TheSomeBody

do i need therapist certificate?

11 posts in this topic

i decided to open an adhd treatment bussiness with the method that i developed after i had some success with it. i am still working on the method for now. when i tell to people about this bussiness idea they all tell me that i need to be a therapist . i dont really get why they think so, i dont see any kind of ma that will help me, i have a method already that works , i know the way to make it work , i dont deal with any mental illness. i searched for many options but non of them gonna help me to treat people better , especially when i dont agree with psychiatry how adhd works .also legaly i dont need any certificate to use this method  and there is no danger in it.

are people really care if i am a therapist even though it has nothing to do with me or the method or will help me in any way? the only close thing that i have to a therapist is my BA in psycology and philosophy that i gonna get in couple of months , is it good enough for people?

Edited by TheSomeBody

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

2 hours ago, TheSomeBody said:

are people really care if i am a therapist even though it has nothing to do with me or the method or will help me in any way?

It just adds another layer of credibility and shows people you know what you're talking about prior to purchase and trying your method out themselves.  

It could also add layers to your own understanding and services.  So, if someone starts using your method and then has issues arise outside of your domain, you will be more able to help them.  And people like that ;) 

i dont really get why they think so, i dont see any kind of ma that will help me, i have a method already that works , i know the way to make it work

The point isn't YOU knowing it works or not, it's the people scrolling the internet advertisements looking for help with their ADHD. 

Who are they going to trust?  Some guy without a certificate in counselling that says he's got a great method to help, or someone who's an accredited certified counsellor or therapist?  

Try to see it from your customer's eyes.  

legaly i dont need any certificate to use this method  and there is no danger in it.

Ultimately you obviously have to do what makes sense to you for your business.  

If becoming a certified counselor is too much money or time spent, then ya, maybe your best strategy is to start with what you got.  --> Seems reasonable.  You can even get a counsellor degree later on if you see fit (if you gain success, it could help even more.  Or if you're seeing poor results, it, again, could help).  

If you're going to go without the degree for now, maybe try relying on the old fashion way; word of mouth of the people you know and trust already.  == > Marketing is about trust.  ESPECIALLY for things relating to mental illness and people's well-being.  You can't just treat it/them like a machine that people bring into the shop (I'm sure your aware of this).

But ya... you say you're in college.  ==> Try advertising your technique to people you go to school with.  I'm sure many would find it useful, especially in the academic setting.  

Then go from there.

Sometimes thinking about the long-range plan can get in the way of making short-term gains that eventually lead to places you never considered.  

Maybe start with where you are and what you can do right now. 

Bitty steps. 

Ultimately, I'd say getting a counselling certificate would add much to your credibility on the market in ways that not having one would.  Also added layers of insight and skill to your practice.  

Good luck  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

5 hours ago, TheSomeBody said:

also legaly i dont need any certificate to use this method  and there is no danger in it.

@TheSomeBody I don't mean to dissuade you but i think its important to note that as someone aspiring to what you are doing there will be a danger to what you are doing. You are in a position of responsibility with regards to probably some vulnerable clients. The danger, to my mind, would be that you have the potential to mislead such people if you aren't effective at what you do.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

What are some useful counseling certificates or diplomas that can be done fully online ? How does one go about getting training. I’m wanting to start a business as a coach/counselor helping guys who have “incel” problems and are unable to make friends or get a girlfriend. 

@Lyubov The coaching industry is currently self-regulated, so there are no state official diplomas or anything. Try this website: https://coachingfederation.org/

@TheSomeBody If you want to help people with ADHD, the best path is to become a psychiatrist. It'll probably make your more money in the long-term as well. You mention that you disagree with the practice, but maybe you change your mind if you where to to be more exposed to its doctrines. Psyciatry is reputable and it is effective at treating ADHD. Thats for certain.

From a purely utilitarian perspective, if you are going to practice medicine, doing it the "official way" will make you more money and let you help more people over the span of your career than a career in alternative medicine. That's my opinion at least.

20 hours ago, Matt23 said:

It just adds another layer of credibility and shows people you know what you're talking about prior to purchase and trying your method out themselves.  

It could also add layers to your own understanding and services.  So, if someone starts using your method and then has issues arise outside of your domain, you will be more able to help them.  And people like that ;) 

The point isn't YOU knowing it works or not, it's the people scrolling the internet advertisements looking for help with their ADHD. 

Who are they going to trust?  Some guy without a certificate in counselling that says he's got a great method to help, or someone who's an accredited certified counsellor or therapist?  

Try to see it from your customer's eyes.  

Ultimately you obviously have to do what makes sense to you for your business.  

If becoming a certified counselor is too much money or time spent, then ya, maybe your best strategy is to start with what you got.  --> Seems reasonable.  You can even get a counsellor degree later on if you see fit (if you gain success, it could help even more.  Or if you're seeing poor results, it, again, could help).  

If you're going to go without the degree for now, maybe try relying on the old fashion way; word of mouth of the people you know and trust already.  == > Marketing is about trust.  ESPECIALLY for things relating to mental illness and people's well-being.  You can't just treat it/them like a machine that people bring into the shop (I'm sure your aware of this).

But ya... you say you're in college.  ==> Try advertising your technique to people you go to school with.  I'm sure many would find it useful, especially in the academic setting.  

Then go from there.

Sometimes thinking about the long-range plan can get in the way of making short-term gains that eventually lead to places you never considered.  

Maybe start with where you are and what you can do right now. 

Bitty steps. 

Ultimately, I'd say getting a counselling certificate would add much to your credibility on the market in ways that not having one would.  Also added layers of insight and skill to your practice.  

Good luck  

some people that i talked with said that if i have ba in psycology it is good for them, maybe some wont so it is a smart move.
presonally i am not intrested in solving mental health issues.also i dont belive much in those methods too. i think that couching is a better aproach because humans are very adptive and coach make to act .
maybe coaching is more relevant because i belive in it and also people have so much options after my treatment that it might be confusing. for me it was really hard to grasp that i can actually do whatever i want. 
do you think getting coach certificate will help me the same way?

also my biggest problem with the method is leading them to action because it is kinda hard in the begining and they have adhd that makes it harder

17 hours ago, Ulax said:

@TheSomeBody I don't mean to dissuade you but i think its important to note that as someone aspiring to what you are doing there will be a danger to what you are doing. You are in a position of responsibility with regards to probably some vulnerable clients. The danger, to my mind, would be that you have the potential to mislead such people if you aren't effective at what you do.

it is true , it wont get into details because it is complex but there is not danger in the method . tried it on many people and no one had any problem, also the theory supports it.

17 hours ago, Lyubov said:

What are some useful counseling certificates or diplomas that can be done fully online ? How does one go about getting training. I’m wanting to start a business as a coach/counselor helping guys who have “incel” problems and are unable to make friends or get a girlfriend. 

16 hours ago, Basman said:

@Lyubov The coaching industry is currently self-regulated, so there are no state official diplomas or anything. Try this website: https://coachingfederation.org/

@TheSomeBody If you want to help people with ADHD, the best path is to become a psychiatrist. It'll probably make your more money in the long-term as well. You mention that you disagree with the practice, but maybe you change your mind if you where to to be more exposed to its doctrines. Psyciatry is reputable and it is effective at treating ADHD. Thats for certain.

From a purely utilitarian perspective, if you are going to practice medicine, doing it the "official way" will make you more money and let you help more people over the span of your career than a career in alternative medicine. That's my opinion at least.

i dont want to treat people with medicine. the method is drug free and works like medicine or better

Edited by TheSomeBody

@TheSomeBody It depends on what you are doing. Are you coaching? How are you marketing yourself? What’s the scope of your work?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

18 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@TheSomeBody It depends on what you are doing. Are you coaching? How are you marketing yourself? What’s the scope of your work?

i am having a method that works good as medicine (like adderal) . i help people with adhd to concetrate naturally without any substences 

It depends on a lot. I taught a therapeutic art class but couldn’t market it as art therapy or therapeutic art because I’m not a licensed therapist. 
You can legally talk about what has helped you and you can legally go over the research on adhd or the research on what has helped you but you can’t say “do this” or tell people what they should or shouldn’t do. You can just go over the information and let them decide what to do with the info. If you want to do more than that you need a degree.

do you think getting coach certificate will help me the same way?

Ya, also another way to go.  

I dunno.  Maybe.  I mean... I don't have any experience in these fields professionally.  But just from thinking about it a little, it seems like...

• Since ADHD is usually considered in the context of 'mental illness' and therapy, etc., you may get more people searching for "ADHD therapist" than "ADHD Coach" --> Though not necessarily. 
  • The benefit I see from being an ADHD Coach would be --> The term 'Coach' seems to have a more positive, or at least less 'heavy', connotation to it.  So, you may attract people with that, especially younger people who vibe with the whole personal development scene.  

Worth considering for sure I think.

3 hours ago, TheSomeBody said:

also my biggest problem with the method is leading them to action because it is kinda hard in the begining and they have adhd that makes it harder

Well, if your whole business is about helping people with ADHD, then this seems like a crucial problem to solve. It may be the/a core issue to solve.  Since, if you can solve this, then that seems like a huge thing.  It's basically being able to sell your product haha.  You may have beautiful apples, but if you can't get anyone to buy and eat them... you ain't got squat. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins