WisdomSeeker

Could certain types of Autism be an advantage for meditators?

7 posts in this topic

I had a meditation teacher who could cut him self off with ease from the world, not get tied up in emotions as easily as a normal person and focus for very long periods of time. He also had some idiosyncracies though too.  My friend asked me if he was on the spectrum and I had to think about this. As I thought about this, it made me think of a number of great meditators I know, with habits and personality traits that make me wonder if they are on the spectrum, as well.

It made me think could being on the autistic spectrum be an advantage in meditation? I realize that the spectrum is wide and so different forms of autism can have different effects and chacteristics. But here's a list of possible advantages certain types of Autism could provide in meditation: 

- A preference for being alone: "It's common for people with ASD to prefer being on their own."

- "Exceptional honesty and reliability."

-  General Discipline: 1) "Being dependable in regards to schedules and routines." 2) "Able to concentrate for long periods of time when motivated."

- To be a good meditator you have to let go of the common way of thinking and even act in counter- intuitive ways to calm the brain: 1)"A capability for alternate problem solving." 2)"A rare freshness and sense of wonderment."

Curious about peoples' thoughts on this?

I feel that in a way, all minds are on the spectrum. Awakening is not falling below thought, but realizing your ultimate nature beyond thought.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Sometimes in practical ways it can also simply lead a person away from mainstream, and hopefully towards good spiritual teachers and such

It generally just helps to be absolutely obsessed by something. The thing about autism is that the obsessions tend to be very fixed, while say a psychotic person could be equally as obsessed but more flailing.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Yeah, I believe it could help, but as you know, autism is a spectrum, and I think low levels of it could help.

If someone has severe autism, I'm not sure if it would be easier for that person to be more mindful or meditate better. I know a few people with severe autism, they can be alone for sure, but meditation is not just being alone, many times they are not comfortable with their thoughts and it kinda bothers them.

Any weakness will be turned advantageously into the greatest strength by one who is in adequate alignment with the source of all power

Sure. Ralston has some kind of boarderline austim from what I overheard.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.