preventingdiabetes

Thoughts on Whey Protein Isolate?

11 posts in this topic

My functional medicine doctor has recommended that I either take Whey Protein or Marine Collagen to increase my protein intake.

I am lactose intolerant, and Whey Protein Isolate is lactose free + gluten free, but contains dairy (milk). Is it still okay to take it?

Or should I just have Marine Collagen instead?

Eat eggs.

Both whey and marine have heavy metals as well as cause inflammation. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Yes to my knowledge people who are lactose intolerant and consume milk products without lactose are good. 
But yeah the heavy metal problem might be a concern. Other protein powders like plant protein powder are unfortunately even more likely to contain heavy metals. 
Although not as convenient many regular foods are a great source of protein as well and can completely cover you. Eggs are just one example. Just do a little google search on look for what you like. You can even do it vegetarian/vegan if you prefer that. 

What's your additional requirement? Could you just up your dietary intake?

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, integral said:

Eat eggs.

@integral

I have histamine intolerance so eggs are a no-go for me (for now, hopefully).

Hopefully histamine intolerance isn't permanent.

1 hour ago, integral said:

Both whey and marine have heavy metals as well as cause inflammation. 

I did not know that. Does every type of whey and marine collagen contain heavy metals?

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

Although not as convenient many regular foods are a great source of protein as well and can completely cover you.

Could you list examples other than foods high in histamine like eggs? I have histamine intolerance so I need to be a bit cautious.

Eggs make me feel inflamed.

Also, for some odd reason, I don't like the taste of eggs anymore.

I used to like eggs, I don't know what happened.

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

You can even do it vegetarian/vegan if you prefer that. 

I've tried vegetarian/vegan but I literally can't function. I already have bloating and constipation as is, and most staple foods in vegan and vegetarian diets consist of foods that bloat me a lot (e.g. legumes).

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

What's your additional requirement? Could you just up your dietary intake?

@Michael569

Thanks for chiming in, Michael. What do you mean by additional requirement? As in, how much protein I am aiming for?

I was advised to aim for 140g of protein. I am finding it difficult to meet this amount with food alone.

Also, it has been a while since I last had this much protein. My protein intake has been quite bad throughout this year, and I am still growing so I think it is important.

This article/transcript/podcast talks about it: https://drruscio.com/protein-intake-is-crucial-for-your-health/

48 minutes ago, preventingdiabetes said:

Could you list examples other than foods high in histamine like eggs? I have histamine intolerance so I need to be a bit cautious.

https://healthbeet.org/printable-high-protein-food-list/

Or take a different list. Just google high protein food sources and you will find plenty of information.

Bottom line: Lean meats, milk products, fish, soy products and legumes are great protein sources and whole grains/seeds/nuts can also contribute a good amount. 

Why not try a vegan protein powder? The vegan protein powder I buy $20 cheaper at Costco than everywhere else, but I can't assume where you live.

Drink it with something simple like an unsweetened almond (low calorie) or soy(better protein content) milk?

If you don't want diabetes, a vegan diet is literally the only hope to reversing and basically curing type 2 diabetes.

we are literally God's name, continuously pronouncing.

@preventingdiabetes Stay away from all synthetic stuff like whey powders. It will clog up your whole system, probably give you brain fog and make your mood bad. Try t do it naturally. The last time I drank whey protein it gave me depression for a couple of days until it was out of my system. Threw that shit away the next day I felt ok.

Mahadev

Two perspectives:

https://cleanlabelproject.org/the-best-worst-protein-powder-products/ - Check out the infographic and study here

https://www.nsf.org/news/clean-label-projects-protein-powder-report-overlooks-basic-scientific-princ - Opposing viewpoint: "There is no peer-reviewed scientific evidence to support the Clean Label Project's implied claim that detectable levels of heavy metals present a health risk."

I think most people here are going to lean toward opinion 1 xD. So I'd look at the list of protein powder brands they recommend.