Juan Cruz Giusto

Suzanne Segal's Enlightenment

9 posts in this topic

Whasup guys! After Leo posted Suzanne Segal's description of enlightenment, it sounds like really bizarre and not joyful at all. Do you think this was due to a lack of a proper framework? A lack of a proper practice in which this stage can be transcended? This description of enlightenment is really on point but it lacks the bliss of being that many teachers preach. 

After doing some research, she had another insight about the nature of reality in which she realized that she was everything. The question really is: which is the difference between a master that talks about the joyful mess of being vs Suzanne's empty life. Let's make an interesting discussion ? 

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

That's what happens when you don't have a proper conceptual understanding of enlightenment and its various stages.

She went through 12 years of hell, and then quickly died of a brain tumor.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I don't see a contradiction there. It's only the mind/ego who is terrified of this and portrays it as something bad, because it literally is the DEATH of it. Many have a romantic projection on the state of enlightenment and don't realize that it's really a complete annihilation of the self. So I think a master already transcended this stage of the mind's grasping

I was really intrigated about the whole story too, I guess that's what happens with most of the people who have bad trips on psychedelics, they are so terrified about the truth, so much to handle that they can't understand, instead of heaven its hell, her story shows clearly why the whole process of enlightenment takes years.

I didn't understand why she was enlightened so early, what was different in her brain or what did she do different to reach such state? Also funny how they called  "ego death" despersonalization disorder..

I'm gonna read more about her

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@Echoes Well if it has already "died" it shouldn't be fearful of anything, see ?

@Juan Cruz Giusto That's what they call enlightnement sickness I believe ? Or maybe not. Either way the "no one is home" metaphor is really bad because there is no HOME to be in xD No wonder she went nuts, it's like identifying with everything but not having the "I" anymore ...imagine you have a body, a mind, a history, a life, but the you is missing ? She didn't discard everything as an Illusion :P

@Lynnel yes, if she is enlighted why is she having fears? There isnt one to feel fear.. O.o

@Outer wow, Ive seen that, I think bad trips comes from ignorance and misuse of psychedelics 

I'm devoring books and meditating my ass off to try 5meo, let's see if I'll bite my tongue xD

Edited by Laisa

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@Laisa Yeah, even if the body/mind has fear it's not YOUR fear because it's not you so that doesn't make any sense. It's almost as if she was identified without an ego xD it's so weird it's almost hilarious !

I relate to her experience of that terror of not being able to let go after the experience of no self and am getting my head/spine checked out just in case - these experiences seem so kooky, better safe than sorry.  Spiritual awakening feels kinda nuts.

"The mind's hypervigilance was exhausting. Because it was constantly engaged in rejecting the experience of emptiness, there was very little attention available for anything else. My life was filled with seeing no-self, and raising questions about no-self. Even in sleep the emptiness of personal identity continued unperturbed. No mental activity ever changed the experience of no-self in any manner, and none of the attempts to figure out, organize, or evaluate it ever brought back a sense of an individual identity."

I guess the main lesson in this case is to keep practicing.. There is a saying that goes like this (I'm paraphrasing): "it is better not to start, but once you did, you better finish it". 

It is obviously better in a relative perspective to be enlightened.. You will have a better time and be happier (please don't confuse relative with absolute truths). I'm sorry for this woman anyways ? 

Edited by Juan Cruz Giusto

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb