Venus

Six Pillars Of Self Esteem Helpful?

17 posts in this topic

For people who have read and incorporated the book and ideas of the Six Pillars of Self Esteem into their life, how well have you found it helped and what did you find most helpful? Also did you modify any of the ideas to suit?

(Descriptive answers if you can please)

Edited by Venus

Hot shit yes! I literally feel like a different person after doing it.

Just bear on mind it will be difficult so use the only changing in 5% eg 5% more authenticity is better than a giant leap and scaring yourself.

I did read The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem and it helped me a lot to boost it.

I read it multiple times (excluding the last part of the book where it talks about external influences). Afterwards, I invented a 1-week program to help me integrate all the practices in my life.

39P2vUO.jpg

Basically, I focused on 1 practice each day and committed to be super conscious of how that practice runs my life. I would each day journal a lot about every event and how I succeeded/failed applying the learned principles. For example, you could write on Thursday (Personal Integrity) that you faked a smile and felt less authentic or that you didn't follow your values when you took a particular action. Other example could be that on Friday (Self-Acceptance) you avoided facing the mirror because you looked ugly or it could be that you felt bad about being sexually attracted to a teenage girl. You can have pages upon pages of these events and your thoughts on them. This way you'll integrate the practices much better and actually feel them working in your life.

I also did all the Sentence-Completion exercises for each practice, all of them at one sitting, at the end of the corresponding day.

The most important practice if you're a male is the Practice of Living Purposefully. This cannot be overstated. You will only be happy, pleased and satisfied if you are on your purpose and you're committed to something in life. You will find it very hard to have great Self-Esteem if you're not up to anything and just passively swinging across life. What happened to me before I realized this and took action on it, was that I felt a boost in Self Esteem when committing to programs on boosting Self-Esteem (partially because I felt that I finally was up to something that truly mattered). Also, I did not care much about the Practice of Living Purposefully until stumbling upon the book The Way Of The Superior Man (check it out, it's amazing).

The last day of this mini-program is reserved for contemplation and thoughts about how you felt throughout the week and any new insights that you came across.

I'm glad to have an opportunity to share this, so thank you.

@Venus it changed my relationship to myself. I just love myself more. I also did some work using the Sedona method to release blocks which I reccomend doing. I now believe I can achieve nearly anything I want to, and I've noticed I now think I'm way more awesome. Seeing this written down about someone else may sound underwhelming but when you actually feel this shift it's life changing. Feeling better about yourself literally changes your whole life. 

Probably the the most useful practice in the book is living consciously, when I first started doing it it scared me, because I realised that all the things I wanted to achieve weren't happening in my current path, and I was hiding things from myself. But very quickly it stops being scary and quickly you become used to applying the teachings in the book. The best thing about this book is it's like an upward spiral. Eg if you apply the teachings of being responsible you feel good about your life, which leads you to be more responsibls which leads you to feel good and so on.

The problem is most people are caught in a similar loop but to the negative, hiding/avoiding things from themselves and feeling worse so hiding more things etc.

Edited by heisenburger

I read a few book's since I entered this field of personal development about a year ago and this book I felt had the most powerful impact on my life. I'm only at chapter 2 so I strongly recommend it. This book will not only increase your self-esteem but also will increase your awareness (I also meditate daily for 6 months)

@Venus yes  this book is very useful , but you need to do practical work and exercise fill questions  about your past and your childhood unconscious behaviour,  about of each pillars you need unware you old limited belief  !

@Afonsodamn I really like that. But does that mean you didn't ever do like a whole two weeks on just one thing? Don't you feel like you could really suck the juice out of each pillar if you're doing it day after day? Yeah so how long did it take before you staryed seeing certain changes?

@heisenburger yeah I've definitely noticed that thing about the loops. I'll go look up the Sedona method

@mariustuhut wow, really that good? I knew it was valuable content but hadn't been putting it up in the clouds like that

@Deepak sadhwani yeah I'm finding the exercises are really what makes it

@Venus

I did two weeks on Living Consciously but then I got lazy and skipped. Changes don't happen that fast, because the actions you take will boost your self-esteem only little by little. If you make them part of your life, you can just keep boosting your self-esteem to higher and higher degrees, even though the progress is slow.

@everyone

What about the overlapping of doing different exercises? Doesn't it take up too much time and overwhelm you by trying to focus on all the exercises at once? How do you manage it all?

@Venus YES!!! I love this damn book so much. 

You know, two years ago, I asked my therapist what self-esteem was because I knew mine was terrible. She shrugged. I swear to god, she shrugged.

Now I have a rock solid understanding of it that makes beautiful, magical sense. 

nothing is anything

@Venus I read this right after I started doing 3 activities daily, consistently. I have always felt very incapable of being consistent. So, taking action that built my self-esteem, then learning about how that process was happening theoretically, was very powerful. 

nothing is anything

@Afonso so are you saying it takes ages? What else do you find helps if so?

@eskwire and was that mostly just from the book? :)

@eskwire so by 3 activities a day, do you mean like 1 differnt lot of sentence completions completions from one chapter, and another from another chapter and etc. for example?

I would suggest doing the sentence completion exercises according to Nathaniel Branden's guidelines - this means doing the 5 week programs. The thing is, you can't come up with all the answers for the sentence completion exercises in one go. This wouldn't be as comprehensive and as effective. You gotta spread it out, so you can find all the juicy answers (each day you have experiences that shows you more possible answers to the exercises)

It's actually pretty fun once you get into it. This is a very valuable resource, so I would suggest going according to the guidelines the author intended

I guarantee you,  this will definitely revolutionise your life. just make it a very active process and have a strong intention for increasing your self esteem

Edited by CreativeInertia