Raze

Should euthanasia be legal?

19 posts in this topic

eu·tha·na·sia

/ˌyo͞oTHəˈnāZH(ē)ə,ˌyo͞oTHəˈnāzēə/

noun

the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversiblecoma. The practice is illegal in most countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/03/opinion/canada-euthanasia.html

In recent years, Canada has established some of the world’s most permissive euthanasia laws, allowing adults to seek either physician-assisted suicide or direct euthanasia for many different forms of serious suffering, not just terminal disease. In 2021, over 10,000 people ended their lives this way, just over 3 percent of all deaths in Canada. A further expansion, allowing euthanasia for mental-health conditions, will go into effect in March 2023; permitting euthanasia for “mature” minors is also being considered.

@Raze

46 minutes ago, Raze said:

eu·tha·na·sia

/ˌyo͞oTHəˈnāZH(ē)ə,ˌyo͞oTHəˈnāzēə/

noun

the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversiblecoma. The practice is illegal in most countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/03/opinion/canada-euthanasia.html

Yes, euthanasia should be legal in most countries. There's no going around the harsh fact that a few of us are in tremendous suffering from an incurable and painful disease and irreversible coma. The question then becomes, how do we adjudicate legal rights around euthanasia?

Yes it should and must be legal. 

The right to die is just as important and valid as the right to live. 

And along the same line of thinking, suicide should be legalized/decriminalized and barriers raised on bridges be removed. Then I can jump off into eternity. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

I had a therapist when I was twelve against my will and she tried to manipulate me into believing that I was suicidal. If euthanasia was legal then they might have killed me and tell everyone that I wanted to die. So I'm against it. Offer people drugs instead that make them painless and euphoric.

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

1 hour ago, Eyowey said:

I had a therapist when I was twelve against my will and she tried to manipulate me into believing that I was suicidal. If euthanasia was legal then they might have killed me and tell everyone that I wanted to die. So I'm against it. Offer people drugs instead that make them painless and euphoric.

That's not how it works. Euthanasia is for medically terminal cases where patients are in extreme pain or really bad conditions and already dying anyway. Also for people with incurable extreme paralysis cases that want to die and cannot do it by themselves and are being kept alive against their will. Once legalized, there are protocols to follow, it's not something done lightly.

No one is giving drugs to suicidal people so they kill themselves.

@Raze I think it should only be an option if someone is in a chronic place of deep suffering with little chance of a cure, i.e. someone's face gets ripped off in a car crash and they have no ability to speak or see.

Otherwise, loads of folks with curable mental health issues are going to off themselves imo. Any logical reason given is really just a sign of the person's level of consciousness, and most of the time people can elevate their level of consciousness.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Used to support now not against yet but disturbed by reports of people in Canadian hospitals being reminded repeatedly and without solicitation of their option to die by doctor if their medical care is costly.

5 hours ago, Ulax said:

Otherwise, loads of folks with curable mental health issues are going to off themselves imo.

I've mental health issues and I want to off myself. I don't know what the problem with that is. 

If I feel better, what do I owe this world? 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

No, because I don't think this is about euthanasia. To put it short I don't want canadian truck drivers to be "mercy killed". 

On 12/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, Raze said:

Yes. We already have it for pets, for good reason.

There is no need to force people to live who don't want to live.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It's legal here in Switzerland.

The only criticism people have of it is that the families of older people can put pressure to euthanize so they don't have to pay for the nursing home and whatnot.

It's a somewhat weak criticism and most people like to have it.

be against it all you please, i go when i am all set

however if anyone is feeling really down and needs a listening ear, please reach out to me and let's chat about it ... i have seen plenty of darkness and come out the other end much the better for it

I think suicide should be legalized in general.

Check out this suicide pod in Switzerland:

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes. We already have it for pets, for good reason.

There is no need to force people to live who don't want to live.

We already have it for people too, though technically it's assisted suicide. It's illegal to euthanize another person (mercy killing). It's gotta be done by your own hand basically.

https://www.exit.ch/en/englisch/faq/

21 minutes ago, meta_male said:

We already have it for people too, though technically it's assisted suicide. It's illegal to euthanize another person (mercy killing). It's gotta be done by your own hand basically.

https://www.exit.ch/en/englisch/faq/

We don't have it in the US.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Emrie

On 2023-01-17 at 3:13 PM, Emrie said:

It's legal here in Switzerland.

The only criticism people have of it is that the families of older people can put pressure to euthanize so they don't have to pay for the nursing home and whatnot.

It's a somewhat weak criticism and most people like to have it.

Let me guess, most of that criticism is from the left more than the right?