Hardkill

If older people are more conservative then do they have a more masculine mindset?

7 posts in this topic

Leo has mentioned before how conservatism tends to be more of a masculine quality while liberalism tends to be more of a feminine quality. 

Generally, as people age, we tend to hold more conservative views. 

So, does that mean that the older you are, the more masculine your perspective on the world is and the more masculine your actions and decisions become?

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

Generally, as people age, we tend to hold more conservative views. 

This isn’t accurate. People don’t move down the spiral as they age. Their main political views will remain the same. It’s just that the new generation will always be more liberal, hence old people are viewed as conservative. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I think all this stuff and ideas of conservative and liberal are always changing. A country like the Soviet Union has aspects of today’s liberals and even a country like Russia has state medicine which is commonly accepted by the people yet in the west people label a government system as overly liberal and “hippy” by some. What is liberal and what is conservative is constantly changing with each generation and usually it’s just the opposites. Have you ever looked into how the Republican and Democrat parties changed over the course of 150 years? I’m tempted to say the core differences between liberal and conservative are collectivist vs individualist but even then I see how some collectivists are very conservative by todays standard. Really I would build these two labels down to two big tents that are always changing over time and basically spilts in power structure, they don’t really have a core value they stand by that sets them apart since they change each generation what they are about. 

Edited by Lyubov

Yes. It's not a coincidence that conservatives prefer the old patriarchal world order and tend to demonize feministic ideas and world views. 

Let Love In

If you are more conservative you'll believe more in traditional gender roles, whereas a liberal person will more likely be more fluid and open in regard to these roles. 

Progressivism formulates when basic survival needs have been met. When survival is still at bay, the community is more conservative since it relies on those values for its existence (males going to hunt, females nurturing the kids). Older generations generally speaking have had to go through life on much harder conditions. So they are more conservative, id est more traditionally masculine. But I think we could differentiate between conservative and masculine. The masculine can take the form of the ideology, either the conservative or the progressive one. The progressive one will be softer and less violent, but it still can display characteristics and signs of courage, strength and leadership.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:11 AM, How to be wise said:

This isn’t accurate. People don’t move down the spiral as they age. Their main political views will remain the same. It’s just that the new generation will always be more liberal, hence old people are viewed as conservative. 

Yup perfectly said. Conservatives do get more progressive it's just much slower. 

But in a way yes just not in a practical sense. John Adams quote: "I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain." 

People get 'softer', more caring etc in a more sheltered world and men play a more dominant role in traditionalism, but for the most part older people are more masculine in a symbolic sense than in an actual practical one. Or at least they are broad aspects like respecting authority etc. Coming from a time with less women influencing society could be a factor. Having less resources for handling emotions and coming from a time where they are talked about less etc. Looking at it through a gendered lens just doesn't seem super meaningful to me but it can have some use in seeing how the world is shaped