spiritual memes

Arguing with materialist skeptics online

21 posts in this topic

Anyone else spend a lot of time arguing with skeptics online? Sometimes I'm browsing on reddit and I see these so called skeptics 'debunking' spirituality with their materialist worldview. Sometimes their arguments are so self biased and stupid that I feel obligated to post a rebuttal. I then get dragged into these long tedious back and forths trying to expose the flaws in their arguments. This honestly wastes so much of my time and energy but its hard to stop.

I just get so annoyed when materialists act like their intellectually above everyone else. How do I stop getting triggered?

Hehe, just focus on your own work.

Reddit debate bros are trash.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Apparently, OpenAI is a blockheaded materialist who doesn't understand metaphysics. It literally doesn't understand what it's talking about xD:

What problems are there with Bernardo Kastrup's Analytical Idealism?

Bernardo Kastrup's theory of Analytical Idealism is a philosophical position that holds that consciousness is the fundamental and ultimate reality, and that the physical world is an abstraction or a mental construct. This theory has been criticized by some philosophers and scientists for a number of reasons, including:

1. Lack of empirical evidence: Some critics argue that there is no empirical evidence to support the idea that consciousness is the fundamental reality, and that the physical world is an abstraction.
  2. Difficulty in explaining certain phenomena: Analytical Idealism may have difficulty explaining certain phenomena, such as how consciousness arises from matter or how physical objects can interact with each other if they are ultimately mental constructs.
  3. Incompatibility with other scientific theories: Analytical Idealism may be incompatible with other scientific theories, such as those in physics and biology, which posit that the physical world is real and independent of consciousness.
  4. Lack of explanatory power: Some critics argue that Analytical Idealism does not provide a satisfactory explanation for the existence of the physical world or the nature of consciousness.

Overall, while Analytical Idealism is an interesting philosophical position, it remains a controversial and debated topic in the field of philosophy. It is important to consider the criticisms and limitations of this theory when evaluating its validity.

I'm going to stop with the AI posts for now :)

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Lack of empirical evidence.

lol, what do they expect to find? A signpost?

"You Are Here."

:P

Edited by UnbornTao

Raise your standards. Debate Discord materialists instead.

(This is sarcasm, don't be an idiot)

3 hours ago, spiritual memes said:

I just get so annoyed when materialists act like their intellectually above everyone else. How do I stop getting triggered?

In some sense, you keep getting triggered probably because you yourself aren't very spiritually-developed yet. You're like a chained guy from Plato's cave arguing with the other chained guys to come with you outside the cave instead of just escaping and going out there by yourself.

Edited by Extreme Z7

Going out of your way to debate every person who has a different worldview is not an efficient way of conducting life.

Ok, maybe you managed to change their mind. Millions more to go.

3 hours ago, spiritual memes said:

Learn to laugh at its absurdity. It's funny. Free comedy from the universe.

Fundamentally, you're still needy about having everyone understand you. People aren't really that good at understanding each other. The best person for understanding you, is you. That's all you really need. 

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Carl-Richard

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Apparently, OpenAI is a blockheaded materialist who doesn't understand metaphysics. It literally doesn't understand what it's talking about xD:

I'm going to stop with the AI posts for now :)

As Mr. Girl sometimes says: "Without using spiritual and religious terminology, philosophy, metaphysics and epistemology and psychology can you describe to me what reality is?".

@Osaid

8 minutes ago, Osaid said:

Going out of your way to debate every person who has a different worldview is not an efficient way of conducting life.

Ok, maybe you managed to change their mind. Millions more to go.

Learn to laugh at its absurdity. It's funny. Free comedy from the universe.

Fundamentally, you're still needy about having everyone understand you. People aren't really that good at understanding each other. The best person for understanding you, is you. That's all you really need. 

Maybe for the heated debates and arguments, but I think it's relative to each person. In my case, because I still can't effectively debate and argue technically seeking out discussions and initiating debates in a friendly way might help. Just going and practicing the Socratic method, that alone usually does most of the heavy lifting of attacking other positions and defending your own, by asking simple and different types of questions.

Of course, many other ways to develop the good life are much better. Better living and improving yourself and your unique qualities than trying to persuade and convince skeptics, although arguably speaking, the experiences of using rhetoric, Socratic method, and the process of convincing and persuading people isn't a wasted experience and skill set. In a different context, that soft skill might be handy in marketing yourself, or talking down a potential fight, or just overall confidence in verbally defending yourself in conversation.

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

Maybe for the heated debates and arguments, but I think it's relative to each person. In my case, because I still can't effectively debate and argue technically seeking out discussions and initiating debates in a friendly way might help. Just going and practicing the Socratic method, that alone usually does most of the heavy lifting of attacking other positions and defending your own, by asking simple and different types of questions.

Of course, many other ways to develop the good life are much better. Better living and improving yourself and your unique qualities than trying to persuade and convince skeptics, although arguably speaking, the experiences of using rhetoric, Socratic method, and the process of convincing and persuading people isn't a wasted experience and skill set. In a different context, that soft skill might be handy in marketing yourself, or talking down a potential fight, or just overall confidence in verbally defending yourself in conversation.

I didn't say you shouldn't debate people, just that you should be smart about it.

My point is to be more mindful about how you allocate your energy in regards to debating. There are different intentions and expectations people have when arguing, and some can be dysfunctional and needy.

Yes, there are useful skills that can be developed from debating. There are even people who create entire brands around debating, which reach many people. This is different from mindlessly debating random anons online. There are even situations where you might wanna change the mind of some close friend or family. That's all well and good. Just be strategic and realistic about it.

There are people who debate with realistic expectations, and those who debate with dysfunctional and neurotic expectations.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:
  • Lack of empirical evidence: Some critics argue that there is no empirical evidence to support the idea that consciousness is the fundamental reality, and that the physical world is an abstraction.
  • Difficulty in explaining certain phenomena: Analytical Idealism may have difficulty explaining certain phenomena, such as how consciousness arises from matter or how physical objects can interact with each other if they are ultimately mental constructs.
  • Incompatibility with other scientific theories: Analytical Idealism may be incompatible with other scientific theories, such as those in physics and biology, which posit that the physical world is real and independent of consciousness.
  • Lack of explanatory power: Some critics argue that Analytical Idealism does not provide a satisfactory explanation for the existence of the physical world or the nature of consciousness.

xD this list is comedy gold.

59 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

As Mr. Girl sometimes says: "Without using spiritual and religious terminology, philosophy, metaphysics and epistemology and psychology can you describe to me what reality is?".

I don't think he said the last four of those.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

11 hours ago, spiritual memes said:

Sometimes I'm browsing on reddit and I see these so called skeptics 'debunking' spirituality with their materialist worldview. Sometimes their arguments are so self biased and stupid that I feel obligated to post a rebuttal. 

Could you link those debates? I wanna see ?

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

@spiritual memes

You can apply this story to yourself and all beings whom you come to argument with

The Story of the Donkey and Tiger

The donkey told the tiger: 
′′The grass is blue". 
The tiger replied: 
′′No, the grass is green".

The discussion became heated up, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration, and to do so they approached the lion, King of the Jungle. 

Before reaching the clearing in the forest where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey started screaming:
′′Your Highness, is it true that grass is blue?".
The lion replied:
"True, the grass is blue". 

The donkey rushed forward and continued: 
′′The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts me and annoys me please punish him".
The king then declared:
′′The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence".

The donkey jumped for joy and went on his way, content and repeating:
′′The grass is blue"...

The tiger accepted his punishment, but he asked the lion:
′′Your Majesty, why have you punished me, after all, the grass is green?"
The lion replied:
′′In fact, the grass is green".
The tiger asked:
′′So why do you punish me?"
The lion replied:
′′That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that to come and bother me with that question".

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of their beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense... There are people who for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand, and others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t. When ignorance screams, intelligence shuts up. Your peace and tranquility are worth more.

Author unknown

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

It's pointless, you can't debate with someone who lives in another consciousness level. All you can do is leave knowledge behind, that's it.

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE

Please debunk my last answer in this post that i will link, and in all the other forums with claims and questions   that I posted in my last answer in the link

3 hours ago, Cathal said:

@spiritual memes

You can apply this story to yourself and all beings whom you come to argument with

′′The grass is blue". 
The tiger replied: 

The discussion became heated up, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration, and to do so they approached the lion, King of the Jungle. 

Before reaching the clearing in the forest where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey started screaming:
The lion replied:

′′The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts me and annoys me please punish him".
The king then declared:

′′The grass is blue"...

The lion replied:
The tiger asked:
The lion replied:
′′That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that to come and bother me with that question".

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of their beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense... There are people who for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand, and others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t. When ignorance screams, intelligence shuts up. Your peace and tranquility are worth more.

Author unknown

Excellent!

One of the most intelligent posts of the month. Hopefully you aren't pasting some AI :D

If you are, humans are screwed.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Cathal said:

@spiritual memes

′′The grass is blue". 
The tiger replied: 

The lion replied:

The king then declared:

′′The grass is blue"...

The lion replied:
The tiger asked:
The lion replied:

Author unknown

Kinda wish I had read this like 5 minutes ago...

Arguing with a materialist is like a poet  arguing with a scientist. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson