Followers 0
LastThursday

Link Between Autism and Gender Identity

5 posts in this topic

A very interesting link between autism and gender identity issues:

All stories and explanations are false.

Thanks bro (or sis).

Really interesting.  

I've learned a bit more about autism lately, and personally think I'm somewhere on the spectrum... probably on the more "light" end.   And this totally makes sense; touch times figuring out others' motives, my own desires and "internals", etc.. 

It also makes sense subjectively and how I see people with autism and gender identity issues or variances.  Seems to fit the bill. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 I think many people are on the spectrum either knowingly or unknowingly, because they are high functioning.

I think that's the take home from the video, that autistic spectrum makes it difficult to know even your own desires and internals; gender identity issues is just an offshoot of that.

9 hours ago, LastThursday said:

are high functioning.

or "just" functioning, at a level where they are doing the basics but find it very very difficult. 

Ya... glad to hear more research is being done.  And hopefully it doesn't only lead to more pharmaceutical remedies but also more psychotherapeutic and behavioral therapies as well.  Not saying that I wouldn't take a drug that could help... only that I hope other things besides pharmaceuticals get traction.

Have you read the book from Leo's book list called "The Essential Difference"?  It's really good and introduced me to the domain of autism and made me consider I could be diagnosed on the spectrum.  It's under the relationship section.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Thanks for the book recommendation. Baron-Cohen is the OG of autism research. I've certainly read a lot about autism in my time.

Funnily enough I was just watching this yesterday (at double speed :ph34r:):

Despite the title, it has some interesting commentary on brain differences and some graphs showing the spread of traits between males and females.