thisintegrated

Thoughts on the Metaverse?

15 posts in this topic

Everyone was so convinced Meta was dead when it dropped below $100 per share.. I bought some and sold for a profit as it's recovered so much so quickly, as should've been expected after that stupid drop.  The masses are rarely right.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Meta needs to make something like the Playstation Home.  It was a small virtual place with shops, ads, and events.  It doesn't sound like anything amazing, but..

• It was really popular, free, and accessible to everyone.
  • People spent real money on virtual items.
  • It had these massive closed doors which sometimes opened up to a new space that the devs had just created.  This allowed them to concentrate on the quality of a small space, while allowing themselves to expand when ready.
  • When space, even when virtual, is limited and designed around a centre, that space becomes valuable, and you can charge a lot for ad-space, and for events/exhibitions held in the centre.  I've heard of celebrities hosting events in Fortnite.  Imagine the "Metaverse" having a town centre, and celebrities hosting events there.  This will happen no matter what, and if Meta's the first to create a proper virtual eco-system, they'll be worth more than Google, Apple, and Amazon combined, one day.
  • Also.. I think as PSVR becomes a bigger focus for Sony, they'll realize they have to bring PS Home back.  They have to do this, no matter what.  Soon, Sony will stop releasing consoles, and start releasing just PSVR, and the only thing that will keep them unique will be their game companies and the Playstation Network/Store, which will only make sense as in the form of VR ..in other words, in the form of Playstation Home.

39 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

The problem with it is that nobody knows what it is.

I know exactly what is it.  I can answer any question you have on it?

But yes, their silence is hurting public perception.  That's why I say they must follow the PsHome model and released a small but polished VRChat app as proof of concept, asap.  The fact they've failed to do so this year can only be blamed on incompetence,

Edited by thisintegrated

5 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I know exactly what is it.  I can answer any question you have on it?

But yes, their silence is hurting public perception.  That's why I say they must follow the PsHome model and released a small but polished VRChat app as proof of concept.

what is meta verse

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.04.54 AM.png

24 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

what is meta verse

Basically, what the Metaverse is is the playstation network, but not by Sony, and not limited to gaming.

So on the PSN you can have friend lists, and with that community of friends you can play any PSN games together.  You can chat while playing CoD together, and you can then keep chatting and switch to another multiplayer game.

The Meta VR headsets are like a PS5, except it's VR and not limited to games.  So instead of just being able to switch between games with friends, you can also switch to the cinema app, or if you get a call from work you may quickly switch to the conference app, or you can combine them and be fully immersed in a 3D/VR game and just have the cinema or conference as a virtual 80" TV floating screen off to the side somewhere.

If you wanna visit your friend's house, they could scan their house and invite you over to an exact replica.  Maybe Elon wants to throw a virtual party, millions could attend and see him move/talk/communicate in person.  People could comment on his choice of furniture or whatever.  Clearly the demand is there for such types of interaction, look at how popular instagram is for seeing what famous people are up to.  Musicians could host concerts in virtual spaces, enabling performances for low budget indie bands.  Sports events could be watched from any arbitrary place within the arena.  etc.

The Metaverse is the PSN but for every activity you can think of.  It's like an operating system, and the apps are whatever people wanna make.  If you wanna live in a billionaire's mansion, you can only do that in VR.  The experience will eventually become indistinguishable from rl, but since it's virtual it can be copy/pasted infinitely, that's the advantage of VR.  If you're redesigning your house and wanna see what it's like with a 100" TV, you might not like and and have to get rid of it.  In VR, you can try out a hundred different TVs/furniture/appliances, and whatever you don't like you can throw away without it costing a penny or any time.

When I had my Oculus Rift, I would go to a VR cinema and watch stuff with friends.  Though often I'd just watch anime in a cinema alone.  How else are you gonna do that? VR is the only way to make that possible.  And this was in 2016.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.04.54 AM.png

lmao

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated I don't see the practicality. I'm gonna have to side with the sensors on this one. Now the song's not just about the Christian God or earth-visiting aliens; it's about deep AI and the practicalities of the "Metaverse".

1 minute ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated I don't see the practicality. I'm gonna have to side with the sensors on this one. Now the song's not just about the Christian God or earth-visiting aliens; it's about deep AI and the practicalities of the "Metaverse".

You don't see the appeal of ..immersive video games?  Immersive movies better than cinema 3D?

Well you are an INTJ.  This is what I expect.  

Edited by thisintegrated

Just now, thisintegrated said:

You don't see the appeal of ..immersive video games?  Immersive movies better than cinema 3D?

Yes, I don't.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 7.56.42 PM.png

Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

Yes, I don't.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 7.56.42 PM.png

What appeal do you see in the 2D version of those?  Why pay a premium for a 2D experience?

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

What appeal do you see in the 2D version of those?  Why pay a premium for a 2D experience?

Video games are mostly a waste of time. 3D movies are nauseating.

2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Video games are mostly a waste of time. 3D movies are nauseating.

I don't think anyone would agree with you there.

Only other INTJs like @Leo Gura

Edited by thisintegrated

Metaverse is the next step in the evolution of social media.

Unfortunately, it is not for the benefit of mankind.

It's a step in the direction of de-evolution of human spirit.

14 hours ago, vladorion said:

Metaverse is the next step in the evolution of social media.

Correct.

14 hours ago, vladorion said:

Unfortunately, it is not for the benefit of mankind.

It's a step in the direction of de-evolution of human spirit.

Incorrect.

This is an overly Green/biased view (Greens have a pro-nature bias and an anti-capitalism bias).