Jannes

Jobs with a lot of free time

32 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Tahuti said:

@PenguinPablo No. You have to be sitting. Jobs like "Paychex", receptionist jobs.

Jobs where you have a laptop in front of your face and no humans which constantly approach you, diverting your attention away from your subject every 5 minutes. 

All cashier jobs are ass. You cannot predict the flow of costumers. 

Security jobs are amazing. You now are the guy watching the cameras. You can open your laptop and do your shit. But you can't have a boss hovering over you, micro-managing your management. 

"JANNES What Is this... come in my office. I have certain expectations of my employees. You actively are proving yourself to be against these. So, I will refresh your jogged memory of our companies terms and policies. Please take a look at the highlighted sections and let me know when you are finished. Now, I expect behavioral changes to occur. I hate to resort to disciplinary actions. You're a good employee. Okay! So, are..we.. On the same level? Thaaank you :)."

^Logical conclusion.

Dude I don’t even know what you’re saying. Your artistic expression escapes my linear minded understanding of things. Why would my boss fuck me in the ass? ?

21 hours ago, PenguinPablo said:

Sales job in a mattress store.

people walk in only so often...

you're by yourself most of the day in an empty store.

when people DO come in, you get a few chances to make a very decent weekly earning (low six figures at the high end... maybe 50k on the low end -- assuming full time)

That sounds absolutely fantastic. But how would I make at least 50k a year? That’s like double minimum wage. 

Edited by Jannes

16 hours ago, Twentyfirst said:

Paint houses and do it where your boss gives you an assignment so you paint an entire wall and he leaves you alone the entire time then you can listen to audiobooks its very soothing just stay away from the ladders get a coworker to do that 

I would read a lot of philosophy. Dividing my attention with painting probably isn’t a good idea as original philosophy texts are incredible hard to grasp. 

@blueberries, @Thought Art, @John Paul You are all super convinced in security jobs. But I just can’t see myself reading there. A security guy is supposed to WATCH OUT. How good of a security guy am I if I am not conscious of my surroundings? I just don’t get it. Or are you say halfassing it is good enough?

Most Night Shift work has lots of free time.

I work at an in-patient psychiatric hospital so we need workers 24 hours a day. So sometimes I pick up nightshift and just read/watch YouTube videos all night while making sure the patients are in their rooms. Getting paid to learn, it’s great. 

I had a buddy who was a tattoo apprentice and worked Night Shift at a gas station so he could draw all night.

If you’re willing to fuck up your sleep in the name of free time then nights are a great option while you’re focusing on skill acquisition   

The game of survival cannot be won. 

7 hours ago, kylan11 said:

Software Developer, fully remote, hands down. If you have a somewhat logical, problem-solving oriented mind, you can do a day's work in like 2 hours or less and then fuck around while keeping an eye for the occasional unexpected Microsoft Teams call. It's amazing how little it's expected of you as a junior programmer.

Just spend 2-3 months learning the basics of programming (I'd pick Python and Java), find a job (stupid easy to get an entry level IT job in this day and age) and have fun.

During the pandemic I was so addicted to weed I was stoned all day, could barely function, had serious short term memory deficits, yet I was able to keep my remote job without any issues and even be fairly productive. At least my manager seemed to think so.

Plus you get to wake up at 8:59 AM, turn on your laptop and voilà, you're officially at work.

Of course by doing the bare minimum you're not going to get promoted but it will be enough to get by while you cultivate your passions.

@kylan11 Intriguing. Any sites you'd recommend for getting a job out of it?

Also, any recommendations re where to learn python/ Java?

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

15 hours ago, Twentyfirst said:

Why not get a job tutoring people in original philosophy texts? Maybe youngsters (age 12-16) who have parents who want a better education for their children without shelling out the massive fees that professionals demand

As you teach you learn and they learn. Everyone is happy 

The demand for tutoring in philosophy is basically zero. I am also not interested in all philosophy texts. They are hard to read and when I disagree with certain perspectives from the start I won’t follow through. 

16 hours ago, King Merk said:

Most Night Shift work has lots of free time.

I work at an in-patient psychiatric hospital so we need workers 24 hours a day. So sometimes I pick up nightshift and just read/watch YouTube videos all night while making sure the patients are in their rooms. Getting paid to learn, it’s great. 

I had a buddy who was a tattoo apprentice and worked Night Shift at a gas station so he could draw all night.

If you’re willing to fuck up your sleep in the name of free time then nights are a great option while you’re focusing on skill acquisition   

Sounds good ?

3 hours ago, Tahuti said:

I was describing a scenario where the boss "Sits-you-down", and gives you a warning for trying to do your business at theirs.

Oh alright. I think the „:)“ at the end killed it for me. I also didn’t literally think that you said that, I overdid it a bit. xD

On 12/5/2022 at 11:46 PM, RedLine said:

lol, it is not that easy, I am in that business and you need hundreds of hours of experience behing the graphs, it does not work if you just apply a strategy robotically

I didn't say it's easy :D 

One of the hardest jobs in the world, but to most people it seems easy. I've been trading for 4 years, now I feel I am only at the first grade.

I just recommended it because if you become good at it after thousands of hours, you can get lots of free time.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, kylan11 said:

Software Developer, fully remote, hands down. If you have a somewhat logical, problem-solving oriented mind, you can do a day's work in like 2 hours or less and then fuck around while keeping an eye for the occasional unexpected Microsoft Teams call. It's amazing how little it's expected of you as a junior programmer.

Just spend 2-3 months learning the basics of programming (I'd pick Python and Java), find a job (stupid easy to get an entry level IT job in this day and age) and have fun.

During the pandemic I was so addicted to weed I was stoned all day, could barely function, had serious short term memory deficits, yet I was able to keep my remote job without any issues and even be fairly productive. At least my manager seemed to think so.

Plus you get to wake up at 8:59 AM, turn on your laptop and voilà, you're officially at work.

Of course by doing the bare minimum you're not going to get promoted but it will be enough to get by while you cultivate your passions.

I'm currently in a similar predicament as OP. I'm also looking for remote work. In the past I did consider software development. But kind of got distracted and did some other stuff like sales.

The thing is, I did get a couple simple projects under my belt with coding and programming. I pretty much learned all of HTML and CSS.

Made some simple websites with flexbox and all that type of stuff made it look real nice and function as well

I didn't do any JavaScript related stuff, that's pretty much where I left off.

From where I'm at, how much work do you think I would have to put in to become a junior software engineer? If it's only a matter of 2 months or less then it's definitely something I would consider working for.

But as of now, I'm working towards some other stuff, but it probably won't be as stable or as secure as an entry level software engineer role which I kind of need considering how much I messed up my finances in the past couple years

Edited by PenguinPablo

28 minutes ago, PenguinPablo said:

I'm currently in a similar predicament as OP. I'm also looking for remote work. In the past I did consider software development. But kind of got distracted and did some other stuff like sales.

The thing is, I did get a couple simple projects under my belt with coding and programming. I pretty much learned all of HTML and CSS.

Made some simple websites with flexbox and all that type of stuff made it look real nice and function as well

From where I'm at, how much work do you think I would have to put in to become a junior software engineer? If it's only a matter of 2 months or less then it's definitely something I would consider working for.

But as of now, I'm working towards some other stuff, but it probably won't be as stable or as secure as an entry level software engineer role which I kind of need considering how much I messed up my finances in the past couple years

If you wanna be a frontend web developer, from where you are you could probably get an entry level job just by learning JavaScript and building up a nice portfolio.

If you wanna be a more general purpose web developer you'd also need to learn a backend language. I'd recommend a PHP framework like Laravel or a Python framework like Django. And again you'd want to build up a portfolio with those frameworks.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:37 AM, Ulax said:

@kylan11 Intriguing. Any sites you'd recommend for getting a job out of it?

Also, any recommendations re where to learn python/ Java?

I'd start with Google IT Automation with Python. Great course, great instructors, a complete know-how to become a promising junior Python coder. Doesn't just deal with the code but also practical aspects about working in IT.

I don't have any specific recommendations for the job hunt (I'm in Italy and I don't really know how it works outside of it :P) except making a professional looking LinkedIn profile (make sure to link your Google certification). I get about 10 job offers per month there. There's so much demand for programmers it feels like cheating when compared to the reality of finding a job as a young person in other fields.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, PenguinPablo said:

Well that depends, if you're looking to become a front end developer having a solid grasp of HTML and CSS is a great place to start. Yes, 2 months or less should be enough for you to become decent at Javascript, Typescript and Angular, granted you are serious and motivated. Following a structured online course is a good idea, even better if there's some sort of certification to show in your resume.

Edited by kylan11