John Iverson

For personal development: What kind of chair would you recommend?

18 posts in this topic

What brand and what kind of chair or what ergonomic chair exist out there that I can look forward to buy. 

As someone who has a deep understanding of human biomechanics I suggest minimizing time spent in chairs.

Personally I do all my work while sitting in the ground or on a meditation cushion. I have a Japanese style floor table that I use as my desk.

I also don’t own a couch or any chairs in my home. They’re terrible for your joints

Edited by King Merk

The game of survival cannot be won. 

4 minutes ago, King Merk said:

As someone who has a deep understanding of human biomechanics I suggest minimizing time spent in chairs.

Personally I do all my work while sitting in the ground or on a meditation cushion. I have a Japanese style floor table that I use as my desk.

I also don’t own a couch or any chairs in my home. They’re terrible for your joints

100% good advice right here. Also look into standing desks.

Herman Miller Aeron is the best or one of the best in the market afaik, based on research I did some time ago. It's pricy though.

these go hard, great for meditation if you're like me and struggle to sit on the floor cos of tight muscles

249060256.jpeg

11 hours ago, King Merk said:

Why? What is the difference between sitting on the ground and on a chair? Just curious.

13 hours ago, King Merk said:

You're saying you sit on the ground without anything to support your back? 

I've tried that, and felt about 30 years older when I got up

future-wheelchairs-off-road-2-468x351.jpg

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

@blueberries my working and resting positioning is on the floor. I’ve eliminated any traditional chairs from my life for the most part.

Using chairs is asking for joint issues (back, neck, hip pain, etc)

@King Merk Sitting on the floor is awesome, although I find it uncomfortable to work on a laptop because I still find myself rounding my shoulders anyways (and straining my neck forward). Have you found a solution in this sense?

@Waves yea a yoga cushion helps quite a bit. Also strengthening your core/back muscles.

As a rule of thumb any time you’re sitting (or standing) keep your hips behind your ribs. If you’re rounding your shoulders in a rested position here then that’s fine.

With the neck just remain aware of its positioning and try to keep it long

@King Merk I see, good stuff. I also remember another good rule of thumb to have your knees lower than your hips, so that your hip flexors aren't compromised that much, which is taken care of with a yoga cushion.

I should get one of these with an external monitor (and a yoga cushion as you mentioned), so I'm looking right in front of me instead of a bit down, which keeps me more alert.

maxresdefault.jpg

@Waves yea that looks like a sick setup

And good idea with the monitor. I’m 6’4” so I’m like always looking down at shit and it’s def put a toll on my neck