LordFall

Palmer Luckey Makes A VR Headset That Will Kill You If You Die In Game

14 posts in this topic

https://futurism.com/oculus-founder-vr-headset-kills

sword-art-online-palmer-luckey-headset-k

For those unaware, Palmer Luckey is the original creator of the Oculus Rift which he originally sold to Facebook for $2 billion dollars in 2014. The concept is literally real and is rigged with live explosives and is meant to replicate a similar device from the anime Sword Art Online.

I wouldn't blame you for thinking this is a joke but Palmer Luckey after the sale of his company founded the military contracting company Anduril Industries which is contracted as we speak by the US government and won a $1 billion dollar contract in 2020 and another $1 in 2022. 

He seems to be dead serious about the concept and explains it as similar to extreme sports that are more interesting with higher stakes, not being crazy since guns are legal, and apparently has a revenge complex for being ousted from his company. 

yixVs1N.pnghO56meT.pngMMJ7Kty.png

I find this extremely concerning and the reason I posted this in this subsection is we're headed straight for years of recession in an economy where most people are already desperately poor with no hope forward and there are more rich bored people than ever.

We could literally live in a reality where this becomes an extreme sport where in somewhere like Dubai poor people are flown in and paid ridiculous sums of cash to compete to the death in VR games. 

Welcome to late-stage capitalism boys and girls. 

Edited by LordFall

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

Like you say, rich people are already capable of flying people in to fight to the death, Squid Games style though.

If I was a billionaire, I'd find it way more satisfying to have an IRL gladiator arena than to watch someone die in a video game and have their head explode. 

If you get caught running this kind of ring, your crime is gonna be mass murder either way. Even if you ship headsets to poor people and they willingly put it on. So why would you ever opt for VR hunger games instead of IRL hunger games?

1 hour ago, Yarco said:

Like you say, rich people are already capable of flying people in to fight to the death, Squid Games style though.

If I was a billionaire, I'd find it way more satisfying to have an IRL gladiator arena than to watch someone die in a video game and have their head explode. 

If you get caught running this kind of ring, your crime is gonna be mass murder either way. Even if you ship headsets to poor people and they willingly put it on. So why would you ever opt for VR hunger games instead of IRL hunger games?

Because it would be legal and marketable. Guaranteed they could find a loophole in a  country that would allow it under some voluntary enrollment stipulation and having a VR video game facade would make it a lot more palatable for people than just straight up real life slaughter. On top of crypto and gambling's recent popularity and influencers challenging themselves to fights being common now I think it would be a popular concept. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

6 hours ago, LordFall said:

We could literally live in a reality where this becomes an extreme sport where in somewhere like Dubai poor people are flown in and paid ridiculous sums of cash to compete to the death in VR games. 

Welcome to late-stage capitalism boys and girls. 

... or just a typical end-stage of a culture.  Or, for that matter, not even "end-stage" but just a relatively common part of many cultures in history:  Gladiators, that Mayan game where the winner's captain gets decapitated, Egyptian fisherman joust sounds dangerous.  I assume there's more... maybe not of killing being exactly a part of the sport, but where the sport is dangerous enough that dying and serious injury were a legit possibility.  Even Medieval jousting looks hella cray cray. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I don't know what the big deal is. I always play my games with explosives strapped to my nuts.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't know what the big deal is. I always play my games with explosives strapped to my nuts.

That image deserves to be made into a work of art titled: "Leo in a Nutshell."  :) 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Leo Gura that's where you get your iron balls from. No wonder it's easy for your to approach people

Sure gives a whole new meaning to the word "game".

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There is an anime about it - sword masters online it's called

Cool concept, but not sure about ethics of it

On the other hand, people die every year in underground fight tournaments with out rules and stuff, so it's kinda and extension of it but in a cooler way cause here you'll be fighting in a fantasy settings 

4 hours ago, AMTO said:

an I delete my account, please. I’ve literally been asking for weeks now.

message me if you want to have your account deleted and locked 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, AMTO said:

@Leo Gura Can I delete my account, please. I’ve literally been asking for weeks now. 

Why do you want to delete it? Just don’t visit the forum. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@AMTO Instead of participating in the forum, why not just be an observer. Read what the people are saying without entering the conversation. You don’t even need an account for that. You can also ignore the users you don’t like, so you won’t see their posts. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie