kray

Best WW1 film I’ve seen

14 posts in this topic

We very rarely see the other side in these events. When we do, we realize that the “bad” guys are as much trying to be good as the “good” guys. 

ooo I heard good things about it. 1917 was awesome, but this seems to score much higher. 

A lot of war movies from Hollywood are just dumb and over-glorifying the American contribution to WW2 or overly focusing on heroism and usually completely disconnected from how the reality was for men on the front.  Curious if this will be different. Not a lot of good WW1 movies out there. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

ooo I heard good things about it. 1917 was awesome, but this seems to score much higher. 

A lot of war movies from Hollywood are just dumb and over-glorifying the American contribution to WW2 or overly focusing on heroism and usually completely disconnected from how the reality was for men on the front.  Curious if this will be different. Not a lot of good WW1 movies out there. 

I don’t think the Americans contributed as much for WW1 tbh. WW1, while not as many fatalities as WW2, was definitely much deadlier especially with all the trench warfare and that. 

@kray i meant ww2 ? as that's what most war movies are about. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

@kray i meant ww2 ? as that's what most war movies are about. 

Yea for sure, I mean as bad as the nazis were, most were victims of propaganda and at the end day were just “following” orders.

What annoyed me the most about the ww1 is that the generals were sat like 30 miles behind the front line having fancy dinners and wine whilst young brainwashed working class men were spilling their guts because they were all herded like sheep to die for a pointless cause, european wars have always been pointless, you wouldn't see aristocrats sending their sons out too die. Thought it showed the brutal and dehumanising nature of war, they were all just scared little boys really, imagine being in such an environment at 17 being bombed to bits and fighting too the bloody death with the enemy. I thought the final the tank scene was the greatest a man begging for his life as flamethrower men just incinerated him was hard to stomach and believe and the man being squashed by the tank like he was an insect, makes you so disappointed in human nature, we can do better. Suppose its easy for me to say that with my 21st century perspective.

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

On 10/11/2022 at 11:21 PM, kray said:

Yea for sure, I mean as bad as the nazis were, most were victims of propaganda and at the end day were just “following” orders.

To a degree, yes. I recently finished Max Hasting's - All Hell Let Loose, which is basically a biography of WW2 and he spends a lot of time describing the socio-economic aspects and the attitude of German population towards war. Not all were against and not all were just following orders. A significant part of the population believed they were doing a greater good, were the pro-holocaust and pro-final solution although perhaps they were not aware of how that was conducted and the magnitude of that ethnic cleansing. Not to mention there was general eagerness among German youth to join Wehrmacht, especially during the preparation of Barbarossa.  

Brainwashing was pretty significant but from the way he described it, many followed orders more than willingly. Perhaps not at the end anymore when the red army was re-taking Europe and once the tide has changed for the German army but definitely so in the early stages. 

Same for the Japanese in the war, the eagerness to commit one's life for a cause went beyond what ordinary men following orders (such as the Allied armies) were willing to do. The Japanese insane banzai charge at the island of Saipan was a demonstration of that. 

Edited by Michael569

On 10/11/2022 at 3:53 PM, Michael569 said:

@Michael569 ye I always feel this video puts the respective contributions of different countries in WW2 into perspective

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Yeah, I always like looking at actual footage of these types of events with overviews of how the battles went.

Cinematically this film was cool, the fighting scenes were brutal and well made. Makes me want to play Battlefield 1 again!

But yeah the movie was boring and had no story or interesting character development. Just felt like a random bunch of scenes about WW1 put together.

1917 was worth watching, this isn't. IMO.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

9 minutes ago, Roy said:

Cinematically this film was cool, the fighting scenes were brutal and well made. Makes me want to play Battlefield 1 again!

But yeah the movie was boring and had no story or interesting character development. Just felt like a random bunch of scenes about WW1 put together.

1917 was worth watching, this isn't. IMO.

It was more an accurate picture of a soldier and the brutality of ww1