Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evgn

How AI will affect tech careers

9 posts in this topic

For one i have been studying computer science and learning to code with python because i am looking for career change.

Since this ChatGPT arrived i am very concerned wheter its worth while the effort that i am putting into learning that matter.

How do you thing AI will affect tech jobs? Which tech job will be least likely to be replaced by AI 1. Programming, 2. Software testing 3. Devops 

I have interest in theese 3 but i am a little bit discouraged right now.

Edited by evgn

39 minutes ago, evgn said:

How do you thing AI will affect tech jobs?

Its hard to properly predict anything, because everything is changing at a really fast pace, but I think , first it will probably make developers 100-1000 times more productive. I think it won't replace programmers overall(at least not for now) ,because that will take a lot more time (thats my assumption, but I can be wrong), but maybe we will shift into natural language programming, where programmers will program by giving natural language prompts to the AI ,but these engineers and programmers will still need to understand when to and how to use certain frameworks and in what circumstances.

It will be very interesting, because the best programmers will need to be super good at articulating problems to the AI, because that way they will be much more effective and AI will find the right answers much easier and faster(but of course to be very good at describing problems you need to have the background knowledge as well, so its not easily replaceable). The other thing that might happen is that AI might be able to automatically generate documentation for the code, and that would be insanely helpful.

39 minutes ago, evgn said:

Which tech job will be least likely to be replaced by AI 1. Programming, 2. Software testing 3. Devops 

I think programming, but eventually AI will totally replace programmers as well, but I think that will take the longest time . If it can totally replace programmers, at that point AI will replace every job, because it will be able to do anything, so I think if you want to be safe focus on programming.

Edited by zurew

2 hours ago, zurew said:

Its hard to properly predict anything, because everything is changing at a really fast pace, but I think , first it will probably make developers 100-1000 times more productive. I think it won't replace programmers overall(at least not for now) ,because that will take a lot more time (thats my assumption, but I can be wrong), but maybe we will shift into natural language programming, where programmers will program by giving natural language prompts to the AI ,but these engineers and programmers will still need to understand when to and how to use certain frameworks and in what circumstances.

It will be very interesting, because the best programmers will need to be super good at articulating problems to the AI, because that way they will be much more effective and AI will find the right answers much easier and faster(but of course to be very good at describing problems you need to have the background knowledge as well, so its not easily replaceable). The other thing that might happen is that AI might be able to automatically generate documentation for the code, and that would be insanely helpful.

I think programming, but eventually AI will totally replace programmers as well, but I think that will take the longest time . If it can totally replace programmers, at that point AI will replace every job, because it will be able to do anything, so I think if you want to be safe focus on programming.

True but if all it took was natural language... then I think programming could lean towards further commoditization. hence reducing salary, since the technical knowledge would be lower.

18 minutes ago, PenguinPablo said:

True but if all it took was natural language... then I think programming could lean towards further commoditization. hence reducing salary, since the technical knowledge would be lower.

natural language + a systemic understanding of the frameworks and how those overlap + a very good ability to understand and articulate problems. I think that even though there will much more programmers, the need for them will stay the same or will even grow (and the need is which mostly prices the salary). If a workplace can have such programmers that can utilize AI as a tool to be 100-1000 times more productive, that means that every programmer will be much more valuable, or at least thats what I would expect.

Edited by zurew

@evgn

3 hours ago, evgn said:

For one i have been studying computer science and learning to code with python because i am looking for career change.

Since this ChatGPT arrived i am very concerned wheter its worth while the effort that i am putting into learning that matter.

How do you thing AI will affect tech jobs? Which tech job will be least likely to be replaced by AI 1. Programming, 2. Software testing 3. Devops 

I have interest in theese 3 but i am a little bit discouraged right now.

I can relate. In most cases, it'll be context dependent and involves many factors to determine the degree of change and impact.

Will A.I replace jobs and human beings? No, unlikely in the short term, likely in the long term in decades to centuries, but A.I automation has been replacing specific labor jobs, for example the automobile factories and mobile phone manufacturing, to a degree, which released and decreased the demand for more labor work for production increase, but not entirely as employees still need to inspect by hand manufactured parts.

Learn Machine learning yourself and turn this concern into a blessing :^)

AI won't replace too many tech jobs in the near term. In fact, more tech jobs are created to expand the field of AI.

The jobs that are slowly being replaced are McDonald's counter staff (new payment machine), cleaners (new robot cleaners), rubbish collectors (automated collector) and more but All these are a slow process.

20 years back, people were all saying you can just listen to robot teach in school (or follow a video). Till now, I hardly heard of any physical schools replacing teachers with robots totally.

Similarly, since more than 20 years ago, you can actually buy term life or whole life insurance easily online without using an agent. But how many people actually buy? How many people actually say they want to talk to an agent first? The human touch is still needed in many fields.

Edited by hyruga

python is the primary language for most AI applications so if anything you might me a step ahead.