Porphyry Fedotov

I left Russia, need some advice

7 posts in this topic

So here is a brief outline of my situation. I used to live in Russia and when the partial mobilization started I moved to Kazakhstan with thousands of my compatriots. I didn't even have an international passport because it was such a rush decision. Thankfully I have a remote job - I'm a tpp precheck manager, in a nutshell I'm confirming reservations, solving cases when hotels doesn't see bookings, dealing with the hotels, agencies, writing e-mails and such. It is kind of okayish wagewise for Russia cuz when your rent is only $160 a month $500 doesn't seem that bleak. However here things are more complicated, like for example since I don't have an international passport I can't even open an account in local banks. And since Russian banks are cut from swift it isn't easy to transfer your money and convert them into local currency. My sister opened an account for me but it's a such pain in the ass to transfer you money from one bank to another. I applied for an international passport in a Russian embassy, but it's gonna take like 3 months. 

Another thing is that I can only stay here for 90 days, so soon I will either have to do a visa run to a different country or to buy a fake job contract to get a working visa here.

I would appreciate any advice. To be honest I'm not planning on staying here for too long. I'd love to move to Argentina, like it's extremely friendly for migrants, you can easy get a citizenship and Argentinian passport is pretty powerful one. From doing my research online I figured out that you can live in Argentina even on $ 500 a month (in cities like Mar del Plata for instance), another option is Balkan countries (Montenegro specifically).

So I'm looking for other ways to earn money online. My working schedule is 2/2 from 9 till 21, I have two days off for either working a potential second job and learning new skills. I already have at least one skill - my English, which I'm using for my job.

I'd like to find a job in some entry-levell IT related sphere, like what skills do I have to master? I know that figma is pretty promising thing in this department. Is that so? What skills one can master in a month or two and start making money straight away?

I'd consider both Argentina and Montenegro a temporary stay If I was you, Look to immigrate to a first world country eventually.

You also have Serbia, they're not too strict and I believe you can buy yourself a way in (legally). Balkan languages are also Slavic so they should hit close to home. However Slavic people are not super developed on average, we have a long history of war and corruption. That's why I personally wouldn't stay for years on end. Many people can't tolerate such intense corruption, that's why they leave, that's why Croatia's population is decreasing so fast. In a few years, you'll be able to go to Germany and meet more Balkan people than you would in their home countries.

Maybe you can apply for asylum somewhere, I'm not sure if it applies for you especially now that you left the country, you can try. In which case I'd aim for Canada, It's a balanced country compared to others, you have Europe's green-ishness and American's English all in one. I don't think many people understand the benefit of English as their countries main language, It's an immense positive.

that being said I've never been to Argentina, but Balkan standards of living aren't hard to beat. So don't let me discourage you from moving somewhere else

I don't see a reason why you should look for such short term solutions, you have a remote job so if its stable you should definitely look for better education, either go to collage somewhere or at least pick up a few free or paid courses to learn. Also don't limit yourself to 'online'. Real jobs like engineering are needed everywhere. If you learn something like that you can work in pretty much any country you want, on any continent. if you don't end up going to collage because of your confusing geo-political situation and language barriers. Again, Courses and various internet resources can teach you a lot. Build an impressive resume/portfolio and done.

Nobody here can tell you exactly what to do, It's only appropriate for us to give you general advice. Nothing specialized.

Putin has really fucked everyone in his proximity, I get mobilization when you're trying to defend your country, but picking people like rabbits and forcing them to accomplish your silly goal, I'm lost for words. I personally don't have too much tolerance or forgiveness for such bullshit, so even if they begged to go back, I'd try my best not to contribute or be a part of a country like Russia ever again. But that's just me

Hi, I am form Montenegro and at the moment there is a lot of Russian and Ukraine people here. My brother is a RealEstate agent and he is searching deals for those people on daily bases. 
Here you can make a company or something and be a resident as long as you need, I believe. It will cost you about 100€ a month. 
But, if your goal is to survive on 500€ a month, it will not be easy. Since the war started food raised in price and RealEstate skyrocketed. 
If you decide to come anyway, hit me up, I will gladly help as much as I can.

Coding jobs pay well. PHP coding pays real well.

You can also try online marketing jobs

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Practical steps to become a hireable PHP guy in a month:

During your two off days take some armodafinil and start learning eg. PHP right after waking up. 8 - 12 hours.

If you have zero distractions you can learn the basics, OOP, testing & build a project that could get you hired within a month.

(The project should show that you have a good grasp of object oriented programming  - Abstraction, Encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism. That you know how to work with eg. Rest API & that your code is clean. Good book for that is Clean Code)

If you're going to go with PHP you should also learn how to work with REST API, since that's what you will probably have to work with.

So basically, cut out all the distractions temporarily (hobbies etc) and just focus on something like this and you could get hired within a month.

If these sound like buzzwords then read again after learning the basics. If you're going to go with PHP.

Edited by Michal__

Reading this makes me appreciate being born in a first world country

Best of luck bro 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Hi, bro.

I left Russia at the end of September for the same reason. 
I would advice to use cripto stable coins(usdt) to transfer money from the russian bank card to the international bank card, or you can transfer rub->usdt->cash usd

Good luck!