Hardkill

I don't feel optimistic about holding onto any job

11 posts in this topic

*I accidentally put this thread on the Society, Politics, Government, Environment, Current Events section. Could someone please delete that thread on that section, while keeping this thread here in this section?

During the summer of last year, I first had a painting job at a University near where I live. I was laid off from it because they said I was too slow even I tried my hardest. 

I worked at a fancy hotel for 4 months, basically as a summer job. The manager and supervisor commended me for all of my hard work and the good job I did for them. They encouraged me to apply for either a permanent part-time position or permanent full-time position. I wanted to get the part-time so I applied for it. 

Unfortunately, they only had two openings for the permanent part-time job and they decided to hire two other guys who were not only coworkers of mine during that summer job, but also had already worked at the hotel much longer than I did overall.

Afterwards, I then was hired to work as both a substitute teacher and an after school recreation teacher at a private school. They first told me how happy there were to hire me because they said that they were really desperate to hire someone for those jobs, really were impressed with my background according to the resume I sent, and appreciated my willingness to take those job offerings right away. A week after I started working at the school, the guy managing the after school recreation activities, then asked me to work more hours for him, which I was more than happy to agree to.

Yet, a couple weeks later, that manager told me that  he couldn't allow me to come back and help him because he said that unfortunately his boss told him that they had to make budget cuts. That of course that they had to let me go. I asked him if I did anything wrong or how well I was doing. He said that I was doing good overall, but that the school right now is wanting to keep those who had a lot more experience in working with children in after school sports. Furthermore, I got to do substitute teaching for only three days and the school never contacted me again for anymore substitute teaching opportunities. I emailed the school principal:

"Sorry to bother you, but I heard just today that my present schedule would be ending tomorrow. I was surprised because only last week Ms. ______ remarked how much the children liked working with me and that she was happy to have me at the school; also, _______, who seemed relieved that he had some assistance, extended my work hours just last week. I realize that I was not clear about whether or not I will be kept per diem basis in any capacity, and was wondering if there were any skills that I could enhance. I really felt happy to be part of the school in a short time. I would greatly appreciate it if you could inform me about future plans." 

His response was:

he said "Hi ______, Unfortunately, I don’t have any feedback for you. _____ would be the person to whom you would want to direct your questions. I’m not involved in the oversight or running of the aftercare program. As far as subbing is concerned, we bring in a variety of subs throughout the year, and based on their strengths and the feedback the office receives from teachers, we may use certain subs more than others. Unfortunately, I have no specific feedback to give you on that front either.  My apologies."

It's been well over a year since then, and I basically have never heard back from the school ever again.

Then, I decided to look for a job in early December 2021 at a PT clinic because I want to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy one day and I needed observational hours for interning at a PT clinic in order to apply to any DPT school. I finally found a place who was desperate to hire me as a PT aide. So, I of course took the job offer. I worked there for about week before they let me go. I got laid off from there because they said that even though I was doing good they said that I was too slow. My manager said to me that she was sorry and how it was her own fault because she now realizes that she made a mistake by being desperate enough to hire me during the holiday season when it gets really busy, which doesn't leave them much time to teach me everything I need to learn to be fully ready to work with patients. She said therefore, that her and the owners of the business agreed to pause my employment for a while and that they will call me back when their clinic get much less busier and have a lot more time to train me more properly. 

It's been well over a year since then, and I of course have never heard back from them. I even tried a few times to contact the hiring manager back a few times earlier this year but she never responded back.

This is why throughout this entire year, I've felt so discouraged from ever getting another job again. I don't feel optimistic about ever being able to maintain a job. I feel too demoralized.

@Hardkill

this year I have been to 4 to 5 jobs one job the boss didn't like me he was looking for mistakes so he can fire me by asking me irrelevant questions that he doesn't ask my coworkers he told me to take a rest after only less than a week and never contacted me again.

Another job told me I don't work hard enough even though I did all the tasks required.

The other 2 jobs were extremely physically exhausting.

From all of this and reading your post, I think the problem might be unconscious or god sending a message to seek a different path Idk I am not sure. there is a dead-end loop here you need a cash flow to do your independent work but you're not succeeding in the wage slavery environment.

Edited by omar30

One rejection at one school says nothing of what is to come next. Keep trying.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

So, how does one stay hopeful that one day I'll get a job that I'll be able to keep for life?

@Hardkill You keep trying. 

I had to send out 30+ resumes to get an interview the first month after graduation. Then, I got laid off. Another month of grinding and using staffing firms while eating once a day at a food bank until my employment insurance came in. I studied and practiced all the interview prep, etc

I mostly got rejections the first time directly after grad. The second time I mostly got rejections and I even rejected 3 or 4 interviews because of the commute. 

In the end I got great new job, with higher pay, better benefits, and they hired me because they want me to grow. 

You just keep going, going, going, going. You knock on every door. You show up. 

Each “no” means nothing about your ability to succeed. 

Now, I’m doing the same thing with marketing my Qigong course. I’m swimming in a sea of no. But I’m not quitting. 

Don’t have what you want? Simply be fucking relentless. What you desire, a job… or career in your field is very tangible and acquirable.  

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@KH2 I graduated at 26. I was in and out of school in my 20’s. I was busy making art, reading, working, figuring out who I was, starting businesses, etc…. I had worked as a bookkeeper for 6 months before I went back to study accounting. This was a strong piece on my resume.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

19 hours ago, Hardkill said:

So, how does one stay hopeful that one day I'll get a job that I'll be able to keep for life?

The thing you should hope for is getting a job that is rewarding, and if not that at least you get good pay and some other kind of perks. Working for the right people that won't shamelessly exploit you makes all the difference. Having something close to home, or that doesn't drain you of too much energy either, is something to be on the lookout for.

Forget being able to "keep a job for life". That's a fantasy in todays world. Things are changing at a faster pace than ever. You wouldn't want to waste away in a factory for 40 years anyways. Doing something different every handful of years is good. It challenges you, forces you to adapt, and get new skills.

If you don't mind answering, how old are you?

hrhrhtewgfegege

5 hours ago, Roy said:

The thing you should hope for is getting a job that is rewarding, and if not that at least you get good pay and some other kind of perks. Working for the right people that won't shamelessly exploit you makes all the difference. Having something close to home, or that doesn't drain you of too much energy either, is something to be on the lookout for.

Forget being able to "keep a job for life". That's a fantasy in todays world. Things are changing at a faster pace than ever. You wouldn't want to waste away in a factory for 40 years anyways. Doing something different every handful of years is good. It challenges you, forces you to adapt, and get new skills.

If you don't mind answering, how old are you?

I am going to be 35 years old tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Hardkill said:

I am going to be 35 years old tomorrow.

Happy Birthday.

Once you get into a job that sticks, it will probably really stick, you only need one. Early on is when they're just really critical, after that they'll favor keeping you.

Edited by Devin

13 hours ago, Devin said:

Happy Birthday.

Once you get into a job that sticks, it will probably really stick, you only need one. The early on time is when they're just really critical, after that they'll favor keeping you.

I hope you're right and that it's not too rosy of a forecast for me.

Then don't be blindingly optimist nor hawky pessiment, be the realist.