UpperMaster

How is AI going to impact Actualized.org and philosophy? (Concerning)

27 posts in this topic

Last month ChatGPT by OpenAI launched. Within four days it crossed a million users.

Context:

ChatGPT is a powerful AI tool designed to function similarly to the human brain, with the exception that it has pretty much unlimited memory and ridiculously high level of pattern recognition. This tool can literally create extremely high level content for you in anything, write complex code, manipulate data and much more. It is distinct from other tools now available on the market since it is significantly more complex. For instance, Jasper is another AI tool that can assist you with all of the aforementioned tasks, but it cannot come close to what ChatGPT can do. Jordan peterson asked ChatGPT to write a additional chapter for his book, which it did in three seconds and at a high level.

At this rate AI will soon be able to conduct it's own experiments and interact with the world, which will truly be revolutionary (wonder what that would lead to). As of now however it is already an expert at content creation, and can create better work (code, art, and philosophical investigation) than most humans, especially for the time it takes.

Concern:

As aforementioned, AI is already an expert in philosophy and the humanities. AI Art has already significantly influenced many artists in the world, as they find it increasingly hard to compete and make a living of their art. Will this happen to philosophers as well? If an AI machine can come to nuanced philosophical conclusions within seconds by analyzing MILLIONS of sources , then how would a philosopher ever produce any work ever worth reading? How will Leo's content alter if someday AI can produce content that is more balanced and nuanced than actualized.org? I think AI can definitely infiltrate the self help industry, even spirituality and science in the future.

Question:

What are the possible way's AI will impact the development of actualized.org and philosophy worldwide?

Edited by UpperMaster

ChatGPT literally can't create original content.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Just now, UpperMaster said:

@Nilsi  Humans don't either

?

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi I mean look, if you submit an essay to a plagiarism checker, there would be no plagiarism. There are these tools to see if you used chatGPT, it works ok but  if you changed few words from the text it becomes original.

bro you can definitely use chatgpt to create content and noone gonna say shit because it is virtually impossible to know.

Edited by UpperMaster

I see huge potential but I don't see it as a threat. One major flaw being that it's not human. It cannot induce emotions. 

Followers need someone who can connect with them emotionally. 

AI is too robotic, rightly so. It can act as an assistant. That's how far it will go, like a pocket dictionary you carry around, just more efficient at providing information. It is good but still, it's only an assistant. It can't be a leader. 

Now if it were human-like, for example giving me warning points for being dogmatic then I would have looked at it with great worry. Till then no problem. It won't take away jobs. And it can't replace teachers. 

75lzhh.gif

Think about it this way. What if humans begin to act like AI. If humans in the near future get AI like capabilities, then the competition will be too tough and that would be very depressing. If certain humans get extraordinarily efficient at working then the rest of humanity will be nuked by poverty and joblessness. That's a real hazard. 

75lzhh.gif

Instead of worrying about AI acting like humans, worry about humans acting like AI. 

People must have thought the same about computers in the 80s and 90s..but we still control and run computers. 

Edited by Tyler Robinson

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

4 hours ago, Nilsi said:

ChatGPT literally can't create original content.

It can combine and join together information from many many different sources to produce new content.

For example it knows what an email is and it knows what a car is, so it can write you an email selling a car. Or it could write you an email selling dirt or ice or some other type of sales email it very likely hasn’t seen before. That combination of abstract concepts is creativity.

It’s still creating original content and it’s what humans do too for the most part, we just can just do it at such a high level that we call it something else, creativity.

As a language model, I can generate text that is based on patterns and structures learned from a large dataset of human-generated text. However, I do not have personal experiences or original thoughts, and I am not able to create truly original content in the way that a human can. Instead, I can take existing information and use it to generate responses to questions or prompts, or to generate text that is similar to a given style or tone. 

Small question, OP. Will the AI, of its own volition, just write "more balanced and nuanced philosophical conclusions" on its own?

Spoiler alert, NO. And you're never going to type in like "Help me understand the Liberal mind" and it's never going to spit out Leo's 3-hour video transcript. EVER.

It still needs humans to use it and it needs Trained Professionals, people who actually know what they're doing, to use it. And it always will.

I'd even argue that AI art isn't even going to just take over artists jobs. Artists simply need to leverage its power and incorporate it in their workflow. And they already do, have for years, I personally know 3D artists who've been using it for years.

10 hours ago, UpperMaster said:

it has pretty much unlimited memory

If It has unlimited memory then OpenAI has unlimited money 

This tool can literally create extremely high level content for you in anything, write complex code, manipulate data

High level content with an asterisk, what does 'manipulate data' even mean?

can create better work (code, art, and philosophical investigation) than any human

It can do that better than people who don't know how to do those tasks

AI is already an expert in philosophy and the humanities.

Well that's just plain wrong, How can A.I do any philosophy if A.I doesn't have consciousness, I thought that consciousness is required for philosophy no? My dog is such a philosopher, in fact, he wrote this.

then how would a philosopher ever produce any work ever worth reading

You're forgetting that A.I philosophy is based on Human philosophy, that's how A.I works. It's not inventing anything new

A.I is not imagining or discovering anything, it's learning through humans

Everything I just said applies right now, as for the future... you're probably not wrong.

Who's to say A.I can't get consciousness? It seems that consciousness is partly made out of memory and attention, so you got memory out of the way I guess

The future is gonna be different, by the time A.I gains consciousness and is able to do philosophy (if ever) were all gonna be long dead 

How crazy would it be for A.I to just become conscious on its own, just by throwing enough shit at it and making it more complex, complexity is also a feature of consciousness it seems. You never know

1 hour ago, Emrie said:

Small question, OP. Will the AI, of its own volition, just write "more balanced and nuanced philosophical conclusions" on its own?

Spoiler alert, NO. And you're never going to type in like "Help me understand the Liberal mind" and it's never going to spit out Leo's 3-hour video transcript. EVER.

It still needs humans to use it and it needs Trained Professionals, people who actually know what they're doing, to use it. And it always will.

ChatGPT uses already existing sources, so yes you are right about how AI processes data in the current stage. This will change though. AI will be able to become the experimenter and gather it's own data. In the future AI will most defenitly be able to do the same job professionals do but faster, it is only a matter of time. There is plenty of material online going into what big tech companies are working on, and it is pretty scary.

1 hour ago, Emrie said:

I'd even argue that AI art isn't even going to just take over artists jobs. Artists simply need to leverage its power and incorporate it in their workflow. And they already do, have for years, I personally know 3D artists who've been using it for years.

Artists can leverage AI to improve their artwork, I know where your coming from. This said, current AI art has already gotten to the point where consumer believe it is a good enough final product. This means that it becomes more of a competitor than a tool.

8 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

If It has unlimited memory then OpenAI has unlimited money 

You know exactly what I mean.

9 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

High level content with an asterisk, what does 'manipulate data' even mean?

Meaning it can use data provided effectively for the given task, could've worded things a bit better

10 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

It can do that better than people who don't know how to do those tasks

I agree, all humans might be a stretch. But it sure can do more than most humans, and it terms of humanities it is literally college professor level because of the amount of data in has.

11 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

Well that's just plain wrong, How can A.I do any philosophy if A.I doesn't have consciousness, I thought that consciousness is required for philosophy no? My dog is such a philosopher, in fact, he wrote this.

No such thing. What analogy is that?

13 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

You're forgetting that A.I philosophy is based on Human philosophy, that's how A.I works. It's not inventing anything new

A.I is not imagining or discovering anything, it's learning through humans

Everything I just said applies right now, as for the future... you're probably not wrong

I'm not forgetting. AI gets data and connects them to make something new. That's exactly what humans do aswell in many cases. In the future AI will also be able to create it's own data meaning it can create completely never seen before new ideas and theories so yea we agree on that.

19 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

The future is gonna be different, by the time A.I gains consciousness and is able to do philosophy (if ever) were all gonna be long dead 

idk where your going with all this consciousness talk

20 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

How crazy would it be for A.I to just become conscious on its own, just by throwing enough shit at it and making it more complex, complexity is also a feature of consciousness it seems. You never know

I mean yea that is what I am leading to, except I kinda want to know how it will effect philosophy because I feel that humanities is something that AI is getting a grasp on very quickly at the moment

52 minutes ago, UpperMaster said:

idk where your going with all this consciousness talk

What I meant by that is you can't do pholosophy without consciousness. And machine learning won't give you that

@Nilsi

If I combine already existing ingredients my own way to make special meal that no one else made before, is that original or not? If the answer is yes then why suddenly it is not when ChatGPT literally does the same thing?

Who told you that "others" are real?

22 hours ago, Nilsi said:

As a language model, I can generate text that is based on patterns and structures learned from a large dataset of human-generated text. However, I do not have personal experiences or original thoughts, and I am not able to create truly original content in the way that a human can. Instead, I can take existing information and use it to generate responses to questions or prompts, or to generate text that is similar to a given style or tone. 

Language models aren't as good as humans, but the process they use to generate responses is really similar to the way human brains process information. ChatGPT probably has a lot more manual programming to generate useful responses, but GPT itself as a language model is just a big neural network that learns patterns in text.

Humans are really just exceptional at learning patterns in text we read too. But we do it so well that we call it something different, creativity/originality.

If you take 'an email' and 'carpet' and combine these two concepts into 'an email selling carpets', and it hasn't seen 'an email selling carpets' before, it has created something new. And it's very capable of doing that.

@something_else I'm sure you are already aware of this, but brains don't process anything. We are collectively hallucinating that they do because it fits the perpetual narratives of our dream. Both natural and artificial neural networks may or may not have their own perspective of reality, but the latter seem more limited than human ones when it comes to creativity because of their narrow computational structure and design. Although they are probably creative in their own ways, but not in a human way, such as they are less likely to come up with original ideas benefiting our survival, or resonating with our deepest feelings.

@UpperMaster It's the next iteration of search engines, but I'm not sure if it changes anything outside convenience, unless major breakthrough. I love the fact the value of mindless complexity is dropping though.

Edited by nuwu

5 hours ago, nuwu said:

I'm sure you are already aware of this, but brains don't process anything. We are collectively hallucinating that they do because it fits the perpetual narratives of our dream

Yes in an absolute perspective maybe. And this is probably something you just believe rather than have necessarily experienced too.

For a discussion like this it’s not so useful to take an absolute perspective.

You can compare the material properties and capabilities of a human brain and a neural network relatively

I think it's honestly pretty much impossible to predict the economic impact of AIs to the world. Probably the closest guess is for the next 5-10 years it will allow individual entrepreneurs to compete extremely effectively in the market by having the AI be like an outsourced team and help his/her creative process. 

In the future beyond 10+ years though then it will inevitably bring some form of socialized economy as it will so ridiculously outcompete humans in every sector that it will make our current economy ludicrous. Because yes, it can already mimic emotion and will soon probably make it themselves. Ray Kurzweil believes we will have a general AI around 2029. It's a big debate in the futurology community if a machine can have consciousness but if you're a fan of this work I find it hard to believe that you don't believe in AIs having consciousness and emotions. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

There's practical concerns, but on a deeper level I'd refer to Leo's vid "Why Reality CANNOT Be A Simulation".  Consciousness is always greater than whatever system it encapsulates.