at_anchor

Ashram

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone here know some affordable Hindu or Buddhist monestary where I can go to for the next 5-10 years to seek enlightenment and peace for a while, that offers a dormitory, clean water and food of course? What do you think about Christian monestaries? I'm kind of not able to survive where I'm at and yup, I would go chase it while deep down desiring basic stuff more than enlightenment or a piece of peace and God. Still, this is just an idea.

@at_anchor The best monastery is your home.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Ashrams and monasteries tend to be too much cultish/new agey/dogmatic system/guru worship.

If you want to clean destractions from your mind space or physical space, just do it, don't create more destractions by going to an Ashram or Monastery.

How about enlightenment intensives? Or vipassana retreats or other retreats that follow a direct path like inquiry?

Ask yourself if you're really approaching the monastic life for the right reasons, or if you're just using it as a way to escape from everyday life and responsibilities.

Becoming a monk isn't an easy way out where you just get to sit around and do nothing, meditate a couple of hours a day when you feel like it. It's hard f**king work. 

When you're not praying or begging for food, you'll be doing difficult and physically-demanding chores. Then you go back to your empty room that's too hot in the summer and freezing in the winter and try to get a few hours sleep before you wake up at like 3 - 5 am and do it again.

Do you know maybe some river or spring or someplace where I can go camp to for the next couple of years and maybe get back the motivation to read some Hindu or Buddhist texts, texts that I don't have atm

Edited by at_anchor