integral

How does someone's video gaming preferences change as they grow up?

17 posts in this topic

Is there a relationship between Spiral dynamics or ego development and gaming preference?

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Do you mean by games like card games, video games, sport games.. ? 

Just now, Jannes said:

Do you mean by games like card games, video games, sport games.. ? 

Yes video games. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Im playing Everything, its great. A game that crafts the experience of a different paradigm. We need to start making green+ games.

Im going to make a game that crafts experiences of leos content. 

Edited by integral

I used to love competitive gaming but the toxicity around the culture became untolerable during the years.

I have also became aware of my reasons to play, which has greatly changed my attitude towards gaming as my values have evolved.

My standard is:

- Play the game

- Did I like it? Perfect. Did I not? OK.

See the activity for what it is without superimposing models, and in the end it will just be a matter of personal preference (for whatever reason/s).

So I guess that my answer would be, there's a relationship between ego development and gaming if you create one.

Update: after 15 years I still like Jak & Daxter. :D

Edited by UnbornTao

@integral fr me i have less time so these video games must be shorter

preference not changed at all. maybe less shooting games

10s I played a ton of online RPG 

20s I played a ton of FPS and other first person fighting (swords etc)

Now I play almost nothing.  It feels like a huge waste of energy and attention. And more screen time = more headaches for me.
If a cool game comes out, I prefer to just quickly watch a gameplay to see what it is about.

@integral Stage red/blue fantasy seems for me to be a common denominator, the more "integral" a person is the more I notice they are interested in the whole game of survival, hoarding and playing. Also Green/yellow types of people like this a lot. 

I also personally feel psychology is missing out on this as a tool, there are a lot of wholesom inner child moments in video games, at a purple -> blue stage development, especially in more fantasy/rpg type games. 

For example: Terraria, Minecraft even, Subnautica, (personally divinity original sin2, baldurs gate series, oblivion (holistic orientation of cognition and depth)

I'd check out this book:
Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges and Leaderboards
https://yukaichou.com/gamification-examples/

I bought and read it, it's quiet insightful in terms of personality (orange/green/teal) how to construct a game holistically, for example a red game under holistic aspects with whitehat and red hat gamification, as this is more of a design standpoint also...

For me it's not easy it dovetails a lot with Sinus-Mileus: I know you speak German, so here I go!

grafik-sinus-milieus-de-2021.png

img-video-sinus-milieus-einfach.jpg

This model is fundamentally used by large coperations to distribute and customize their products to consumers etc. We created for example storyboards&customer profiles etc. To craft a user experience that is more enjoyable. 

For me it's mostly personal interest and "whole spiral" like to give an example, I'd recommend checking the sources for ideas, the book from Yukai, has loads of player profile and mechanic ideas. This is for me with a somewhat holistic perspective:

Stage beige: survival, gathering food, creating huts, exploring most fundamental basic aspects about nature, breathing of an animal, animations of characters, how real is it in contrast to real life? Physics potentially even just as a perspectie not implementation...
Stage purple: Fantasy genre, Anime, Western Fantasy, Witches, Witcher, Card-Games with elements, I love elements! water, wind, etc. gathering shiny objects, Pokemon, tribe menatllity, feeling elite and special 
Stage red: Mechanics, combat fighting games, competition, glory, shiny objects, 
Stage blue: Family aspects and chill, community of my own, own farm, team oriented, my team v.s your team. Team crafting also if possible
Stage orange: Points &Achievments, Elo score, How do I rank against someone else? How can I improve? What improvement mechanism are in the game? Can I upgrade my weapon? (Borderlands series) Can I customize my personal experience and improve my character with strength, agillity, wisdom, intelligence, endurance etc. Casuality focused, what is the most effective way, riddles, puzzles, 
Stage green: Farming raising a community, Sims?, community seen as diverse, diverse interactions, story telling focus, diversity and interactions, compassion and care, dysotopian themes! Post-moddernism, deconstruction, politics, intellecutal, choices
Stage yellow: survival in terms of the whole spiral, include most elements mentioned above, intellecutal, non-linear dynamics? 
Stage tq: ??? Spiritual game would enable and facilitate ones own practice, peaceful? exploring consciouness actively, triggers to explore consciouness actively, engage in mind-brain technology, might not be doable with current technology and full immersion

It's not easy. Would love to see different takes for example I feel Elden Ring/Oblivion/Fable/Divinity Original Sins, Baldurs Gate are somewhat tealish, with a red theme, just because of the vastness of complex interactions and non-linear dynamics. Hoep this sort of helps as a feedback.

Beyond?

My professor for example with 70 played cid-meiers evolution, because he loved strategy and he was well-off and had time. So yeah dunno.

Yes, it's a huge time waste also. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

On 10.12.2022 at 0:28 AM, integral said:

Everything

Ironically that is the only holistic game! That I know and never played.

when I was younger I only played sports games and FPS

then I got into RPG’s and refused to play anything but those

now a days i rarely play video games, they naturally fell away.

i still enjoy them every now and then but I’m so engaged with my real life that they’re less appealing than they used to be 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@ValiantSalvatore Nice response, looking at the green and up games they seem to be the only ones im interested in right now, the rest ive over played them. Its more the game mechanics needs to be green+. Im working on a yellow game right now, or i think its yellow ?, going to post about the game concept soon to get feed back and help flush out the components. 

The-Sinus-MilieusR-in-Germany-used-in-the-empirical-study-Source-Sinus-Sociovision.png 

English Translation. 

@OBEler @King Merk @ValiantSalvatore @Dioxide2533 @Jannes The common theme here is "got boarding or grew out of it or life is more interesting". Maybe its because the games don't reflect our interests anymore.

Why is the forum addictive? Its a question and answer game for a lot of us and about the topics and things we like to think about, its a yellow gameplay mechanic? A common place book is also a yellow gameplay mechanic?

I think if the right games showed up that macheted our current (higher) addictions we would get hooked like we did when we where kids. 

I think what our current addiction is, is abstract concept exploration and thinking games. Lets imagine a game where the point is to re-contextualize situations? Running around the open world we point the camera to a object and a interface appears showing the current paradigm the main character is experiencing it from? And in that interface we can see the paradigm as a flow chart, with nodes connected to each other, and we can change a node that will then change the entire perspective. Random Idea. The concepts need to be explicated for us to play with them like lego pieces.

Edited by integral

The more developed you are the more types of games you should be able to enjoy despite the SD level they are at. Aside from taste and all that.

Personally over the years, I still can't get enough of this gruesome stage red game. xD

Or this, I guess it's just my taste, but any sandbox type of game, which does not have to be difficult but has to be complex, pretty much gets me wet.

Edited by Yog

1 hour ago, integral said:

The common theme here is "got boarding or grew out of it or life is more interesting". Maybe its because the games don't reflect our interests anymore.

Why is the forum addictive? Its a question and answer game for a lot of us and about the topics and things we like to think about, its a yellow gameplay mechanic? A common place book is also a yellow gameplay mechanic?

Check this!!!

Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges and Leaderboards

Black Hat Gamification practically and FOMO it's legit a "mechanic" of the game. 

This Sinus-Mileus are also fluid, there is an evaluation each year as far as I know. I loved the Professor talking about this, as he was anti-mainstream, yet worked in big-business and had a rich family, and cared about the small people doing science so to speak. I presume also since the Ukranian War consumerism has changed more into the conservative. 

I took notes on the book to gamify, my life yet I was never able to fully implement the plan and a lot of apps are using this theory. Practically it dovetails with Game Theory as far as I know. 

I don't think I could nuance out the mechanics of a Yellow game for me a Yellow/TQ game includes AR in terms of mechanics as brain-face interfaces are listed as far as I know as teal. The theme of the game usually (how integral rated it) was mainly the determining factor of what consitutes a Yellow game. Maybe controls are the point about mechanics, if I could non-lineraly with intuition control a character I would most likely call it Teal+, I am unsure how critical that is if I include the factor about controls/keyboard&mouse&controller etc.

Most woud rely on a good old control and mouse, I presume Zelda and open-world game have more non-linear "randomesque" mechanics. The book could 100% help with game design decisions and target groups etc. Hope this helps again! 

Same I also love stage red games. Shooters and fighting is almost a must as a male xD. In simple terms triumph over ego = feels good. 

@ValiantSalvatore im reading it now great stuff, going to take this into consideration.

https://yukaichou.com/gamification-examples/octalysis-complete-gamification-framework/

@integral

Awesome! That is the core of the book IIRC there are a few player profiles under this octalysis model, where for e.g an aggressiv player coheres to 4,5,8 drives & stuff like this. Unsure if it's for free on the net could be with sort of individualistic choices without making a survey of opinions from others about various factors...again hope this helps!

For example a player with an aggressive profile would leverage points 5&8, also fps players fall into this pattern. IIRC