WillCameron

Looking for thoughts/criticism on my video "What is a woman? What is a man?"

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I made a video trying to articulate my current understanding of gender so as to better point to something like a positive masculinity. It draws from queer theory, metamodern theory, integral theory, and complexity science. I've been watching Leo's videos since 2015, so I really value the community he's created. I would love to get everyone here's perspective on it.

There are a few criticism I would already lay against it:

• Equivocating between gender and sex. I was trying to point to a superordinate category that contained either but didn't really explain this well enough. 
  • Not adequately differentiating between social construction and objective reality. As I said, I'm inspired by Dr. Jason Storms metamodern theory and their concept of metarealism, as well as Leo's Idealistic focus on reality as hallucination and Integral Theory's distinction between interiority and exteriority, but again, I didn't make this clear enough in the video itself. 
  • I also didn't spend enough time on holarchies and complex systems within each holonic level, and each quadrant.

I think there is only so much I can cover in one video before it becomes an entire articulation of a philosophical system, but some things I need to work on for sure. Let me know what you think. 

Thank you so much!

21 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Tl;dr? ?

Haha fair enough. I think of gender/sex as the non-essentialist effect of a complex dynamical system containing many causal processes that must be understood, but reduced to, from the biological, systemic, cultural, and first person experience. Each individual is an expression of this “spirit” and in turn feeds into the spirit itself with every interaction and experience they have. 

If you don’t understand what that means I guess you’ll just have to watch the video ;)

Edited by WillCameron

1 hour ago, WillCameron said:

Haha fair enough. I think of gender/sex as the non-essentialist effect of a complex dynamical system containing many causal processes that must be understood, but reduced to, from the biological, systemic, cultural, and first person experience. Each individual is an expression of this “spirit” and in turn feeds into the spirit itself with every interaction and experience they have. 

If you don’t understand what that means I guess you’ll just have to watch the video ;)

Ah. That didn't really tell me what you think sex is. It tells me which frameworks you use to understand sex. You can use those frameworks to understand many things, not just sex. What kind of system is it?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Ah. That didn't really tell me what you think sex is. It tells me which frameworks you use to understand sex. You can use those frameworks to understand many things, not just sex. What kind of system is it?

Could you please help me understand what distinction you’re trying to point to? I’m not sure I follow. 

12 hours ago, WillCameron said:

Could you please help me understand what distinction you’re trying to point to? I’m not sure I follow. 

Dynamical systems theory is a framework. It can tell me a lot of things. But in order for it to tell me something about a particular thing, you have to present a particular system and its constraints. For example, for the theory of evolution by natural selection, the constraints are variation, inheritance, selection, time and adaptation. What are the constraints for sex understood as a dynamical system?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

14 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Dynamical systems theory is a framework. It can tell me a lot of things. But in order for it to tell me something about a particular thing, you have to present a particular system and its constraints. For example, for the theory of evolution by natural selection, the constraints are variation, inheritance, selection, time and adaptation. What are the constraints for sex understood as a dynamical system?

Okay cook, thank you for clarifying. In this video I more focus on emergence and the causal processes that go into the emergence of sex/gender. It’s basically redefining sex/gender in terms of a process ontology rather than substance. Definitely something to consider in future videos so thank you for pointing to that.