Rob06

Deep fear after state-change in meditation

10 posts in this topic

For about a year, I sometimes experience a phenomenon during meditation that I'm not sure how to work through. I spontaneously fall into a state of being where the "physical" seems to dissolve and become more fluid. It's almost like it is all sucked into an emptiness, accompanied by my sense of self dissolving. I realize that this is the point of meditation, and it feels quite peaceful at first. But then all of a sudden a deep fear arises out of nothing. My heartbeat rises, and thoughts of death come up, along with some other psycho-somatic stuff. I usually just try to focus on the fear. It slowly fades away, and I'm back at my normal state of consciousness.

Any tips on working through this fear as it comes up?

@Rob06 It's a good sign and means that you are opening up for the deeper dimensions of life. Personally its a stage that I went through first time when I was 17/18 years old, and later again when 22. So you will probaly go through it many times in different ways before you get a good intuition and understanding of what it is. Its a journey so don't react strongly to these phenomenas. But the best I can say is just observe it and don't react, you are not gonna die ;)

I am still suffering from the same, though less. What helped me was writing about it on the forum. Your fear is badly defined. Try it in more detail and you will see next time its not so bad. Simply describing it makes you more familiar. And the more you know the less afraid of it you are.

At one point I was conscious how I placed these fears to protect myself against self harm because the only thing that could hurt me is me. So when I feel this fear I acknowledge it and say thank you then move onwards.

This is a pretty sharp explanation that might help you:

Let go of everything or keep suffering. I didn't do that, and I'm still suffering :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Congratulations 9_9 The more honed your meditation, the harder your ego will fight to stay alive. It cannot stand the present state of no-thought. Fighting with it only empowers it, so let your thoughts be while recognizing that they are not who you ultimately are.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Moksha hello! where were you? you retired alone in a cave in a mountain? surely something like that. I'm happy to see you again 

Thank you, @Breakingthewall it's good to hear from you as well. Metaphorically, retiring alone in a cave is exactly what I did xD

I'm happy to see so many familiar faces still here. Sorry to learn that @Nahm isn't one of them, he gave so much to this community.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 13.11.2022. at 0:28 AM, Moksha said:

Congratulations 9_9 The more honed your meditation, the harder your ego will fight to stay alive. It cannot stand the present state of no-thought. Fighting with it only empowers it, so let your thoughts be while recognizing that they are not who you ultimately are.

@Zeroguy ? Thanks for sharing. I've only seen a few of Leo's videos, but it always strikes me how we arrived at such similar realizations along such different paths.