playdoh

Is connecting to your breath same thing as feeling the body?

10 posts in this topic

I’m always hearing this, connect to your breath. Sometimes it doesn’t feel in alignment for me to connect to my breath, I’d rather feel my body for example or get present looking at an object. Sometimes when I do “force” myself to connect to breath even though I don’t feel like it, I get a feeling of disassociation kinda. But on the other hand when I do this I’m often able to see any parts of my body that may be tense through doing a quick body scan and loosen up those parts. 

What do you reckon, what does it mean to connect to our breath, is it literally connecting to breath or just getting present? 

Whether the meditation object is your breath, the inner body, or something else doesn't really matter. All serve the same purpose as a focus of attention allowing you to settle into pure awareness without thought distractions.

Some people find a particular object less distracting for them, and use it for that reason. Although the breath is probably the most common, it doesn't work well for me either. I prefer to focus on the inner body. Eckhart Tolle talks a lot about it, starting with the hands as the focal point.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

2 hours ago, Moksha said:

Whether the meditation object is your breath, the inner body, or something else doesn't really matter. All serve the same purpose as a focus of attention allowing you to settle into pure awareness without thought distractions.

Some people find a particular object less distracting for them, and use it for that reason. Although the breath is probably the most common, it doesn't work well for me either. I prefer to focus on the inner body. Eckhart Tolle talks a lot about it, starting with the hands as the focal point.

Thankss for ur input. 

I still feel a difference when I connect to my breath. Like I’m more present. Maybe it’s a journey ey? Anymore feedback would be awesome. 

I just finished a 10 day Goenka retreat, and I will say that when you DEEPLY connect to the breath amazing things start happening.  By day 7 or so my whole body felt luminous, and it was like all my impurities and blockages were on fire, just burning away with each deep inhale and exhale.  This takes a certain momentum that is hard to do outside of retreat, but it is certainly possible and incredibly healing.  But you gotta go for it 100%, no distractions.

50 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I just finished a 10 day Goenka retreat, and I will say that when you DEEPLY connect to the breath amazing things start happening.  By day 7 or so my whole body felt luminous, and it was like all my impurities and blockages were on fire, just burning away with each deep inhale and exhale.  This takes a certain momentum that is hard to do outside of retreat, but it is certainly possible and incredibly healing.  But you gotta go for it 100%, no distractions.

Awesome. Btw I was just referring to taking like 3 conscious breaths for a break throughout the day or feeling inner body for like 30 seconds versus a full on meditation. 

@playdoh I think the best thing to do would be do both techniques (body scan and focusing on breath)  at different times and notice the differences yourself and make it a experiential understanding.

The thing about focusing on a breath is how it trains the mind. You focus on the breath, as thoughts come in and distract you, simply acknowledge them, and refocus on breath. There is a lot to be said about this and I can’t get into everything here.

Body scan is really important but if your mind is scattered with thoughts and you haven’t trained it on the breath you’ll likely jump around a bunch and get distracted.

These two practice compliment each other. The more you feel your body, and the more to notice toy breath opens up much possibility.

I do thing sitting meditation and focusing on the breath has huge benefits for being able to train the mind, observe cognitive functions, let go of story, be with what is, developing a neutral self observation skill, etc

Body scan is also a really important skill and when combined with yoga, Qigong, breathwork, diet, and mindfulness gives you a super power that many people miss out on… emotional mastery and self regulation. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@playdoh The book “Full Catastrophe Living” Jon Kabatt Zin is really powerful for understanding meditation at a deep level. He talks about all this stuff and makes great distinctions. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

49 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Body scan is also a really important skill and when combined with yoga, Qigong, breathwork, diet, and mindfulness gives you a super power that many people miss out on… emotional mastery and self regulation 

<fo shooo

50 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

The thing about focusing on a breath is how it trains the mind. You focus on the breath, as thoughts come in and distract you, simply acknowledge them, and refocus on breath. There is a lot to be said about this and I can’t get into everything here.

Yes, same can be done with a body scan. The breath is just an anchor.