Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest username

About To Embark On 40 Day Consciousness Retreat

11 posts in this topic

It will be preformed at home.  I've managed to carve out 40 days for pure consciousness work. No technology, reading, etc.

My question is this-- what should I do? I've initially planned on Do Nothing meditation all the way, but I think it might be better to go the self inquiry route, or perhaps I should mix it up.

Thoughts?

Have you even done a 4 day retreat?

You're not gonna be anywhere near capable of pulling off 40 days unless you have years of experience doing retreats.

This is not something you're gonna macho your way through.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I have never been on retreats. Best of luck.:) don't forget to post about your experience here.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

It's possible but how exactly should the structure (how many periods of meditation) be? How do you get food for that 40 days?

@Leo Gura Am I in danger of pushing myself too hard, or is it just not going to be feasible to do consciousness work that long and probably result in failure?

Do you have any recommendations on how to make the most of the 40 days for growing my consciousness?

Would it be best to spilt it up into smaller retreats with breaks in between, or perhaps set aside time to do practical things and just up my meditation routine?

Edited by username

@username Have you done any retreats at all?

I urge you to reconsider or at least test the waters first. I did a 10 day retreat and that was hard enough. I probably wouldn't have stuck it out if I didn't have a formal structure and other people.

@Leo Gura Never done a formal one. I've just structured my own ones. I'm usually a full-time student and don't earn my own income, so I need my family's permission to do anything that would require travel or money. The only one near me costs money, so I'm just organizing my own one. 

So far my longest continuous practice is  10 hours, but I've meditated and self-inquired for a total of a couple hundred by now. I'm not sure if that's enough preparation.

Edited by username

@username Start by planning a 4 or 7 day retreat. That will be hard enough for you.

I agree with Leo. I have never done a retreat myself, but to do a 40 day retreat all the suddenly would be extremely challenging. That would be like a person saying he is going to do a full iron man triathlon race with no training at all.

Edited by carlos flores

@username Look up a nearby 10day vipassana retreats around your area. There's a good chance there's one nearby. I've done a couple 10 days now and they kick my ass every time! You will pretty much fail if you don't have any experience of a more structured/scheduled retreats.