Mondsee

Have You Ever Meditated In Front Of A Mirror?

10 posts in this topic

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided after my daily practice of yoga I would add up 30min of meditation. Its going ok, I guess... hard to tell since I've been doing the "do nothing" technique. Anyways, yesterday I happened to be in a room where there was a mirror, and I happened to be seated in front of it, so that I could see myself (I keep my eyes open).

It was a little weird, for moments I kind of started seeing my reflection as any other object in the room, and not as "me". That was never a permanent state tough, just for some moments.

What do you think about the mirror thing? Do you think it could be helpful for... something? Do you think it'd be better to avoid it? Or do you think this doesn't matter at all?

Happy to hear opinions from more experienced ones out there! :)

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

2 hours ago, Mondsee said:

It was a little weird, for moments I kind of started seeing my reflection as any other object in the room, and not as "me". That was never a permanent state tough, just for some moments.

It’s perfectly beautiful, this experience – because you are not your body, you are not your face. Your body is just like your clothes, it is just your garment. Go on looking; the feeling will become more and more clear and loud. One day you will suddenly see that whatsoever you are seeing in the mirror is not you at all, and that will be a great insight. It is not you! People think that they are seeing themselves in the mirror because they are identified with their bodies.

Something is changing inside: the identification is breaking It is a beautiful sign.... It should not be thought of as a trouble but as a blessing. Yes, when you look in the mirror and you feel this is not you, it is very disorienting. Nothing to be worried about – enjoy it! This is how it should be; this is truth. If you think you are mirrored in the mirror, that is a lie... although an accepted lie and everybody believes in it. You will feel at ease with it, because everybody also thinks that way. Otherwise this is a lie we have agreed upon.

The experience is something beautiful, very significant. Disorienting, I understand, but if once you understand that this is right, the disorientation will disappear and it can become a meditation for you. Make it a meditation: whenever you have time, just look at the mirror and see that it is not you. Now see it consciously; don’t avoid it. In fact, make it a meditation: sit before the mirror for as long as you can, continuously seeing that this is not you. And this can give you a great satori, a great insight, one day. Suddenly you will see that your body has disappeared: there is only consciousness, pure witness.

Make a meditation out of it. It has been used in the past as a meditation.

I can't believe it, this thread. This is synchronicity galore, was just doing that!

I just stood still, fully awake and looked with an open gaze... It's like all colours changed,  I was even expecting my body to spill any second and maybe even experience this Ego death everyone's raving about.

Then I just stopped thinking and started enjoying the view. It's like it brings a different state of consciousness and wakefulness.

Edited by Dodoster

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

I want to stress that the entireroom turned to this transperancy, the colour of space became goldish in colour,  I was expecting to actually trully dissolve into nothingness while fully conscious and looking at my Ego (body) in waking reality.

Now that would have been like the most shocking thing that I can honestly say I have trouble believing is possible. I will definitely try this meditation more intensely next time and report

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

15 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

It’s perfectly beautiful, this experience – because you are not your body, you are not your face. Your body is just like your clothes, it is just your garment. Go on looking; the feeling will become more and more clear and loud. One day you will suddenly see that whatsoever you are seeing in the mirror is not you at all, and that will be a great insight. It is not you! People think that they are seeing themselves in the mirror because they are identified with their bodies.

@Prabhaker This seems quite cool! Have you had that experience? Do you regularly practice this kind of meditation?

6 hours ago, Dodoster said:

will definitely try this meditation more intensely next time and report

@Dodoster Did you try it for the first time? Definitely interested in your future experiences if you decide to practice it again! :)

For me it won't be that easy to do this as regularly since the room where the mirror was so appropriately placed wasn't mine, and I'm not planning on placing one in my room either, but we'll see!

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

10 minutes ago, Mondsee said:

@Prabhaker This seems quite cool! Have you had that experience? Do you regularly practice this kind of meditation?

@Dodoster Did you try it for the first time? Definitely interested in your future experiences if you decide to practice it again! :)

For me it won't be that easy to do this as regularly since the room where the mirror was so appropriately placed wasn't mine, and I'm not planning on placing one in my room either, but we'll see!

My understanding has grown since before so I can say it was the first time, because the effect was so realistic and impossible at the same time, as never before. 

I was standing there on my feet, waiting for me to jump from my body into some other dimension or something, and I was saying to myself : well fuck, i know i been saying a lot that im not the body, but if it actually happens infront of my very "eyes" I would have been speechless as f.

I think i got scared of the lighting change I dont remember much after that except thinking about actualized and how anything was possible to follow, I remembered i need to relax and let whatever happen happen. 

Not much happened after that lol, at least cant remember

Edited by Dodoster

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

21 minutes ago, Mondsee said:

Do you regularly practice this kind of meditation?

During my long spiritual journey, I have played with different kinds of meditation techniques, it was one of them. 

11 hours ago, Dodoster said:

My understanding has grown since before so I can say it was the first time, because the effect was so realistic and impossible at the same time, as never before. 

So was it your first time meditating in front of a mirror, or the first time it felt that way when doing so?

11 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

During my long spiritual journey, I have played with different kinds of meditation techniques, it was one of them. 

It's nice how you say you "played" with different techniques :) Keep enjoying your work and thanks for sharing your experience!

@Mondsee I'm familiar with that, never meditated in front of the mirror but sometimes when I meditate for a long time and reach deep state, when I open my eyes I feel an awkward sensation, like "wow, I'm inside this body, I have a body, I have hands" I feel unconfortable but at the same time I'm amazed by the fact that I even exist and grateful for having a body, weird! Those days I finished and I looked in the mirror, felt like a stranger, almost an alien 

Pretty interesting isnt it? 

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

Awesome.      Mirror's are very unique. Here's an article talking about mirrors and the 4th dimension that references Richard Feynman and Carl Sagan. 

http://howamirrorworks.tumblr.com/

If you stare into your eyes in the mirror and concentrate on the higher everything you, the person you're staring at starts to seem foreign, like, not you. It's weirdly awesome. Not something to mess with though, breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck, breaking a condom is 18.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE