Leo Gura

Illustrated Examples Of The Ego Illusion

9 posts in this topic

Anyone here fascinated by optical illusions as a kid?

I hope so.

There's something deeply disturbing about what they say about our sense of mental reality.

Here are some of my favorite ways to think about how the sense of self can be false and yet appear so real:

i-530b60d71531f780c3a0318c9dde49fe-Kaniz

Is the white triangle real?

star_kanizsa.png.fa9037b2c4881885a99f480

Is the white star real?

F0F-05-S2958.jpg.1bee858c57693399afbfc6a

Is the white square real?

cube.jpg.169fd5e3609143afcfa6ea9ae7c3c91

Is the 3D cube real?

Ilusi.png.b5c3b577a04016ea8f22b8b6c2b80e

Is the motion real? Look closely!

great-optical-illusions-03.jpg.d2518a979

Are the horizontal lines really slanted? Look very closely!

blackballs_1120775i.jpg.caa3adb089bee666

Are the blinking grey dots real?

rotating-spirals-non-animated-illusion-5

Is the motion real? Look closely!

Not as difficult to trick yourself as you thought, huh? ;)

Wait...

You? Thought? You thought? ...now there's the real trick! :D

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I had an experience with limits of mental reality this morning. I awoke rather sleepy, looked and did not see my wife in our bedroom, nor in the living room or kitchen. I called out her name and did not get a response so I figured she had left early on an errand and crawled back in bed. Turns out she was literally right next to me on the ground in the bedroom meditating in plain view.  When she told me later in the morning  smiled and nodded my head at the truth of the moment.

I absolutely love this, but also its unsettling, because it boggles my mind that the illusion of the ego is way more deep and even more profound than I'm aware of because it feels real.

Memento Mori

What's the big deal? It's just your mind switching from one contrast to another. Contrast trumps awareness because awareness is both limited and expanded by the level, dimensionality, and flavor of contrast.

There is difference between whether or not things are "real" and whether things are malleable or ephemeral depending upon the patterns of operation the different facets of our mind rely upon to translate the world as relayed from our senses... in other words don't make the mistake of labeling a product of mental limitation as some grand falsehood of reality.

Optical illusions mislead our senses they same way our sense of self or ego misleads our mind.

Most are living in a illusion of fear lies and false beliefs the egos portrays to us.
You can be rest assured its not how you think it is , its how it is.

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

This is really cool and for some reason it makes me dizzyO.o

Yes, I take these as a metaphor, if something so simple can fool the mind.

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."