Focus Shift

Why AI Cannot Kill The Artist

18 posts in this topic

Many artists are concerned that the new developments in AI art will put human artists out of commission. As someone who's done video editing and 3D animation for 10 years, I argue that AI cannot replace a human artist. The reason I argue for this, is because the artist's job is to help a client make certain artistic decisions for the finished product. AI needs precise instructions to generate imagery. The artist cannot be replaced, because their perspective on anatomy, perspective, composition and so on is still needed to make a compelling image. What are your thoughts?

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

Artists need to stop thinking of themselves as people who make images.

As an artist your job is to set artistic vision and direction, to have taste, not to draw lines.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 17/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Focus Shift said:

AI needs precise instructions to generate imagery. The artist cannot be replaced, because their perspective on anatomy, perspective, composition and so on is still needed to make a compelling image

At the moment this is a valid argument, but if you look at ChatGPT for example it is able to combine pretty complex instructions and produce things like programming code based on those requirements. It’s basic and it makes mistakes just now but it’s already very impressive, and if you look at how fast AI technology is improving… hmmm 

Has anyone tried to use the chat AI to feed the art AI?

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I know these AI are still primitive but that doesn't mean they should cannibalize each other. :P

Jobs & businesses are constantly evolving. This is simply coming to test your steel.

Who sits above the A.I, You!

By the time A.I gains the ability to make amazing movies by itself, it will spread into other areas. (If ever)

Reminder that Steve jobs knew nothing about engineering or programming, but he was the leader of the biggest technology company. So in this case, Is Steve getting automated or are his employees having to do less work?

Edited by MarkKol

@Leo Gura yep it doesn't understand really how to prompt for now.

so I asked him to give me words in relation to my current inspiration.

for instance, I needed to know the name of traditional chinese clothes for a prompt, so I asked him to give me in details how they were looking / made / name etc..

I could have used google of course.

then I asked him to give me colors that are supposedly good in ancient china and to explain me why. ( so that I could interface with the global idea for each one )

in a way it's way more quick than google, cause it goes in details on each question and he hold the precedent insert to answer the next one.

you can put a sketch in MJ as a driving force for the prompt ( the more basic the more it help )
I sometimes take others prompt, I ugly draw on them the shapes I need, I then put them early in the prompt and add words.

That give the prompt directly a strong direction to follow and reduce randomness/chaos factor.

Edited by A_v_E

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Josie Kins has been doing stuff like this as one of several tools to help generate psychedelic visuals using AI. 

Edited by eggopm3

On 2022. 12. 18. at 11:55 PM, Leo Gura said:

Yeah this guy:

I'm not afraid of AI as an artist because it doesn't really can compete with me. Yes it can take images from google and make some nice paintings out of it but it never will capture what is exactly in my head.

Also AI morality is questionable in a sense that it uses photographs and artworks of artists across the internet without premission, it's a stealing. 

Let Love In

1 hour ago, KH2 said:

As long as the A.I. doesn't have it's own free will, and isn't a sovereign being, then it can't replace artists, leaders, thinkers, and people with vision in general.

Most people have very little vision and make very poor executive decisions, and so are easily replaceable with AI.

What AI needs is not free will but intelligence. As long as it is more intelligent than a human then it can replace a human.

Edited by Leo Gura

On 12/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, Leo Gura said:

As an artist your job is to set artistic vision and direction, to have taste, not to draw lines.

You need vision and the ability to execute that vision precisely, hence drawing your vision's proper lines and not relying on what some bot will churn out.

@Focus Shift

On 2022-12-17 at 5:24 PM, Focus Shift said:

Many artists are concerned that the new developments in AI art will put human artists out of commission. As someone who's done video editing and 3D animation for 10 years, I argue that AI cannot replace a human artist. The reason I argue for this, is because the artist's job is to help a client make certain artistic decisions for the finished product. AI needs precise instructions to generate imagery. The artist cannot be replaced, because their perspective on anatomy, perspective, composition and so on is still needed to make a compelling image. What are your thoughts?

I agree, to a point, that currently A.I cannot replace humans outright in the job and careers market. However, this does not write off the few possibilities that certain sectors in the art industry are going to be impacted by A.I, and that big corporations will try to use these legal loopholes to steal and do theft at mass scale. The technology is mostly free at the moment, with some A.I companies charging for membership, but wait until 2-5 years later, that should be very interesting because the so called free data and images these artists implement into the data bases, the companies can turn around and say those artists now don't have legal rights over their images, even though years ago they say those artists have copyrights over those images.

Also consider some artists are conservative minded as well, and certain art skills take years to develop, and this point than other points I'm more personally worried about because what's the incentive to learning and mastering drawing when your A.I image generator can do the drawing process for you? This creates likelihood of cheating Andy's mindset, of cutting too many corners. However, some types of art are okay with this as the production value that increases justifies image generation. If you don't strongly identify as a visual artist, maybe you are a game development and art director, A.I image generation can be very useful, letting you defocus to focus in on other more important art processes in your job.

On 18.12.2022 at 9:58 PM, Leo Gura said:

Most art is largely manifested through unarticulated and embodied doing. You can't separate the art from the process of making it.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@KH2

3 hours ago, KH2 said:

Wouldn't inteligence and free will go hand-in-hand after a while? The A.I. could become so inteligent, that it's actions would become basically indistinguishable from having free will, and maybe after a while, it could give itself free will

That's what will happen if humans are too liberal with A.I, and letting it 'naturally' evolve, let it go into the internet and source it's data sets from all data sets, open source and all private information.

@Leo Gura

On 2022-12-18 at 8:58 PM, Leo Gura said:

But Leo! Many artists start out drawing lines for their artistic visions, in visual forms. What if these A.I programs make most artists more lazy because most won't be drawing lines?

Also, drawing lines is important because that's enforcing boundaries for your own vision.

AI is a tool, the process is prompting, the second process is thinking on how to prompt correctly, the third process is to select the right ideas, the 4th process is to maximize how to shapes those ideas from the tool.

if anyone here believe prompting nice picture with 3 words makes great art, just plainly stupid af.

I can give a camera to every clown in town it doesn't makes them tarantino.

everyone against AI maybe shall elevate his thinking

when complexity in a thing go away, it allocate space to be complex somewhere else.

learn maths.

Edited by A_v_E

@KH2

On 2022-12-21 at 7:54 PM, KH2 said:

How would you suggest we go about it? I'm not an expert in A.I. technologies, nor have I studied it much to be honest, so I don't know

Which path in A.I. development is least likely to be harmful, and most likely to improve humanity's capabilities?

I'm no expert either, I'm just a pundit systems thinker here. I'd suggest more transparency in how these companies make their A.I programs, even though in practice all businesses will be incentivized to keep some of those processes a secret from other businesses, it's important to know how these A.I's take millions of data from the internet and how they machine learn, deep learning, neural network them into a way that results amazing level art work.

Maybe silicon valley companies, and people in general, should not maintain a technology nihilistic view, that technology itself is as meaningless as a piece of mental, but rather they should reframe and view technology as values generating for people and societies around the world, that technology does interconnect to every bit of information ecology in the modern world, pumping it full of misinformation and disinformation from our current culture wars, and ideological wars and political bipartisanships and economic/narrative warfare we do locally to globally. We should acknowledge that technology does play a part in how we are developing in SD stages of development, how we cognitively and morally develop, how we think and feel and form personas and develop personality types, how our states of consciousness and emotional/psychosomatic up to psycho-socio mass states are effected, how the internet limits and distorts our life experiences and other lines of development in different areas of life, and how the internet, technologies and A.I programs and algorithms distorts, generalizes and magnifies self bias and ideological preferences.

For example, something as simple as the invention of the car has actually changed our relationships to time and distance, how governments and businesses view parking lots and roads and designed cities such that they're car friendlier than to trains or bicycles, how the car and automobile changed careers, job opportunities, social relationships, ideas of travel, and so on. Think also, of how the Satnav or GPS system we have in our phones and vehicles changed how we thought of our environment, how we now prioritized it's instructions of where to go, and how we made secondary/tertiary the need to memorize and navigate and orientate ourselves to landmarks and spatially process where and when we go. Look at how it quickly made unpopular a previous technology, the cartography book of travel maps, where you had to take a bit more time to navigate and orientate yourself, from a 2d depiction of an area, to you looking around a 3d environment for landmarks, and how despite it's limitations made you more engaged with the environment a little bit more. Notice that, that over reliance of the GPS system, and notice how you take for granted that maybe the GPS can be wrong sometimes, that a hacker may be giving false information to lead you and your family into an ambush in some dead end street, but you don't bother to doubt your surroundings when the GPS is taking you, because the short cut is much better and the GPS is never wrong, right?

It's also hard for me, because this is more personal. I have had it hard to train myself to draw the way I do, and I have plans to enter into a art career. I will be fucking livid if this piece of technology decreases the market value of the particular industry I'm trying to get into. Maybe for most people they can't relate now, but I think that when we see how disruptibve this technology really is, is when you then can relate to my own fears of this technology.