Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Majed

conservatism, liberalism and ego development

7 posts in this topic

if the conservative mind is the conformist stage of ego development as leo said. is the liberal mind the pluralist stage of ego development ?

Short answer yes, but it's a bit more nuanced than that.

In my experience the Conservative worldview tends to fit the Conformist and Expert stages, since there's a ton of pseudo-intellectualism within that domain as well (think of all the armchair experts doing their own "research" about vaccines or about supposed voter fraud in the 2020 election).

I would say the Progressives rather than Liberals are a better fit for the Pluralist stage.

Liberals tend to want to make the existing system more functional and equitable, rather than envisioning transformative social change like Progressives. So the Achiever would probably be a better fit for the Liberal mindset. 

But keep in mind these are all generalizations, and you'd be better off by not trying to force a 1:1 match between ego development and political ideologies.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@DocWatts so ben shapiro would be at the expert stage as well as dennis prager. dennis prager for example emphasize the importance of rational thinking. whereas a typical conformist in my opinion would not. but i might be wrong. 

by the way for a conservative, the opportunist might look liberal lmaoo

where do you think the opportunist, spiral dynamics stage red, would fit politically ?  or is it too instinctive to even care about modern politics ?

and i think a lot of stage blue people might confuse stage orange and green for red, since blue is a reaction to red. same way green might confuse turquoise for green. or orange might confuse turquoise for green or blue and yellow for orange.

Edited by Majed

2 hours ago, Majed said:

@DocWatts so ben shapiro would be at the expert stage as well as dennis prager. dennis prager for example emphasize the importance of rational thinking. whereas a typical conformist in my opinion would not. but i might be wrong. 

I'd say this is correct. Ben Shapiro is actually a great example of the Expert stage; in that he uses rationality along with (largely cherry picked and decontextualized) facts to evangelize for a traditionalist world view.

I'd say that this largely representative of how Conservatism has adapted to modernity, as rationality and scientific emericism are seen as the voices of authority in modern cultures, so conservatives will at least make an effort to use these to buttress thier worldview.

3 hours ago, Majed said:

@DocWatts 

where do you think the opportunist, spiral dynamics stage red, would fit politically ?  or is it too instinctive to even care about modern politics ?

If you want to see how Red tends to be expressed within a modern political context, Trump is actually a pretty good embodiment of the Opportunist mindset in action.

Fascism as a political ideology can be seen as a mix of the Opportunist and Conformist mindsets.

American right-wingers are Blue/Orange.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

American right-wingers are Blue/Orange.

Would that include conservative Dems too?