herring though. We know that Jordan Peterson is transphobic based on other statements he has made. I don't believe he is approaching this issue in good faith and is only concerned about the well being of children. He is using this as an excuse to promote his transphobic worldview.